• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$30 total today. Florsheim Imperial 92604 and a AE Park Avenue
61860103263__F8318E7D-EE80-4FFC-B7D5-6DAAEBB00997.JPG

61859639634__8E6D5857-D705-431B-9FBA-1D82CE535AD5.JPG

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been pretty swamped with work and have fallen behind here, but we're finally out of our unusually long rainy season so I figured it was time to break out the shell again.

Bostonian Crown Windsor LWBs the other day.

View attachment 1437672

Stay well!
I thought shell was ok in the rain?

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
I was conditioning a pair of shell Florsheim LWBs today and noticed they are cracking around the eyelets. This is the second pair where I've noticed this over as many weeks. I asked myself, is this just the way vintage shell is and I just never paid enough attention?

I carefully inspected the six pairs I own, and sure enough, every pair that are not NOS (4/4) showed small cracks either around they eyelets or in the brogueing. I then turned to ebay for more evidence. of the 16 pairs of LWBs that came up searching for "vintage Florsheim shell cordovan", two lacked sufficient pictures to make a determination, 10 showed cracking, and four did not. Of the four that did not, two were NOS, and two were late 90's or early 2000s models.

So, in the absence of a larger sample, the answer to my question seems to be "yes". If they are worn, and more than 25 years old, there is probably some form of cracking, but it tends to go unnoticed. As long as one does not screw around trying to examine the cracks through flexing them, those around the eyelets and in the brougeing must be fairly stable.

Then again, n = 20 isn't good, and those that don't show cracking may simply sell right away.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was conditioning a pair of shell Florsheim LWBs today and noticed they are cracking around the eyelets. This is the second pair where I've noticed this over as many weeks. I asked myself, is this just the way vintage shell is and I just never paid enough attention?

I carefully inspected the six pairs I own, and sure enough, every pair that are not NOS (4/4) showed small cracks either around they eyelets or in the brogueing. I then turned to ebay for more evidence. of the 16 pairs of LWBs that came up searching for "vintage Florsheim shell cordovan", two lacked sufficient pictures to make a determination, 10 showed cracking, and four did not. Of the four that did not, two were NOS, and two were late 90's or early 2000s models.

So, in the absence of a larger sample, the answer to my question seems to be "yes". If they are worn, and more than 25 years old, there is probably some form of cracking, but it tends to go unnoticed. As long as one does not screw around trying to examine the cracks through flexing them, those around the eyelets and in the brougeing must be fairly stable.

Then again, n = 20 isn't good, and those that don't show cracking may simply sell right away.

For the eyelets, grommets help prevent or slow down the tearing. Sadly, vintage shell is susceptible to these issues.

We enthusiasts keep going back to them, like we go back to an ex-girlfriend. We know the likely results and chance of heart break. Yet we seek it out all the time.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the eyelets, grommets help prevent or slow down the testing. Sadly, vintage shell is susceptible to these issues.

We enthusiasts keep going back to them, like we go back to an ex-girlfriend. We know the likely results and chance of heart break. Yet we seek it out all the time.
You'd think all these people that throw shell in the back of their closets for years, only to have their children sell them off after death, would have the common courtesy to regularly condition them so that bargain hunters don't have to suffer cracked shell! The gall of some people!

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not mine but $23 seems like a steal for vintage shark shortwing.

happypebble

Reaction score
So, with all this business about shell shoes cracking, grommets etc: if I were to buy a brand new shell pair, would it be smart to take the new shoes straight to the cobbler for a set of grommets?

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
For the eyelets, grommets help prevent or slow down the tearing. Sadly, vintage shell is susceptible to these issues.

A perfect simile, well done sir!

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
You'd think all these people that throw shell in the back of their closets for years, only to have their children sell them off after death, would have the common courtesy to regularly condition them so that bargain hunters don't have to suffer cracked shell! The gall of some people!
Ha! I gave my father a pair of AEs for his birthday one year. Like these folks, he put them in the back of his closet and never wore them. When I asked him why he said "they're too nice to wear!", so I told him we'd bury him in them either way, so he wears them now. ?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, with all this business about shell shoes cracking, grommets etc: if I were to buy a brand new shell pair, would it be smart to take the new shoes straight to the cobbler for a set of grommets?

I've never bought new shell. All are used and vintage. One pair was NOS, but same issues.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Joe here; my oldest pair of shoes is a pair of Alden 994s (Traditional Saddles in Color 8 Shell) that are ~16 years old at this point, and there's not a hint of cracking anywhere (and they have not been babied at all).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads