• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke and/or MTM Dress Shirt Advice

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Hello, all. I am thinking of finally dipping my toes into the bespoke or MTM dress shirt arena, to get dress shirts for work/wear with a tie/suite/sport coat. I realize I need to be measured in person, and do not attend to attempt this virtually. I am in Florida, will be in New York City next month, and will be in Italy at the end of the year. I wonder if you all had any experience and/or feedback for:

Turnbull and Asser
Budd Shirtmakers
D'Avino Napoli
Marol 1959
Santillo 1970
Cordone 1956
Proper Cloth
Or any I left off that I should consider.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would start off with Proper Cloth. It’s MTM and I’ve had success with them.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to NY Proper Cloth is a good place to start. They are well priced, and do shirts better than then they do other things.
One caveat on PC, and a reason I don't use them for formal shirts anymore, is that they do not do differing arm lengths - which honestly at their scale is kind of bad.

Turnbull is quite expensive and has a 5 shirt minimum. I honestly wouldn't use them unless you really love their patterns.
Heard good things about Budd.

One you didn't list in NYC is Cego. Have heard great things about them on forum. If you are looking to go bespoke they may be worth a look.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
If you are going to NY Proper Cloth is a good place to start. They are well priced, and do shirts better than then they do other things.
One caveat on PC, and a reason I don't use them for formal shirts anymore, is that they do not do differing arm lengths - which honestly at their scale is kind of bad.

Turnbull is quite expensive and has a 5 shirt minimum. I honestly wouldn't use them unless you really love their patterns.
Heard good things about Budd.

One you didn't list in NYC is Cego. Have heard great things about them on forum. If you are looking to go bespoke they may be worth a look.
Thank you!
What do you mean they don't do different sleeve lengths? They measure everything but the sleeve?
Whom are you using now that you've left them, if I may ask?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
What do you mean they don't do different sleeve lengths? They measure everything but the sleeve?
Whom are you using now that you've left them, if I may ask?

What I mean is they won't do one sleeve longer than another. This is not a problem for some people, bur truthfully almost no one is exactly semetrical. I just have a large difference (3/4 inch longer right arm).

I'm using Divij Hemraijani. Good shirt operation and he will be traveling soon.

I'm not traveling until my young daughter can get vaccinated, but once I'm in NYC again will be trying Cego.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
What I mean is they won't do one sleeve longer than another. This is not a problem for some people, bur truthfully almost no one is exactly semetrical. I just have a large difference (3/4 inch longer right arm).

I'm using Divij Hemraijani. Good shirt operation and he will be traveling soon.

I'm not traveling until my young daughter can get vaccinated, but once I'm in NYC again will be trying Cego.
Ah, OK. Thank you!
I've heard good things about Divij's bespoke suits as well. Have you any experience there? He's based in CA, right?
Do you know if he travels?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, OK. Thank you!
I've heard good things about Divij's bespoke suits as well. Have you any experience there? He's based in CA, right?
Do you know if he travels?

I'm in LA and have a local bespoke tailor I use most of the time. Divij is in Costa Mesa and I'm having a DB linen sportcoat made with him right now to give them a try. Tried it on last week and looking forward to final product.

He's going to start traveling again in June.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You have plenty of options in New York, plenty more in Italy, and most of them are at least good enough value to try. If you want a few dress shrits for work, put together a list of the kinds of shirts you want, go to a few of the places you've heard good things about, try them out for a shirt each. figure out how they cut their collars and which ones you like most from which makers, figure out who carries the fabrics you like...

Oh, and if you're in Miami, pop by Supply and Advise, they're fantastic. Not sure if they actually do their dress shirts MTM, but they carry shirts from 100 Hands, Ring Jacket, Hamilton, and Drake's, so you might really love one off the rack.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Could someone give me a ballpark idea of the price of a bespoke shirt from D'Avino Napoli (or other well-regarded bespoke shirtmakers in Napoli)?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone give me a ballpark idea of the price of a bespoke shirt from D'Avino Napoli (or other well-regarded bespoke shirtmakers in Napoli)?
There are a bunch of makers. On the entry level you’ll find options starting in the €200ish range. D’Avino I believe has had some price increases and will be up over €400. Luca Avitable is very good and would be another in between D’Avino and something like Sannino.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of makers. On the entry level you’ll find options starting in the €200ish range. D’Avino I believe has had some price increases and will be up over €400. Luca Avitable is very good and would be another in between D’Avino and something like Sannino.

Luca Avitable is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads