• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition

Reaction score
Augustus, a similar pair to that fourth pair that you posted - the Meermin - might be the Alfred Sargent Culford (on their 89 last) or the Alfred Sargent Cambridge (on their 87 last). The 89 last comes up a good shade generous in my experience of the Culford boots - I would suggest it is designed for thick country socks.

Your second link is cut short, but I presume it was for the Loake Bedale in mahogany? Loake 1880 range are reasonable however I haven't ever been entirely convinced.

If you are in the UK, they are easy to try for size - the Pennine last is used in a number of models. For me I found it had a fair bit of volume in the instep, and so regarding sizing you may be able to go a half down on your 'regular' fit dress or formal shoe size. Again, it's meant for thick socks though, it isn't a dress boot by any stretch.

I do not like the new Grenson 'G Two' range, the leather seems particularly poor to me. Well, they are made in India. That said, the 201 last is a very comfortable fit in my experience of their Archie brogue.

Alternatives...? Loake Dovedale or Barker Lambourne perhaps ... or if you find another wad of cash, something from Crockett and Jones.

Check out Pediwear of Halifax, great people at the shop.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll look at all of those now.

I mentioned segs earlier, one of the reasons I mentioned leather soles is because I've always had metal segs fitted to leather soles to make sure they last. It means I'm put off by rubber soles - am I right in thinking I'd only be able to get rubber segs fitted to those?

so for example - http://www.loake.co.uk/loake-1880/dovedale.html really like these, preferably in a darker colour but I instantly move on from them when I see the rubber soles. Maybe I'm, being foolish so thought I'd get some clarification.

Reaction score
Augustus, welcome. Are you in the UK?

I am yeah. Actually in the US at the moment but return from Boston in a few days. Looked in a few places over here but as I mentioned in my first post Brooks Brothers is outside of my price range.

I'm not in a huge rush. It's a big purchase for me so want to make sure I make a good decision.

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have paid more attention - I read the bit about leather soles, and promptly glossed over it!

Personally, I prefer leather as well. Commando soles are too cumbersome in my opinion, and I do not like dainite soles at all. Totally ineffectual in the wet, and uncomfortable under foot in my experience.

It divides opinion quite considerably, and I see the argument against it but I actually like a half rubber sole stuck on to the leather sole - a topy in other words. No experience with segs however.

Some of the suggestions I posted are actually over budget - but you might get a deal on the AS Culford from a certain respected retailer who posts on here occasionally... if you can deal with a dainite sole. It is a great boot.

You don't need to spend the earth quite frankly for something entirely serviceable. MOST important and before you even open your wallet, get an idea of the merits of a few different lasts and get to understand what works for your foot. For example, personally I like a relatively swung last - that is, one which shows some inflare. I won't wear anything that even remotely clips my big toe.

I'll have a think what else I can recall or might have had/tried or just considered myself.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am yeah. Actually in the US at the moment but return from Boston in a few days. Looked in a few places over here but as I mentioned in my first post Brooks Brothers is outside of my price range.

I'm not in a huge rush. It's a big purchase for me so want to make sure I make a good decision. 

V good. Just a personal opinion but spread your net. There is more out there, let us know when you're back in blighty :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ohh that was the exact reason for my first post, I've get waaaay less knowledge than a lot of you guys so want to find out as much as possible before purchasing.

Really like the dovedales that were mentioned, if only they had a leather sole. ...

jssdc

Reaction score
Are you a student in the US (ie will you be returning)? If you have these (or any others) shipped to a US address you'll save on VAT which brings them within your specific budget.

Ordering direct from Cheaney includes free delivery. The Shoe Healer does this as well - and I would give them some pretty serious props for service when I ordered a pair of boots earlier this year.

Reaction score
I'm just on holiday on the east coast unfortunately. I think I can just about stretch to £300 if it's for the right boots. The VAT pushes it to £354 so it's over £100 above my budget. Hmmm.

jssdc

Reaction score

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XPost from EG:
13105905605_764765ca0c.jpg

Chanklebury

Reaction score
I've had those Cheaney Tweed in dark leaf. Here's some images from a year or so ago when I had them. Pictures aren't great as it was an old camera but maybe it'll give you some idea outside of stock photo's. 12508 last, double leather sole. (Watch out - the 'almond' grain are on commando sole).

(click for bigger pic).

If you shop around and look out for sales you can occasionally pick them up less than the RRP £295. I wouldn't pay full retail.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots. I know the EG Heather Gorse boots were a popular GMTO but I still find it hard spending that much money on country boots. For city shoes, yes. Maybe I'm just cheap. XPost from EG: Ancel
13131132694_f3744d8d5b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads