• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A high school friend is getting married next month. I, along with three others from our group of friends, am standing up for him. We're all wearing navy blue suits, and the groom has requested brown shoes. He sent a picture of his selected pair for reference.

IMG9503671.jpg

Of course I have a few at my disposal. I also sent some pictures back of possible pairs, to wit:

Screenshot_20210429-090445_Chrome.jpg

Admittedly not brown enough. So there's these:

Screenshot_20210429-090820_Chrome.jpg

Neither got a warm reception. I'll blame the bride-to-be. Women, right fellas? Well, hopefully these Alden captoes pass muster.

20210519_092106.jpg

They need a bit more work, like another application of polish and sole edge dressing. But I'm going to get my suit fitted and need to wear them, so they'll have to do for now.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazing shoes. If it were a zip code it would be Kingburg, CA. I’ve never heard of it and I’ve lived in CA for nearly 36 years.

Just one of the small towns on 99 between Fresno and Bakersfield. No real reason to stop unless you need gas or have a prostate problem.

happypebble

Reaction score
Amazing shoes. If it were a zip code it would be Kingburg, CA. I’ve never heard of it and I’ve lived in CA for nearly 36 years.
This pair is marked DI on the inside, and the vcleat is on the edge of the heel, so...1968, I think. Someone correct me if that's wrong. Size is 12D, and they feel like a generous 12D on my feet, like i could mistake them for something thirteenish if i didn't know better. Golden Harvest is one of my "grail shoes," the other two being Aldens in color 8 shell, and Allen Edmonds Jingle Bell Mok/Holly...so I'm one for three.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Please tell me I’m not the oldest in the group. That would be depressing.
kilowatts
You are not. I must confess I’ve been lying about my age. I was indeed born in mid 40s. Asians just look younger than their age (which I still don’t know what the deal is with @suitforcourt , maybe he’s serious all the time). To sum up, this pair of 50s Nunn Bush black cap toes are probably 10 years younger than I am. Thanks to various group members for helping me pick them up a couple months ago. It arrived quite dry, but vintage leather sure is resilient. (I should have polish them before taking pics, oh well…)
267A6DED-FA80-4C1C-986D-8BDB52D93D09.jpeg
82D27895-2118-4604-BA8C-EC8894F75A8B.jpeg
0086FD2F-B099-42F5-B687-28DDD996B701.jpeg
667491A8-38EE-4951-888B-405F70B8CC50.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turpentine was used until petroleum based stuff became more common in the 20s. Now only the good stuff uses turpentine, like saphir.

Hello @JFWR I use natural (or organic) turpentine as a solvent for my shoe polish, works very well. It comes from some pine trees resin, is also used in natural medicine but it is toxic .

But there is also mineral turpentine also called White Spirit that is hazardous. Quoting Wikipedia : "Mineral spirits are an inexpensive petroleum-based replacement for the vegetable-based turpentine". This is an strong solvent.

An artist (painter) told me that I should avoid the mineral turpentine since it damages the bristles.

Cheers

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s Wednesday. Thus this AE Shell McNeil. Looking at it, It’s quite dull. Time for a good polishing, cleaning, the works.;)
View attachment 1612495

Welcome to the style forum and to this thread. Be sure to post pictures after you give them “the works.”

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell me I’m not the oldest in the group. That would be depressing.
kilowatts

depending on when you were born in the late 40’s, you are my Dad’s age.

It is very disappointing, he wore all these shoes we now collect. But, the only thing he wears now is boat shoes and old man orthopedic sneakers — including (gasp) a black pair that he wears to church.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Wingtip Wednesday how about a little Shark?

Florsheim Shortwing Bal in black Shark.

2633BE02-2181-4D03-ADB9-96D7720C81F3.jpeg
7C6ABF4B-37AB-4260-A294-9F3A24E195DB.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello @JFWR I use natural (or organic) turpentine as a solvent for my shoe polish, works very well. It comes from some pine trees resin, is also used in natural medicine but it is toxic .

But there is also mineral turpentine also called White Spirit that is hazardous. Quoting Wikipedia : "Mineral spirits are an inexpensive petroleum-based replacement for the vegetable-based turpentine". This is an strong solvent.

An artist (painter) told me that I should avoid the mineral turpentine since it damages the bristles.

Cheers

Yeah. Definitely avoid white spirit. Pine turpentine is whatcha need.

Mineral spirit is good for cleaning metal.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya know what, I’m gonna try that stuff. Can’t make it any worse; if I can’t get this oil off, I’m afraid this 111 year old movement is junk (can’t even use the parts as everything is gunked with this stuff).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Seriously. That looks like something everyone should have in their garage.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t feel too bad, I’m 46 and the AARP sent me some info kit thing last year. I thought about being insulted... but then I was like “hellz yeah, send me that AARP card so I can get those discounts”.

I signed up for AARP as soon as they sent me an application. A few weeks later, I used that AARP card to save $1,000 on a summer vacation at the Westin Playa Conchal in Costa Rica. AARP rate blew away the AAA rate. I have no pride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads