• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting New York City-MTM shirts

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I've been keeping close tabs on the various online MTM shirt debates as of late as I live in Orlando, a sort of fashion hell.

It just occured to me that I'm visiting New York City next week. Could you guys reccomend a place there where a tailor would take my measurements for an MTM shirt? It occurs to me that if they took my measurements once I could just order from them at will in the future.

Of course I would order one shirt on the spot so they knew I wasn't wasting their time/to reward them for their time. I'm willing to spend as high as around 70-80$ per shirt. I'm shooting for a range between the painfully unpredictable Jantzen and shirts in the 100+ range.

Also, like most young MTM shoppers, I'm looking for a slim fit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you work in discounts and open a credit card, you can get MTM shirts from Brooks Brothers for under $100 each. Of course, I've only bought OCBDs from them, so finer fabrics might be a different story.

highball

Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone does shirts that cheap in the city. Most of the local alterations tailor-type places which also make shirts start at about $100.

Pay a visit to Carl (Shirtmaven) on 5th near Madison Square Park. Though his prices run a little higher, and I think his minimum order is 2 shirts, you will not be disappointed: http://www.cego.com/

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
I'm not sure anyone does shirts that cheap in the city. Most of the local alterations tailor-type places which also make shirts start at about $100.

Pay a visit to Carl (Shirtmaven) on 5th near Madison Square Park. Though his prices run a little higher, and I think his minimum order is 2 shirts, you will not be disappointed: http://www.cego.com/

+1

And have lunch at Eisenberg's. Get the Sandwich #9 (aka "The Spitzer," which is hot tongue on rye) and a Lime Rickey. It's a real New York experience.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. It's always beena dream of mine to have a shirtmaker I could call comfortably call by first name.

Does he have a website so that I could continue ordering shirts after returning home?

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
Thanks for the suggestions. It's always beena dream of mine to have a shirtmaker I could call comfortably call by first name.

Does he have a website so that I could continue ordering shirts after returning home?

He has a website - www.cego.com - but you could just order via phone. Either specify what sort of fabric you want, or maybe he could mail you a couple swatches and you could choose. (Or take a couple swatches when you visit him for future orders.)

effang

Reaction score
you take swatch books to him? how is that going to help anything if he doesn't have the materials?

just wondering, since i have a specific shirt i'm looking to get recreated.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang
you take swatch books to him? how is that going to help anything if he doesn't have the materials?

just wondering, since i have a specific shirt i'm looking to get recreated.

I am confused! what is all of the fabric I have on my shelves!!! there is a lot to choose from.
Carl

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I am confused! what is all of the fabric I have on my shelves!!! there is a lot to choose from.
Carl

I'm confused too. I'm not sure why customers would bring fabric. I meant that customers could take swatches from you for future orders.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Carl

Hi Carl, probably see you in about a week. I hope the weather is bearable, I don't even OWN clothes for that weather.

soundsgood

Reaction score
I'm very interested in visiting, my shoulders seem to be broad (really), and my arms are too short.

I checked out the webpage, but I didn't see a pricing chart -- can you give a general rundown?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too would try Cego...I was a customer in the past and would still be but for the fact I don't live in New York and Cego advised I try Freddy bespoke here in Parts Unknown.

Freddy still contacts Cego for fabric supply when something special is requested

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If you work in discounts and open a credit card, you can get MTM shirts from Brooks Brothers for under $100 each. Of course, I've only bought OCBDs from them, so finer fabrics might be a different story.

What's the state of BB's M2M prog.? Aren't they using plastic buttons across fabric levels, even for the "finer" cloths? Also, I quickly handled their high class fabrics and was impressed by some patterns. Your impressions if you've felt the stuff?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Izzy offers Individualized at a significant discount; probably the best deal for MTM in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads