• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ijustknow

Reaction score
Oh, I had never heard of it and was wondering if it was along the lines of Bick 4. Is it a good product?
I think it goes strong for years. You can check them on Youtube.
Leather Milk is light liquid compared with Bick 4's denser condition. the nourishing is quite deep and good. The oil is not heavy, so no sticky feeling, in the meantime, if you prefer some shine, it is not as good as Saphir Renovateur.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen,

You know what might be useful? To discuss when classic shoe brands saw their decline into offshored, glued garbage, or went defunct entirely.

From what I understand, Florsheim's last year miusa was 1999.

Hanover went out of business in 1995.

What year did Bostonian, Johnston and Murphy, Nettleton, Taylor Made, Mason, Cole Haan, and others decline?

I remember trying on the crown aristocraft J and M in 2019 and they were miusa briefly again at that time. They were marketed as the type of shoes JFK wore. Am I right in assuming that's no longer the case and J and M has no nice quality? I popped into an airport store and was disgusted by glued fake leather soles with corrected grain made in India uppers for 80 dollars.

Of course, we all know that AE and Alden, even if the quality may have declined some, are still finely made miusa, gyw shoes. Plus, we still have a number of finely made English shoes. But with an aim towards the vintage shoe man, what should be the history here for what years/styles we look out for?

happypebble

Reaction score
Hey gentlemen,

You know what might be useful? To discuss when classic shoe brands saw their decline into offshored, glued garbage, or went defunct entirely.

What year did Bostonian, Johnston and Murphy, Nettleton, Taylor Made, Mason, Cole Haan, and others decline?

I remember trying on the crown aristocraft J and M in 2019 and they were miusa briefly again at that time. They were marketed as the type of shoes JFK wore. Am I right in assuming that's no longer the case and J and M has no nice quality? I popped into an airport store and was disgusted by glued fake leather soles with corrected grain made in India uppers for 80 dollars.

Of course, we all know that AE and Alden, even if the quality may have declined some, are still finely made miusa, gyw shoes. Plus, we still have a number of finely made English shoes. But with an aim towards the vintage shoe man, what should be the history here for what years/styles we look out for?
I believe 2003 was the end for made in USA at Mason. Offshored to China. Shame, as my USA Masons are so!id, quality shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen,

@davidVC has a list of vintage USA makers and many of them include their years of operation. Link.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen,

JM Conley (Wingtip Oxford) and Georgetown II (Cap Toe Oxford) were just being phased out as of 2019. Last 2 models Made in USA. Nothing even shows up on the website now.

I ended up buying the last pair of each in 10eee “in the company stock” (as the associate told me when checking their computer for inventory).

They are, oddly enough, two of my favorite pairs. Terribly said when JM dumped MIUSA. I still cruise eBay and VCLEAT daily looking for some older models in my size….

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:
For a look at the decline of quality shoes, take a good look at the Allen Edmonds website followed by Church's. Two good brands taking the low road. A good reason to stick with vintage.
On another subject: Have you ever tried to explain the allure of used/vintage shoes to anyone else? Hard work, eh? They look at you as if your hygiene is slightly suspect.
kilowatts

kilowatts

Reaction score
After re-reading my previous post, I think it was overly judgemental. I know nothing about shoe manufacturing so I’m not really qualified to comment. Selling leather sneakers with a logo, for the same price as GW quality shoes does seem to be the way to ruin, though.
I guess that’s what the owners of buggy whip factories thought, so adapt, adopt, improve and survive, eh?
Kilowatts

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JM Conley (Wingtip Oxford) and Georgetown II (Cap Toe Oxford) were just being phased out as of 2019. Last 2 models Made in USA. Nothing even show up on the website now.

I ended up buying the last pair of each in 10eee “in the company stock” (as the associate told me when checking their computer for inventory).

They are, oddly enough, two of my favorite pairs. Terribly said when JM dumped MIUSA. I still cruise eBay and VCLEAT daily looking for some older models in my size….

What a pity. I had the chance to buy and ought to have.

They had no other models miusa from 2000-then?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:
For a look at the decline of quality shoes, take a good look at the Allen Edmonds website followed by Church's. Two good brands taking the low road. A good reason to stick with vintage.
On another subject: Have you ever tried to explain the allure of used/vintage shoes to anyone else? Hard work, eh? They look at you as if your hygiene is slightly suspect.
kilowatts

The quality of aes are still quite good, their taste in non-dress shoes and some boots is questionable.

Church's was bought out by Prada and they've become trashy fashion ****.

MathMan314

Reaction score
What a pity. I had the chance to buy and ought to have.

They had no other models miusa from 2000-then?
The Melton is another 2000's USA made model. It's a nice looking cap-toe oxford. Goodyear welted, but corrected grain leather and more of a mid-range shoe than a high-end one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads