• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this is as far as I got today. 2 coats dye. Angelus green with a touch of dark brown and Fiebings burgundy cut with 40% isopropyl. Conditioned with Bick4 and then Collonil forest cream for the green and Meltonian cherry cream for the red. A bit brighter than the AE shoes. Needs a little more polish work and some sandpaper and wax for the edges. These thrifted Bostonians were headed for the bin but will now have many happy holidays.
20181215_222124.jpg

Anyone know where I can get some of those candycane laces? AE isnt selling them.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this is as far as I got today. 2 coats dye. Angelus green with a touch of dark brown and Fiebings burgundy cut with 40% isopropyl. Conditioned with Bick4 and then Collonil forest cream for the green and Meltonian cherry cream for the red. A bit brighter than the AE shoes. Needs a little more polish work and some sandpaper and wax for the edges. These thrifted Bostonians were headed for the bin but will now have many happy holidays.
View attachment 1090195
Anyone know where I can get some of those candycane laces? AE isnt selling them.
AE does have them in their clearance section. But you’ll have to pay shipping. If you have an AE store nearby just buy enough merchandise to get the free shipping and then return whatever you don’t want. It would be The same hassle as buying the laces in store.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet...aces/SF936.html?dwvar_SF936_color=937#start=1

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other week I bought this strange pair of Alden shoes. Model 824. I had seen their "USA" line a few times in the past but this pair was NOS and just $35 and in my size. Based on the logo and Marshalls tag, they are likely from the late 80s or 90s.

They have pretty standard Alden construction with, what i believe, is a padded factory insole over the normal Alden leather insole.

They are sort of ugly so I don't see myself wearing them until I am in my 80s.

View attachment 1090032 View attachment 1090033 View attachment 1090034 View attachment 1090035 View attachment 1090036 View attachment 1090037
What about stripping and dyeing them?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1090195

Great job!

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE does have them in their clearance section. But you’ll have to pay shipping. If you have an AE store nearby just buy enough merchandise to get the free shipping and then return whatever you don’t want. It would be The same hassle as buying the laces in store.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet...aces/SF936.html?dwvar_SF936_color=937#start=1
Thanks Not the true candycane laces but I think the green/red will work. Try and swing by Oakbrook on the way back from #DaBears! No vintage shoes...but a vintage jersey.
20181216_095435.jpg

Yes I am still a child when its football time.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has not been a lot of activity in the shoe lab recently. I have been fighting with a pair of shoes @mariusscott sent me to dye and the shoes have been winning.
I put those aside to work on a Christmas project today. I really like the AE Jinglebell Mok but I am NOT paying $300 for shoes I will wear twice a year.
View attachment 1089958
Had some old Crown Windsors in the pile to be worked on so I am attempting a Christmas conversion.
Early results are promising.
View attachment 1089957
View attachment 1089955
Dying shoes with a 1/4" paintbrush is a pain **********.
Happy Saturday. Carry On.
Love!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1090195

Superb!!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seller always lists at fair prices. I have bought 3 pairs from him. All NOS and for great prices.
Coincidentally my pair of AE shell Grayson just arrived yesterday. On the right here, with Alden 563 on the left. Both color #8 but very different in color and tone. Sorry about the gloomy lighting, it's about to start raining here, which I never complain about. Total for both: $106.
77353774-5E08-4E1A-83D7-C0F8A978358E.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Not the true candycane laces but I think the green/red will work. Try and swing by Oakbrook on the way back from #DaBears! No vintage shoes...but a vintage jersey.
View attachment 1090398
Pretty sure the laces are only sold online.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1090398
And you brought home a W vs the Pack. And a division title. And at least 1 playoff home game too. On to SF next week!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads