• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victorian period drama, tv or films

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Good afternoon, gents.

Looking for recommendations for period dramas (or action for that matter I guess) from the victorian period up until WWII. Essentially, I'm looking for good stuff set in the 1800s and early 1900s which in addition to the usual requirement of good films/series has a good show of both the fashion and lifestyles of this period.

To give you the general idea, my favourite show is Poirot with David Suchet. Looking for something similar, but it can also be dated earlier than poirot as I said. Already seen the Sherlock Holmes series by the way, loved it.

Thank you in advance.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Gosford Park was a pretty good movie.

The Sharpe and Hornblower series are both excellent (Sharpe is better though), but fashion doesn't really play an important part in those.

G. Mann

Reaction score
Zulu.
The Four Feathers. (Preferably the original one with Ralph Richardson.)
The Man who Would be King.
The BBC Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett.
Mountains of the Moon (w/ Patrick Bergin... hard to find but worth the search. Netflix should have it.)
Lots of BBC / Masterpiece Theatre stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads