• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally finished up these shark Florsheim Imperial gunboats. "Finished" is a relative term, as I have dicked around with them for so long I can't even remember what I did to them. I think I should probably strip with acetone, but the welts are crumbling and look like **** and the sole stitching looks like it was done by a drunken frat boy who went through a "I'm gonna save the world by fixing everything" phase but eventually lost interest when Dave Matthews stopped touring. So, in other words, I'll probably just be polishing a turd.

Here are the turds in question.

20210922_100408.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally finished up these shark Florsheim Imperial gunboats. "Finished" is a relative term, as I have dicked around with them for so long I can't even remember what I did to them. I think I should probably strip with acetone, but the welts are crumbling and look like **** and the sole stitching looks like it was done by a drunken frat boy who went through a "I'm gonna save the world by fixing everything" phase but eventually lost interest when Dave Matthews stopped touring. So, in other words, I'll probably just be polishing a turd.

View attachment 1673566
That's an amazingly colorful description. They look good from here. What a unique pair.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1673566

Great pair. The texture of shark will make any issues far less noticeable. Just wear them now as they are terrific.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
96624s modified for the rain. Vibram explosion sole protectors and heel lifts. Toe taps to give them the extra life.

Long day ahead in court, so might as well look good.

20210923_073016.jpg
20210923_073019.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cars...

We picked up our new (used) car yesterday. It meant taking a 1 hour train and then bus ride out of Tokyo to pick it up. Then right after that I had to drive my wife to IKEA for some kitchen stuff (which meant lots of waiting around on my feet). Long story short -- I knew it was going to be a long day, so I figured I'd wear shoes that could see me through.

20210923-01.jpg

Bostonian Crown Windsor shell LWBs got the call.

20210923-02.jpg

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been reading through old posts here for a few days now, and this thread is pretty much the only reason I decided to join SF. My first pair of vintage shoes were some funky buffalo calf Dexters and my second pair (miUSA Mason Executive Imperial LWBs) is on their way. Really looking forward to spending time here! (Hope everything posts correctly. I'm new to this.)
20210818_103530.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-024440_eBay.jpg

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been reading through old posts here for a few days now, and this thread is pretty much the only reason I decided to join SF. My first pair of vintage shoes were some funky buffalo calf Dexters and my second pair (miUSA Mason Executive Imperial LWBs) is on their way. Really looking forward to spending time here! (Hope everything posts correctly. I'm new to this.) View attachment 1674065 View attachment 1674066
hi V:
Good start and welcome. I know the other guys will help any way they can.
kilowatts

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
hi V:
Good start and welcome. I know the other guys will help any way they can.
kilowatts
Thanks! You all struck me as much friendlier and more accepting than other groups I've seen on SF. I've been reading VCleat a lot and slowly realizing that vintage shoes, just like watches and fountain pens, are my favorites. The Dexters were a $6 thrift store purchase and I bought the Masons on eBay on a whim for $30. Seems the Executive Imperials are a bit of an underdog favorite here!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been reading through old posts here for a few days now, and this thread is pretty much the only reason I decided to join SF. My first pair of vintage shoes were some funky buffalo calf Dexters and my second pair (miUSA Mason Executive Imperial LWBs) is on their way. Really looking forward to spending time here! (Hope everything posts correctly. I'm new to this.) View attachment 1674065 View attachment 1674066
Welcome. this is a great group of folks. The friendly banter, pix of great vintage shoes, and the shared knowledge are a joyful little piece of my day.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! You all struck me as much friendlier and more accepting than other groups I've seen on SF. I've been reading VCleat a lot and slowly realizing that vintage shoes, just like watches and fountain pens, are my favorites. The Dexters were a $6 thrift store purchase and I bought the Masons on eBay on a whim for $30. Seems the Executive Imperials are a bit of an underdog favorite here!

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this thread gets me through most days. The camaraderie, leadership, and freedom to be a shoe geek, is second to none.

Personally, I love Dexter and B Mason Executive Imperial shoes. They were my gateway used and vintage purchases to this hobby.

If you want to share your size, you might find a shoe twin to swap and buy from.

I also ran a shoe restoration competition that I hope to revive soon.

Welcome, brother. You're in good company and the regulars are a really great bunch of gents.

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this thread gets me through most days. The camaraderie, leadership, and freedom to be a shoe geek, is second to none.

Personally, I love Dexter and B Mason Executive Imperial shoes. They were my gateway used and vintage purchases to this hobby.

If you want to share your size, you might find a shoe twin to swap and buy from.

I also ran a shoe restoration competition that I hope to revive soon.

Welcome, brother. You're in good company and the regulars are a really great bunch of gents.
I was hoping you'd reply! Your love for the B Masons is part of why I was pleased to have picked them up. I'm actually to the point in my read-through where the restoration competition was happening, and it seems right up my alley. I'm 8.5D, I'll add that to my profile. Really seems like a tight group here. Glad I joined.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads