• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday. Winthrop answered the call today.
20210929_183241.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had this in several pairs and I have found it can be handled quickly with just good ol' rubber cement. Thin coat on both surfaces and then stick it back down. If that sounds impractical, shoot some pictures and post them.
+1.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts? $15 isn't bad but I don't want to get them if they're garbage.
i’m pretty sure they aren’t garbage. The upscale brand made by walk over was called Keith highlander. I have a pair of those and they are really well-made. $15 is not bad at all. When I started collecting I bought a lot of different shoes. I got rid of a lot of those shoes too. I try to be really picky now. Otherwise, I feel obligated to wear a pair that I only sort of like over one of the many pairs that I love. My $.02.

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
i’m pretty sure they aren’t garbage. The upscale brand made by walk over was called Keith highlander. I have a pair of those and they are really well-made. $15 is not bad at all. When I started collecting I bought a lot of different shoes. I got rid of a lot of those shoes too. I try to be really picky now. Otherwise, I feel obligated to wear a pair that I only sort of like over one of the many pairs that I love. My $.02.
Thanks for the advice! I think it's not a bad idea to acquire a few cheap pairs to figure out my preferred styles and sizing. They look like decent, comfortable shoes anyway. Like you all say, even mid-tier shoes of the day are leagues better than the junk being turned out overseas today.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my listing. Let me know if you have any questions.

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
That's my listing. Let me know if you have any questions.
By the way, I didn't think they were garbage shoes. They look great to me, I just know that some of the mid-tier American manufacturers took a nose dive in/after the 70s and I'm not good enough yet to tell whether or not a pair suffers from that. I completely struck out at the thrift stores yesterday, so these may become my consolation.

Mrdandy

Reaction score

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, All cred to finding those old beauties, NOS? I do like the serration and perforation of the brogue. What about the examples does not fit you if I may ask?
No, I didn't find them NOS, just very lightly used. Color mostly on you examples. It's all subjective of course. I can't wear a purple shoe and not a fan of the blue/black combo. I might go for all blue suede or more traditional look (I'm old).

Mrdandy

Reaction score
No, I didn't find them NOS, just very lightly used. Color mostly on you examples. It's all subjective of course. I can't wear a purple shoe and not a fan of the blue/black combo. I might go for all blue suede or more traditional look (I'm old).
Ok, understand, extravagance is subjective, the boot was navy blue. What’s you thought on the sole? To extravagant spade?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found this Singer treadle cobblers machine on Craig's list. The thing even works!! At $450 I am really tempted. Hard to get it past spousal customs.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 8.06.09 AM.png

On the other end of the spectrum, I just restored this Singer model 20. It is a child's sewing machine that actually works. It's so small it has to be clamped to the table so the child can turn the crank with one hand the guide the material with the other.

1633004028619.png

Last edited:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I found this Singer treadle cobblers machine on Craig's list. The thing even works!! At $450 I am really tempted. Hard to get it past spousal customs.

View attachment 1677572

On the other end of the spectrum, I just restored this Singer model 20. It is a child's sewing machine that actually works. It's so small it has to be clamped to the table so the child can turn the crank with one hand the guide the material with the other.

View attachment 1677573

That well placed in the living room will make a great conversation piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads