• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of grail status Florsheim, if you are a 9.5E, here’s your chance!

Not mine. These are from one of our members and one of the best eBay sellers. I really wish I could find 1940’s Florsheim in my size!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just learned that Alden sells replacement boxes and will print the style and size on the box. That’s pretty cool.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only we could get Alden to sell Carmina or Grant Stone boxes.... ? ? ?

Ha! I wish we could get Florsheim to sell vintage style boxes!

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday!

Vintage Alden 979 in one of my favorite shades!

8784AB5A-8E73-45F7-897D-ECD4418857DF.jpeg
C530DF58-8628-4579-A358-CEBC5E382662.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over at the Shoe Care thread, they suggested I speak to you.

I bought a pair of Carminas (non-vintage) for my mom and I antiqued them with burgundy cream polish from Colonil. They look great, but the result has been a continual bleeding of reddish pigment even after saddle soaping and neutral-polish removal of the pigment. I even used wax polish (neutral) to sort of 'seal' it, to no affect, even if it seems to work for a time, and then ceases to work.

I have antiqued other shoes and this hasn't happened. What should I do?

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Ha! I wish we could get Florsheim to sell vintage style boxes!

It's funny you mention this... last weekend I created shoe box labels for all of my shoes (actually, I missed several pairs but who's counting). Prior to this time, I'd not been using boxes and it was getting to be very unmanageable. This is more space efficient and a better solution. However, I have a lot of boxes that are either unmarked or marked with a model number that I wasn't able to remember. So I decided to make big stick on labels... Much better solution since the look is consistent across brands. You might consider something like this with a generic shoe box for vintage pairs.

Here's a screenshot of Florsheim label that I made (sorry it's rotated, you get the idea). And below is how part of my shelving looks. Amazing? eh, no. But it's a functional solution and looks better than loose shoes everywhere.

1617835868898.png

IMG_1456 (002).jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny you mention this... last weekend I created shoe box labels for all of my shoes (actually, I missed several pairs but who's counting). Prior to this time, I'd not been using boxes and it was getting to be very unmanageable. This is more space efficient and a better solution. However, I have a lot of boxes that are either unmarked or marked with a model number that I wasn't able to remember. So I decided to make big stick on labels... Much better solution since the look is consistent across brands. You might consider something like this with a generic shoe box for vintage pairs.

Here's a screenshot of Florsheim label that I made (sorry it's rotated, you get the idea). And below is how part of my shelving looks. Amazing? eh, no. But it's a functional solution and looks better than loose shoes everywhere.

View attachment 1589204
View attachment 1589205

Thats a great idea! Also, Carmina and C&J? That’s a nice collection!

I was sort of thinking of custom shoe
Boxes. I even looked at some options where they put any logo on them and even emboss a logo in gold foil. Unfortunately, the minimum order was $100,000!

The replacement boxes I ordered from Alden with Style and size were $12 each.

happypebble

Reaction score
Well, I'm proud of myself: today, instead of falling into the temptation to buy another pair of vintage shoes (and trust me, there was a temptation), I did the smart thing instead and took a couple pairs I already had to the cobbler for a cleanup and new heels. I already know they will look super when I get them back as this is a solid quality cobbler who's done good work for me previously. (Mike's Shoe Repair, up the hill in Chinatown, Las Vegas) Keeping cobblers in business and shoes out of the landfill since MMXIX.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Leeds in calf. I really don’t like them. But, I have never had Leeds that are Shell. Are they a lot different. I felt like the calf Leeds we’re crappy quality. But, I’m guessing the Shell would be much better.

anyone have both and can comment?

kilowatts

Reaction score
I have a pair of Leeds in calf. I really don’t like them. But, I have never had Leeds that are Shell. Are they a lot different. I felt like the calf Leeds we’re crappy quality. But, I’m guessing the Shell would be much better.

anyone have both and can comment?
Hi Noble:
I have had both, sold the calf and kept the shell. I found them both comfortable but the calf became quite creased very quickly. I don’t know whether the quality was poor or what, but they didn’t work for me. I am completely satisfied with the shell which are brown in colour but really more like cognac. I like the 511 last too. I don’t know if this helps much.
kilowatts

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modded 93602s today.
49124EC6-1611-4004-AF9A-B4E0A47B1A46.jpeg
DD84D2AC-FA1D-4FD8-9A47-E9E1CC768E5E.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm proud of myself: today, instead of falling into the temptation to buy another pair of vintage shoes (and trust me, there was a temptation), I did the smart thing instead and took a couple pairs I already had to the cobbler for a cleanup and new heels. I already know they will look super when I get them back as this is a solid quality cobbler. (Mike's Shoe Repair, up the hill in Chinatown, Las Vegas) Keeping cobblers in business and shoes out of the landfill since MMXIX.

Great choice man.

I love going to Minas Shoe Repair in NYC for the same reason.

NickN

Reaction score
Over at the Shoe Care thread, they suggested I speak to you.

I bought a pair of Carminas (non-vintage) for my mom and I antiqued them with burgundy cream polish from Colonil. They look great, but the result has been a continual bleeding of reddish pigment even after saddle soaping and neutral-polish removal of the pigment. I even used wax polish (neutral) to sort of 'seal' it, to no affect, even if it seems to work for a time, and then ceases to work.

I have antiqued other shoes and this hasn't happened. What should I do?

Saphir Reno Mat is good for removing cream and polish without removing the underlying dye from the leather, in my limited experience.
But it's interesting you mention this issue, as out of all my varying ages of shoes and boots, the Carmina pair I have are the most tricky when using shoe cream, it seems to sit on the surface rather than get absorbed. It could be that they use some kind of factory coating, I haven't tried Reno Mat to see if I can get through it, I just wiped off the cream and they look great so am leaving well alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads