• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skunklab

Reaction score
I thought I'd introduce myself to this thread with a Visvim Mystery -- a couple years ago I bought a Pilar fisherman vest through Firmament in Berlin and was intrigued, when it showed up in the mail, to see that the tag said "vsvm" -- I went back to the Firmament site and saw, in the close-up shots, that all their pieces had this tag. (The attached pic is from, like, a Jumbo 101 they carry.)
I know that some older Vis pieces have tags that say "vsvm," but this was different -- it's the "current" Visvim tag, but with no vowels.
I emailed Firmament asking them if they could shed some light on this, and heard nothing back. The next time I was at Visvim Exposition in L.A. I showed the vest to a guy working there, who looked into it and contacted me a few days later to say that there is *another* brand in Germany called Visvim and so for legal reasons their tags in Germany are the vowelless versions!
I've tried without success to Google up what the *other* German Visvim might possibly be. In the meantime this remains a strange variant that I find both mystifying and kind of satisfying...
I wonder if anyone on here -- perhaps a German based Vis head? -- has insight into this.
Beyond that, hello friends!
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 10.02.25 AM.png

RaiseThePrice

Reaction score
I thought I'd introduce myself to this thread with a Visvim Mystery -- a couple years ago I bought a Pilar fisherman vest through Firmament in Berlin and was intrigued, when it showed up in the mail, to see that the tag said "vsvm" -- I went back to the Firmament site and saw, in the close-up shots, that all their pieces had this tag. (The attached pic is from, like, a Jumbo 101 they carry.)
I know that some older Vis pieces have tags that say "vsvm," but this was different -- it's the "current" Visvim tag, but with no vowels.
I emailed Firmament asking them if they could shed some light on this, and heard nothing back. The next time I was at Visvim Exposition in L.A. I showed the vest to a guy working there, who looked into it and contacted me a few days later to say that there is *another* brand in Germany called Visvim and so for legal reasons their tags in Germany are the vowelless versions!
I've tried without success to Google up what the *other* German Visvim might possibly be. In the meantime this remains a strange variant that I find both mystifying and kind of satisfying...
I wonder if anyone on here -- perhaps a German based Vis head? -- has insight into this.
Beyond that, hello friends!
View attachment 1626004

never heard about a german brand called visvim. i was told the tag is used because of some legal reasons in europe.

Retlas

Reaction score
Yeah i dont know the details behind it but have a few pieces from Firmament myself with the missing vowels.... there are German guys on here so perhaps they know

Emixam

Reaction score
There is a legal reason indeed for the brand to rebrand it differently in europe, that's why you find vsvm at every European retailers. However I don't think this is due to another brand being called visvim.

Guzzy

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

I recently purchased a lumber shirt on grailed from the seller SMLA.... and i just received it. Though through inspection while looking at the shirt I had notice that there are no size tags and or the model number/care label tags, do you guys know if this has ever happened?

Or do you think I just bought a fake/unauthentic item? Really hoping you guys can help me out. Here are some pictures to help you guys out. I didnt even realize there would be fakes for this lumber shirt and he had really good reviews on grailed...

Attachments

• CD59CBF1-C072-4396-AF1B-39D71479546B.jpeg
    CD59CBF1-C072-4396-AF1B-39D71479546B.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2E2B458A-F433-4581-9D1B-000AD3058792.jpeg
    2E2B458A-F433-4581-9D1B-000AD3058792.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 139

shopsecondhandvisvim

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

I recently purchased a lumber shirt on grailed from the seller SMLA.... and i just received it. Though through inspection while looking at the shirt I had notice that there are no size tags and or the model number/care label tags, do you guys know if this has ever happened?

Or do you think I just bought a fake/unauthentic item? Really hoping you guys can help me out. Here are some pictures to help you guys out. I didnt even realize there would be fakes for this lumber shirt and he had really good reviews on grailed...
Hey, I’ve ordered multiple visvim pieces from him and they were all legit. That’s actually Simon Miller, the renowned Japanese denim designer. Also he took off the tags on one of my purchases because it was itchy. He could’ve just done that on this item.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

no, that's never happened, especially since this is a new model. I'm sorry to tell you, it's probably fake. It's always good practice to request pics of tags before purchase or at least have them give you a reason for missing tags since many just drop ship off japanese websites and don't actually own the item. That whole Grailed "inspection" thing is just a load of crap. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Guzzy

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

Could he have possibly just cut off the tags? I see some inconsistencies on the bottom right where i think it would be...
Hey, I’ve ordered multiple visvim pieces from him and they were all legit. That’s actually Simon Miller, the renowned Japanese denim designer. Also he took off the tags on one of my purchases because it was itchy. He could’ve just done that on this item.
Thanks for the quick reply! Seems legit and the stories line up, he just replied and told me the same thing that he cuts off the tags as he doesnt really care for them/get itchy sometimes. This gives me a sigh of relief.

Guzzy

Reaction score
no, that's never happened, especially since this is a new model. I'm sorry to tell you, it's probably fake. It's always good practice to request pics of tags before purchase or at least have them give you a reason of missing tags since many just drop ship off japanese websites and don't actually own the item. That whole Grailed "inspection" thing is just a load of crap. Buyer beware.
Looking closer into the tags (fil/cubism & made in japan) they line up and match perfectly to my other visvim pieces and with finding out that the original owner cuts/takes off the tag im leaning towards that its legit. Also i can kinda see where the tag used to be now with a loose thread of where the tags used to be.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of Eiger shorts. Yet another example of visvim sizing nonsense. They do fit but they are a full 8cm narrower on the waist than the site says! ?

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vis webstore measurements are a mystery
The Eiger was the only pant/short I thought I could trust as the jumbo pants I had before were definitely roomier. Maybe as its an earlier release? SS18? It's one reason why I haven't bought any of legwear from Vis. Denim is too small and the High Water Chinos in a 5 were laughable!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads