• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean it does serve a function. Lace them up to your desired snugness and then you can take them on/off with ease. Work boots sell zipper false tongues for just that.
That's the theory but I wonder how well it works. When I tried a pair of zip service boots in store the zip didn't open up the boot enough to get my foot in without also unlacing.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look better on the site than on IG

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look better on the site than on IG
I think they look great, personally.

zargoz

Reaction score
Zip or no, is that a taller, narrower facing version of the derby boot?
That would be nice if the adjusted facings carry over to non-zip versions of the derby. That huge gap has always bugged me. Not enough to prevent to me from filling up a shelf in the closet with Viberg boxes, but still...

nareichert

Reaction score
That would be nice if the adjusted facings carry over to non-zip versions of the derby. That huge gap has always bugged me. Not enough to prevent to me from filling up a shelf in the closet with Viberg boxes, but still...
I agree with this. I think the facings on the derby boot should be closer together, it has always bothered me.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
What should I be doing to maintain my RO boots? What kind of brush should I buy? Links appreciated.

I have a few of these (one for dark suedes/roughouts and one for light-colored ones, and an extra or two). I prefer these to brushes with brass bristles, as they do the job for me and seem less severe (I do have brushes that include metal bristles, but just don't use them):

I will occasionally use one of these (again, with a couple for dark and light):

And for removing the occasional spots, this has worked quite well:

If you have a Red Wing store nearby, they may have similar items you can use.

Last edited:

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Thanks, my guys. @WeatheredHide actually, there’s a red wing store ~2 miles from my house. I’ll stop by and see what’s in store.

I think you’ll find what you need there, if it’s anything like the ones by me. I just bought two welt brushes at one of my local Red Wings a couple of weeks ago. (So pick up a welt brush or two while you’re there, too!)

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What should I be doing to maintain my RO boots? What kind of brush should I buy? Links appreciated.
I just use a suede kit from AE that was pretty cheap. 99% of it is just the suede brush and very rarely will I touch up with the eraser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads