• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

astromaddie

Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of a gamble. You’ll have to trust your gut!
I know, it is a bit of a gamble! I’m leaning towards the odds being in my favour, there was a shot showing the B&L etching on the lens so it isn’t an unofficial lens-swap, and I can’t find anything about B&L Ray-Bans with orange lenses beyond the Ambermatics. Is it possible for the photochromic properties to wear off or “stop working” over time? I’m not exactly sure how the UV reactivity works.

astromaddie

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, and this isn’t specifically about vintage Ray-Bans, but it looks like RB has sold a few limited-time Ambermatic aviators in the last few years. Are those the same quality and performance as the vintage lenses, or are they different at all?

Reaction score
No clue about the modern ones. What you have in your favour with the. Intake Les is the case looks authentic and is not the style that is faked. Looks to the the right vintage too.

astromaddie

Reaction score
Just an update, rolled the dice and bought those Shooters. It’s a pretty overcast day… or week … or month, lol, but I did cover one lens and took it outside, and when comparing, the uncovered lens did darken, so these seem to be ambermatics after all!

I’ll have to see what their range of abilities are as the weather clears up, but for being 40+ years old, these are in beautiful shape :D

astromaddie

Reaction score
Just an update, rolled the dice and bought those Shooters.
I can not get these to sit on my face without slipping down my nose! After trying (and failing) to adjust them myself, I took them to the Ray-Ban shop nearby to see if they might have better luck getting a good fit on my nose bridge. They were able to help a bit, but they still slide down and pinch my nose shut. Right now I've got some nonslip silicone pads stuck on the bridge pads to keep them in place, but does anyone have any suggestion for fitting 62mm Aviators/Shooters properly on the nose? Any pictures of "properly adjusted" bridge pads to get me in the right direction?

Hassan1979

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have bought Ray Ban glasses at a good price and I want to know if they are original or fake. The glasses are from the 60's and there is no "BL”on the lenses. The seller mentioned that in the 60s there was no engraving on the lenses. thank you

Attachments

• 37D2CFBC-8B04-42B4-9C0A-53B58BD90DA6.png
    37D2CFBC-8B04-42B4-9C0A-53B58BD90DA6.png
    391 KB · Views: 27
  • 71D8F773-3E32-4734-80AA-7BA271D67A2E.png
    71D8F773-3E32-4734-80AA-7BA271D67A2E.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 42ED1A8C-1E89-405C-A766-A0B73E90E1A4.png
    42ED1A8C-1E89-405C-A766-A0B73E90E1A4.png
    259.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 366B3B69-5B8E-4607-B549-7B7369A045DD.png
    366B3B69-5B8E-4607-B549-7B7369A045DD.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 46

Charlesmax88

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have bought Ray Ban glasses at a good price and I want to know if they are original or fake. The glasses are from the 60's and there is no "BL”on the lenses. The seller mentioned that in the 60s there was no engraving on the lenses. thank you
Hi Hassan1979,
Actually, I’m not totally sure about the authenticity but I can’t confirm you they are fake. I’ve seen two unusual things :
- The engraved letters aren’t perfectly regular : the U of USA is very too close to the 62()14. But it isn’t a unarguable proof of non-authenticity !
- On this model, I’ve never seen black or dark plastic arms : usually they are colourless (transparent or yellowed by age). Maybe the seller changed it ?
To be sure about authenticity of the lenses, if they were made in the 60’s, you can’t certify them by the etched BL...
So I advise you to :
- Let them under ultraviolet rays (lamp or the sun)
- Make sure the lenses are minerals and not made in polycarbonate
- Compare the size and the form of these lenses with the lenses on an original Aviator sunglasses

Maybe another “expert” here can confirm if you glasses are fake or authentic better than me ??

Metadata

Reaction score
I'm looking for B&L Aviators with 58mm kalichrome lenses, but the vast majority I find have the bullet hole and brow bar. Ideally I'd like a pair without either, such as these, but that's literally the only pair I can find online. Are these legit but rare, or do y'all think that's an aftermarket lens swap on a standard Aviator frame?

Also: this NYT article from '97 making fun of fashion-focused yuppies for wearing kalichrome Ray Bans in bright daylight. At the very end, it mentions they "now also come in blue and pink", but I can't find any other evidence of kalichrome Ray Bans other than yellow. Anyone know if blue/pink kalichromes were ever made? I'm thinking the reporter was mixing kalichromes with new, unrelated (non-kalichrome) lenses.

Jomoral00

Reaction score
I'm looking for B&L Aviators with 58mm kalichrome lenses, but the vast majority I find have the bullet hole and brow bar. Ideally I'd like a pair without either, such as these, but that's literally the only pair I can find online. Are these legit but rare, or do y'all think that's an aftermarket lens swap on a standard Aviator frame?

Also: this NYT article from '97 making fun of fashion-focused yuppies for wearing kalichrome Ray Bans in bright daylight. At the very end, it mentions they "now also come in blue and pink", but I can't find any other evidence of kalichrome Ray Bans other than yellow. Anyone know if blue/pink kalichromes were ever made? I'm thinking the reporter was mixing kalichromes with new, unrelated (non-kalichrome) lenses.

I don't think they have pink or blue kalichrome. Blue and pink only exist in the changeables, maybe he was referring to those.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-015540~2.png
    Screenshot_20210303-015540~2.png
    323 KB · Views: 32
  • images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 33
  • images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 40

astroboy

Reaction score
Hello!
I can not get these to sit on my face without slipping down my nose!
To prevent glasses from slipping down you have to adjust both: the temple-ends and the nosepads.
Normally I (I adjust them myself, too) firstly adjust the nosepads. The have to sit pefectly with their entire surface on my nose - that means in all angles! On my face "perfectly" means, that the frame is about 2mm away from my nose - otherwise the glasses can get wet from sweat and skin lipids.
After that I adjust the ends of the classical skull temples, so that they do not press on my head and ears and prevent the glasses from slipping on my nose. Ideally they work like a "hook" on my ears, but don't bend them too much down.

Right now I've got some nonslip silicone pads stuck on the bridge pads to keep them in place,
I don't think that they help. Your optician can change the whole nosepads with some made of silicone.

Any pictures of "properly adjusted" bridge pads to get me in the right direction?
Left picture = good.
Right picture = too high, nosepads and glasses do not fit.
(Picture taken with an old B&L Ray Ban Olympian I DeLuxe L0255).

Or: Maybe 62 lenses are too big and 58 are better for you.

Attachments

• nasenpad.jpg
    nasenpad.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 31
  • nasenpad-hoch.jpg
    nasenpad-hoch.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

astroboy

Reaction score
Are you really awaiting a good advisory with only one fuzzy and underexposed picture?
Some sharp and well exposed pictures would help!
Are the hinges springy? My guess is that it is a fake. I've never seen a Ray Ban with springy hinges from before 2000 (before Luxottica). And the bridge is a bit too flashy for a Ray Ban.

Racer322

Reaction score
I've been trying to find some info on these B&L Ray Ban's but haven't been able to figure out what exact model they are. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

51386285716_dc60d0e60f_c.jpg

51385529432_7ed40e0df1_c.jpg

51387026629_daac1f75f6_c.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads