• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of the Thrift stores in Canada are re-opening. Today I found this pair of 93605's, which are quite a rare find in Canada. They don't look half bad after a little one hour clean-up with Lexol, Bicks 4, Collonil and edge dressing. It was nice to get out looking for some shoes!

Before

IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4515.jpg

After

IMG_4519.jpg
IMG_4520.jpg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hamercha

Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you compare this Dack's quality to vintage Florsheim ?

Vintage Florsheim still better. I am saying that with my head, and not my heart.

As a Canadian, I am very fond of the domestic vintage brands. Majority were decimated.

The one advantage of Dacks is the variety of skins. Hippo, rhino, seal, giraffe, are just some of their offerings.

The overal details, stitch count, and craftsmanship, has to go Florsheim. When I compare my Canadian shoes to the classic Florsheims in my collection (93605, 93606, 93602, and 92604), it is not even close.

Dacks was still well made and durable. I would say more like Johnston Murphy of the day.

hamercha

Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim still better. I am saying that with my head, and not my heart.

As a Canadian, I am very fond of the domestic vintage brands. Majority were decimated.

The one advantage of Dacks is the variety of skins. Hippo, rhino, seal, giraffe, are just some of their offerings.

The overal details, stitch count, and craftsmanship, has to go Florsheim. When I compare my Canadian shoes to the classic Florsheims in my collection (93605, 93606, 93602, and 92604), it is not even close.

Dacks was still well made and durable. I would say more like Johnston Murphy of the day.
Thanks. How is this particular pair? Is it comfortable? The last of this looks very nice for the wider feet.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like you really cleaned out the vamps. What process and poisons did you use? Give us a rundown. Talk dirty to us.
Thanks. I do think they're much improved.

I kind of fumbled my way to it: First I went at them with acetone and a towel to remove the dye that I applied, followed by acetone and a toothbrush to get the creases.

This wasn't the best way to go however, as I found what you really want to do is go at a very small part at a time quite vigorously with the toothbrush dipped in acetone, followed by a quick wipe of the "sludge" left behind with a rag. Keep working in very small sections as you go around the shoe, cleaning up as much as you can with the rag. You can't really get it all however - there is residue left behind no matter what you do. It's messy and time consuming, not gonna lie.

I let them rest a bit and then tried to clean them up with mineral spirits, but I found that it wouldn't touch the acetone/dye/gunk residue, so I did a last pass with acetone once more, which got them pretty clean.

So I think it would be best to do the hard toothbrush scrub first, followed by a final acetone wipe to get the last of the residue. You'd save a round of acetone this way - and you use a hell of a lot of acetone - which can't be good for the leather in the long term. (Or you, I guess)

I did give them the water droplet test, and I do think I'm down to bare leather now. I did 2 rounds of Bick 4, just out of pity for the leather.

For next steps, I have some of the lower end Saphir light brown cream, but I was thinking of getting a pig bristle brush from the Hanger Project during the current sale and adding in a Saphir Medaille d'or light brown (or cognac?) jar while I'm at it. I don't have any colored Collonil creme, just the neutral stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Gents,
I hinted at an interesting "barn find" pair of Florsheims when I posted the 93602s that I cleaned up over the weekend. In short, I was not entirely sure what I was getting with this pair. Most unfortunately, they are not my size and for almost the first time ever I am actually posting a pair of shoes that I will be selling shortly. For now, please enjoy the shoe Appreciation.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks. I do think they're much improved.

I kind of fumbled my way to it: First I went at them with acetone and a towel to remove the dye that I applied, followed by acetone and a toothbrush to get the creases.

This wasn't the best way to go however, as I found what you really want to do is go at a very small part at a time quite vigorously with the toothbrush dipped in acetone, followed by a quick wipe of the "sludge" left behind with a rag. Keep working in very small sections as you go around the shoe, cleaning up as much as you can with the rag. You can't really get it all however - there is residue left behind no matter what you do. It's messy and time consuming, not gonna lie.

I let them rest a bit and then tried to clean them up with mineral spirits, but I found that it wouldn't touch the acetone/dye/gunk residue, so I did a last pass with acetone once more, which got them pretty clean.

So I think it would be best to do the hard toothbrush scrub first, followed by a final acetone wipe to get the last of the residue. You'd save a round of acetone this way - and you use a hell of a lot of acetone - which can't be good for the leather in the long term. (Or you, I guess)

I did give them the water droplet test, and I do think I'm down to bare leather now. I did 2 rounds of Bick 4, just out of pity for the leather.

For next steps, I have some of the lower end Saphir light brown cream, but I was thinking of getting a pig bristle brush from the Hanger Project during the current sale and adding in a Saphir Medaille d'or light brown (or cognac?) jar while I'm at it. I don't have any colored Collonil creme, just the neutral stuff.

Thoughts?

Your process is pretty much the same that I used in the past. Different shoes/leather seem to require some on the fly adaptation of what is require to strip them (at least based upon the 3 pairs I have done, which is not much). You are not intending to dye them, I take it? I don't believe I have saphir's light brown on hand but I do have cognac. It's pretty light and might be a good option to use. I would start with the lightest polish you have try a little spot and see how it looks. You will likely want to use some blend of colors to get more depth.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful photo. Was that just using your phone?

Yes, just an iphone 10 on portrait mode. That is why i place then on the rail, with foliage nearly 20 feet behind. Portrait mode can then blur the background to get that look. It will not work if the background it too close to the shoes.
Gents,
I hinted at an interesting "barn find" pair of Florsheims when I posted the 93602s that I cleaned up over the weekend. In short, I was not entirely sure what I was getting with this pair. Most unfortunately, they are not my size and for almost the first time ever I am actually posting a pair of shoes that I will be selling shortly. For now, please enjoy the shoe Appreciation.

Great find and the new owner will be lucky. Please feel free to post before and after shots of any vintage shoes, not just the ones you intend to keep.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How is this particular pair? Is it comfortable? The last of this looks very nice for the wider feet.

This is a snug fit, which some people like. I have another pair with a different last, also 8.5G. Much wider and I prefer that fit as I enjoy the wiggle room for my toes.

Otherwise, shoes are comfortable. I believe Dacks used a high quality leather sole. Most used pairs I see still have lots of life in the soles. Even though heels are shot.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I love giraffes. Don't think I could do it... Have to be honest, I have never seen or heard of giraffe being used for shoes or any other garment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads