• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lemonade12

Reaction score
Hi

I haven't read through all of it but what an information rich thread. Great find.

I, too wish to ask a question about a pair of Raybans I received. It's a pair of Predators and has the following markings.

1) Rayban logo in print on to top right lens as well as left outer temple piece
2) BL etching on both lenses near the hinges
3) PS2 print on inner temple piece
4) In the one ear piece, imprinted I.e it's printed into the plastic in slightly raised letters are the numbers W1847 and YSAS.

Are these authentic? From which period are they? There's a small scratch in one of the lenses. I don't have a case to go with it, but what price do you think it is valued at?

Thank you.

twounder2

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if these are real?!

Says wayfarer II, bought today for $20... Hoping they are real vintage glasses, if not at least I am not out a lot! Thanks!

Last edited:

oosterling

Reaction score
@Vintager no didnt miss them, jujst didnt responds
did you do some research yourself?

theyre just standard wayfarers, can be from around 70 - 90s maybe older.
Put them on ebay and youll find out. my best guess is around $70 - $110

oosterling

Reaction score
@Lemonade12 sounds legit, has all the correct marks. im not into predators but i think theyre around 90s. werent they in man in black maybe?
Value... not clue really. Best is to check on ebay were they go for. sorry

oosterling

Reaction score
np

wikipedia

Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses have been manufactured by Ray-Ban since 1956, when their design was a revolutionary break from the metal eyewear of the past. Wayfarers enjoyed early popularity in the 1950s and 1960s. Though the sunglasses had faded from the limelight by the 1970s, a lucrative 1982 product placement deal brought Wayfarers to their height of popularity. Since the mid-2000s, the sunglasses have been enjoying a revival.
Wayfarers are sometimes cited as the best-selling design of sunglasses in history[1][2] (although Ray-Ban Aviators have also been credited with this achievement[3]) and have been called a classic of modern design[4] and one of the most enduring fashion icons of the 20th century.[5]

yours i expect from somewhere mids 80s or newer

enjoy

twounder2

Reaction score

np wikipedia
Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses have been manufactured by Ray-Ban since 1956, when their design was a revolutionary break from the metal eyewear of the past. Wayfarers enjoyed early popularity in the 1950s and 1960s. Though the sunglasses had faded from the limelight by the 1970s, a lucrative 1982 product placement deal brought Wayfarers to their height of popularity. Since the mid-2000s, the sunglasses have been enjoying a revival.
Wayfarers are sometimes cited as the best-selling design of sunglasses in history[SUP][1] [/SUP][SUP][2] [/SUP] (although Ray-Ban Aviators have also been credited with this achievement[SUP][3] [/SUP]) and have been called a classic of modern design[SUP][4] [/SUP] and one of the most enduring fashion icons of the 20th century.[SUP][5] [/SUP]

[SUP]yours i expect from somewhere mids 80s or newer[/SUP]

[SUP]enjoy[/SUP]
Thank you!

smbyoung

Reaction score
My grandparents worked for b&l and I have a big case filled with about 20 pairs. Some still have cases and stickers on them. I am curious about the values. How would I find that out

rtmeek

Reaction score
Hope you are still active as I need some good info about some Ray Bans.
I am trying to find out if the vintage Ray Ban General frames with the tortoise trim had the same impressions on the temples as the pearl and black versions did; specifically the left temple 'The General' and the right temple '1937-1987'. The ones I am about to purchase do not have the engravings on the temples but do have all others. I am being told that the tortoise version 'may not' have had the impressions on the temples. Would you know one way or the other?

Thanks
Ted

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads