• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Gentleman,
@mormonopoly s post is similar to my current project. Florsheim, presumably 1940s:
IMG_20201019_235941627.jpg
IMG_20201020_000307466.jpg
IMG_20201019_005736820.jpg
IMG_20201020_000034983.jpg

If any of you have experience dealing with the old "russet" brown leather that was common up to the 50s, let me know. Its the same tannage as WWII army boots. Seems to be chrome tanned with a glaze of sorts. Anyway, the glaze flakes off, it's prone to dry rot, just obnoxious stuff to deal with. I'm curious to know how others deal with the flaking probably. Sanding and recoloring isn't working as I'd like. The previous owner did not use a shoe horn ?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1480465
Just-arrived AE walnut Strands and the Alden shell 2146s I posted about the other day. This is my first time wearing Strands and I think I’m going to like them.
Nice grabs. Believe the hype on the Strand. Sometime there’s good reason to follow the herd.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentleman,
@mormonopoly s post is similar to my current project. Florsheim, presumably 1940s:
View attachment 1480608 View attachment 1480609 View attachment 1480610 View attachment 1480611
If any of you have experience dealing with the old "russet" brown leather that was common up to the 50s, let me know. Its the same tannage as WWII army boots. Seems to be chrome tanned with a glaze of sorts. Anyway, the glaze flakes off, it's prone to dry rot, just obnoxious stuff to deal with. I'm curious to know how others deal with the flaking probably. Sanding and recoloring isn't working as I'd like. The previous owner did not use a shoe horn ?

400 grit?

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,
View attachment 1480608 View attachment 1480609 View attachment 1480610 View attachment 1480611
That’s got to be the single best pair of loafers I’ve ever seen.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,
Great shoes. Can’t be 40s however. Most likely mid-late 50s. Alden is credited with developing the original tassel slip on for actor Paul Lukas circa 1950.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of 50s shoes have a last shape with a single spade/"extended sole" (the original name) and this continued through the 60s. It can be confused for the 40s.

Here is a pair of Bostonians(?) I wore today which I think are late 40s but could be 50s as well going on the above.

1603193071048.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation.

Crockett Jones Bradford with Dainite soles.

20201020_081434.jpg
20201020_081438.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually thought of that as Peace Arch Park is accessible from both sides, but smugglers and border guards know that too and often in the news we see stories of keystone Kop style apprehensions. Good thought though.
Kilowatts

what’s the penalty for smuggling a kilo of used leather goods?

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally come to terms with the fact that my pair of Alden shell LWB (976) is beyond salvation. The shell is splitting at several stress points on the shoes. They're on the Barrie last, so don't fit particularly well, but would think I could throw some thick socks on and wear them until they disintegrate. After a few wears, they might actually look like a brand new pair of Prada/Church's "distressed" LWBs.

???

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally come to terms with the fact that my pair of Alden shell LWB (976) is beyond salvation. The shell is splitting at several stress points on the shoes. They're on the Barrie last, so don't fit particularly well, but would think I could throw some thick socks on and wear them until they disintegrate. After a few wears, they might actually look like a brand new pair of Prada/Church's "distressed" LWBs.

???
They must truly be in bad shape if you think they'll look that bad... (But think of the money you'll save by not buying the Church's!) :-D

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually thought of that as Peace Arch Park is accessible from both sides, but smugglers and border guards know that too and often in the news we see stories of keystone Kop style apprehensions. Good thought though.
Kilowatts
The old switcheroo. Two identical shopping bags of shoe boxes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what’s the penalty for smuggling a kilo of used leather goods?

A kilo of heroin is 10 years.

I assume leather is in that range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads