• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing A Cheap H&M Leather Jacket - Before and after Pics

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
leather-wise, I like a genuine, honest fade and creasing. I don't believe excessive tanning wax is essential to the look, but I am well over the Rick, Julius, etc, leathers. Was never really into them in the first place but the Julius leather aesthetic is flailing about like a dying fish on the beach and nobody really wants to throw it back into the water. Eventually we will all come back to the classic styles of leathers, genuinely worn-in, and will be compaing them here, someday.

I like pre-distressed stuff sometimes but it's like watching Appreciation. I know I probably shouldn't and somebody who loves me will catch me in the act, but I still do it anyway.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I like pre-distressed stuff sometimes but it's like watching Appreciation. I know I probably shouldn't and somebody who loves me will catch me in the act, but I still do it anyway.

This is good.

rjacobs

Reaction score
To those who asked, the measurements before washing were:

Shoulder: 19
Pit-to-Pit: 21.5
Sleeve: 25.5
Back Length: 25.5

After washing, P-P was more like 21 even and back was more like 21 even. Sleeve and shoulder were roughly the same. It's noticeable to me when I wear it though, I'd call it a move from a size 40 to a size 39.

Also, if you do decide to try this yourself, I think conditioning is key. I noticed after 2 days of drying the leather really started to feel a little rough and unhealthy, and that's when you want to get the coat of Lexol on it.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for this thread, there is a leather jacket I own that I think would benefit from this process. I actually started to think about wetting leather it a while back when I was caught in the rain and had the umbrella only on one side of me. The sleeve that was soaking wet at the end of the night dried up slimmer and duller and I thought it looked pretty nice. Maybe one of these days when I get a lot of free time I will try to "wash" this jacket completely.

cez

Reaction score
Pre-wash

4744646986_0b0d9abb62_b.jpg

4746290118_4846e915c3_b.jpg

4745651275_1a6736c8d0_b.jpg

wash

4748404470_505a9fdfe8_b.jpg

4747762775_2ca2ceb1c9_b.jpg

Post-wash

4765393621_9bcbe6db18_b.jpg

4765398451_81ccc588ec_b.jpg

4766035594_abf81e5391_b.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cez

Reaction score
Yes. A bit actually. I would say at least one size. I was debating having it taken in before, now it's perfect.

Whiskey

Reaction score
Cez - did you put any conditioner?

i think im going to soak my BS this week...ill post after

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
Cez that looks awesome man, likely nicer than the real thing heh

So I take it you won't try to wash your red leather jacket, which is sweet btw?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads