• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just joined because I found this awesome thread when researching shoes on eBay!!! Relatedly, between a vintage Dack's camel leather (regular) goodyear welted Oxford and a Carmina Calfskin storm welted boot: Which do you think would be constructed to last longer?

Between Carmina modern and Vintage Dacks? We have a number of serious Dacks fans on here. I don’t have either, but I would say that quality vintage shoes were typically built to last much longer than quality (especially) Italian modern shoes.

I am however seriously considering purchasing a pair of Carmina Cordovan derby shoes or boots if things go well this week.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Nettleton's today. I am a bit worried about what appears to be some growth on the sole.

No man walks alone. Or so I have been told.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I’m sure @davidVC if anyone is capable of dealing with a little funky growth on a pair of vintage shoes it is you. Some of your restoration posts have been truly inspired! I’m a fan of Nettleton (that’s why I chose them as one of my shoes this week) and despite a little mold/fungus amongus those shoes definitely look worth saving!

On another note, I’m really glad I brought my old standby workhorse BB penny loafers with me on my trip. I’m in Seattle and it’s raining (of course) and these shoes have been through 30 plus years of use and abuse. They are the Timex of shoes! They take a lickin and keep on tickin’! It’s great to have a pair of shoes like these. They are like an old friend. Always reliable - even with the scars and bumps and bruises.

Isn’t that part of what this particular aspect of our hobby is all about?

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am inspired to create a Florsheim watch band from the brogue in the rear portion of the long wing. I am looking for some tan or brown, such as a 93602. The local thrift stores failed to provide a LWB candidate. My problem is in finding a worn out pair that I can sacrifice in good conscience. PM me if you have such a pair that have no value and I can pay to have them mailed to me. :D

I have a pair and am here in Los Angeles.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just joined because I found this awesome thread when researching shoes on eBay!!! Relatedly, between a vintage Dack's camel leather (regular) goodyear welted Oxford and a Carmina Calfskin storm welted boot: Which do you think would be constructed to last longer?

It seems that none of the regulars on this thread have a lot of direct experience with both brands -- me included. But I'll throw in my two cents.

I don't have any Dacks yet, but I can say that when taken care of, the shoes of yesteryear can last for decades. They were made much better than 99% of what people buy today.

Carmina is in that 1%. They are well made, if a little tough to break in. Leather quality seems good by today's standards and they should hold up well over time. I have a pair of Carmina boots in calf leather, and it's a decent pair of shoes, but I hardly wear them simply because I don't care for the shape so much.

I think you'd do well with either.

But if you want to build up a collections of good quality shoes so you don't have to wear the same pair of shoes day after day, while not breaking the bank, then it's pretty hard to beat vintage shoes.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE sharkskin Nassaus for church today. Great shoes for a wet day.
F9289518-605D-4E23-95C0-B3C40E4A278E.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Global debut today of the Golden Harvest at ORD.
48570021-FF58-4CFD-802B-41585392547D.jpeg

I just realized this morning that these shoes are celebrating their 50th birthday this month. I like to think they’ve been to this airport many times over the years.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Speaking to the issue of mold on shoes:

Many years ago when I was a callow youth I moved to Bermuda. I am originally from the North of England so you can imagine the change in just about everything I experienced. I took along a nice pair of leather Bally lace-up shoes which, of course, I never wore in Bermuda so I left them in the bottom of my closet. I was invited to attend a wedding after I'd been there several months so I dug out my suit and shoes. Imagine my surprise when they turned out to be bright green with a thick layer of mold on them due to the humid and hot atmosphere! Quite normal for Bermuda, don't leave anything organic exposed!!
Accordingly, I think you can probably cure the small mold issue on the longwings with a bit of dilute bleach.

I guess the correct spelling of mold is actually mould though.

kilowatts

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience removing green corrosion from shoelace eyelets? Can it just be brushed off?
Looking at this pair, but wondering if the eyelets would be a bigger problem than I'm ready to deal with.

i-img1024x1024-1571227837cueyst465615.jpg

i-img1024x1024-1571227837fud6tz465615.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads