• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit to fancy upscale bars. Good idea?

iloveshirts

Reaction score
Sure, but I only suggested that OP consider the actual venue and the manner in which his party, if any, is dressed. Helps to avoid coming off as very #menswear and try-hard by significantly outdressing your companions or ignoring the actual vibe of the particular bar (aside from the cost of drinks and its physical appearance).

I've worn suits out to bars and have seen plenty of others do it as well.

Please accept my apologies. I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I should have stated that I only intend a wear at the types of bars which are frequented by other suit wearers. The upscale ones if you like. I wouldn't dream of wearing a suit and then heading off to a sports/dive bar in a suit. That would be a bit over the top.

Also, one of my guilty pleasures is eating out in nice restaurants where mostly a jacket is required. What tends to happen is that we go for a nice meal and then we hit the bars. Over in the U.K. it is pretty cold most of the time so we tend not to want to take our jackets off!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure, but I only suggested that OP consider the actual venue and the manner in which his party, if any, is dressed. Helps to avoid coming off as very #menswear and try-hard by significantly outdressing your companions or ignoring the actual vibe of the particular bar (aside from the cost of drinks and its physical appearance).

I say power through it. Be strong.

Wear a stroller to a bar if you're going in the afternoon, and then a tuxedo at night. Do this for a year. When you then wear a suit to the same bar, your companions will appreciate that you're now dressed down.

BPL Esq

Reaction score

Wear a stroller to a bar if you're going in the afternoon, and then a tuxedo at night. Do this for a year. When you then wear a suit to the same bar, your companions will appreciate that you're now dressed down.

Oh, if the goal is to assert one's dominance, I say full steam ahead.

iloveshirts

Reaction score

? love it!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think to suit sans tie and patterned shirt but one which is not OTT?
I hate the suit-without-a-tie look--it's neither fish nor fowl--but particularly when worn to a bar. It gives me major douchebro vibes. You know, a guy who would name-check a drink order with a "good" liquor: "Bartender, I would like a Grey Goose martini."

iloveshirts

Reaction score
I hate the suit-without-a-tie look--it's neither fish nor fowl--but particularly when worn to a bar. It gives me major douchebro vibes. You know, a guy who would name-check a drink order with a "good" liquor: "Bartender, I would like a Grey Goose martini."

I totally agree. I think a suit without a tie looks incomplete and very flimsy. What was the point of wearing a suit in the first place if your going to skip the tie?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Last Word: Insufferable snob. Probably posts on an internet forum devoted to mens clothing nobody wears anymore.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
No thanks...
Sooner or later, you'll have to go to the bathroom.
View attachment 1601241

Ha, manky dive bar bathrooms are my line in the sand, because a piss-soaked floor is the natural enemy of my suede shoes. The owner of my local is a friend of mine who spent years working in the restaurant trade in the UK before heading home and pretty much singlehandedly introducing the concept of good service and reliably cold beer to Mongolia. He used to own another bar just down the road and a little closer to my place, which I preferred at the time, but when he sold his stake the new owners turned it into a dive bar and scared me away. You can now smell the bathroom from the bar. You can almost smell it from the street as you walk by. The only way it differs from the picture you shared is that the graffiti artists here have less imagination, and they work with a much more limited colour palette of black permanent markers.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also really like dingy dive bars, although I try not to use the bathroom while there. Good dive bars can have a lot of character.

The only bad bars are sports bars

image.jpeg

Last edited:

iloveshirts

Reaction score
Ha, manky dive bar bathrooms are my line in the sand, because a piss-soaked floor is the natural enemy of my suede shoes. The owner of my local is a friend of mine who spent years working in the restaurant trade in the UK before heading home and pretty much singlehandedly introducing the concept of good service and reliably cold beer to Mongolia. He used to own another bar just down the road and a little closer to my place, which I preferred at the time, but when he sold his stake the new owners turned it into a dive bar and scared me away. You can now smell the bathroom from the bar. You can almost smell it from the street as you walk by. The only way it differs from the picture you shared is that the graffiti artists here have less imagination, and they work with a much more limited colour palette of black permanent markers.

That sounds disgusting! We have a few bars like that near where I live. I don't know how people can sit there and enjoy a drink. What do you think the best bars in the U.K. are? I'm in need of a few good recommendations!

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
That sounds disgusting! We have a few bars like that near where I live. I don't know how people can sit there and enjoy a drink. What do you think the best bars in the U.K. are? I'm in need of a few good recommendations!

I left the UK around 2009 so I’ve no idea, but as long as it’s not a Wetherspoons (for political reasons I loathe Tim Martin) they’re mostly fine, provided the music isn’t too loud to hear yourself think. I go to the pub to catch up with friends rather than meet women or be seen at the coolest new spot, so I always felt most at home in a smoky pub with a bunch of grumbling old men and a pool table with torn baize :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads