• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wearing a suit to fancy upscale bars. Good idea?

johng70

Reaction score
In my opinion, if the bar has others that wear suits, your decision should be based upon the people you are going there with. If you wearing a suit while they wear more casual attire doesn't put them off, then by all means do it. If it puts them off but you don't care, then by all means do it. If you're not going with anyone then rock on and dress how you like - others are wearing suits there so no big deal.

iloveshirts

Reaction score
In my opinion, if the bar has others that wear suits, your decision should be based upon the people you are going there with. If you wearing a suit while they wear more casual attire doesn't put them off, then by all means do it. If it puts them off but you don't care, then by all means do it. If you're not going with anyone then rock on and dress how you like - others are wearing suits there so no big deal.
My friends are all like minded so if we do wear suits we all wear suits.

iloveshirts

Reaction score
Deffo the first pic. How tight are that pants on those guys at the bottom!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, manky dive bar bathrooms are my line in the sand, because a piss-soaked floor is the natural enemy of my suede shoes. The owner of my local is a friend of mine who spent years working in the restaurant trade in the UK before heading home and pretty much singlehandedly introducing the concept of good service and reliably cold beer to Mongolia. He used to own another bar just down the road and a little closer to my place, which I preferred at the time, but when he sold his stake the new owners turned it into a dive bar and scared me away. You can now smell the bathroom from the bar. You can almost smell it from the street as you walk by. The only way it differs from the picture you shared is that the graffiti artists here have less imagination, and they work with a much more limited colour palette of black permanent markers.
Mongolia??
Ngl, I find that pretty cool.
Now I'm picturing you at Marion's place from Raiders...

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Mongolia??
Ngl, I find that pretty cool.
Now I'm picturing you at Marion's place from Raiders...
Not all that long ago you wouldn’t have been far off. You can still find bars with that kind of vibe out in the sticks, but these days the capital is as modern as any other, give or take the occasional camel walking down the street. I sort of miss the rough and tumble old days, but reliable electricity delivering a steady supply of cold beer isn’t a bad trade.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Suit to bars ... When I am travelling on work, yes, all the time. When I am home ... No ... I think the idea of upscale bars we are talking about here is an urban thing and my locale is rural - which means pubs rather than bars. No one under 60 would dream of it. The old boys are out in their tweed pretty much every day though. Some times you might see a group of younger lads all dressed up and my first thought is always that it is some sort of event, rather than these are guys who generally dress like this. Sometimes you see one very well dressed guy sitting with a crowd of, for want of a nicer word, bumpkins (for reference, just imagine the skinny jeans guys in the picture posted above) - and I generally just assume he is an internet menswear enthusiast. I might even go over and buy him a drink and chat to him about where he gets his clothes.

Suits to bars in the city, though, I think is very much linked to the purpose that the city bar serves as a "drinking hole" for after-work shenanigans when people are naturally wearing suits anyway. I lived in London for many years, and would generally be wearing a suit if I was I an upmarket bar and would be there for some reason to do with work. When I headed out on a weekend crawl everyone dressed casually and we would avoid the places where people wore suits because, to be frank, they often weren't that fun. Bear in mind this was a time in my life where the main aim of going out was to meet people, hopefully ones of the opposite sex. Those upmarket places aren't really geared towards meeting people, they're more set up to provide a nice atmosphere for people to have a nice time with the group's they've gone out with.

iloveshirts

Reaction score
Suit to bars ... When I am travelling on work, yes, all the time. When I am home ... No ... I think the idea of upscale bars we are talking about here is an urban thing and my locale is rural - which means pubs rather than bars. No one under 60 would dream of it. The old boys are out in their tweed pretty much every day though. Some times you might see a group of younger lads all dressed up and my first thought is always that it is some sort of event, rather than these are guys who generally dress like this. Sometimes you see one very well dressed guy sitting with a crowd of, for want of a nicer word, bumpkins (for reference, just imagine the skinny jeans guys in the picture posted above) - and I generally just assume he is an internet menswear enthusiast. I might even go over and buy him a drink and chat to him about where he gets his clothes.

Suits to bars in the city, though, I think is very much linked to the purpose that the city bar serves as a "drinking hole" for after-work shenanigans when people are naturally wearing suits anyway. I lived in London for many years, and would generally be wearing a suit if I was I an upmarket bar and would be there for some reason to do with work. When I headed out on a weekend crawl everyone dressed casually and we would avoid the places where people wore suits because, to be frank, they often weren't that fun. Bear in mind this was a time in my life where the main aim of going out was to meet people, hopefully ones of the opposite sex. Those upmarket places aren't really geared towards meeting people, they're more set up to provide a nice atmosphere for people to have a nice time with the group's they've gone out with.
I have had a rather different experience. In the past when I occasionally wore suits and frequented the so called higher end bars I found that not only did I have a better night but I had a lot more success with women. Some women even approached me!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.