• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviv

Reaction score
Totally agree and in some cases the original is not as good, but people pay through the nose for the prestige of the label. I think that often happens in RTW clothing, because those companies put so much emphasis on design rather than construction and the marketing dollars have to be paid for.

Viberg created a niche for themselves with an iconic look that literally would standout in a crowd and if I saw a guy wearing "trumans" or whatever Co that copied that look, I would think that is a Viberg boot, that is a hell of an accomplishment and brand power, there are very few products that are that instantly recognizable and identifiable. The thing that surprises me more is that rather than cultivating that iconic look they are churning all of these GYW models, its opening the door for the Trumans of the world just when things are getting interesting.

While I prefer stitch down, it makes perfect sense to me why they are doing all the GYW makeups. They are trying to offer shoes and boots more in the dress realm - at least a lot of them seem that way - and thereby appealing to customers who might like their stuff but find it too casual for work or dress settings. Though the fact that stitch down models seem to be decreasing is a bummer. I bet it is a cyclical thing - Notre Shop and such places have plenty of stitch down for those looking.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Never good to lose your "cool" publicly. That is the same passion that I'm sure fuels the creativity.
Here's the deal BV, the same marketing/limited availability that helps maintain your price point, is the same market condition that allows others to fill your niche. There is nothing wrong with that, at all. In fact, enough consumers saw your boots, couldn't find or afford them, and probably asked Truman to do an MTO, since you don't. I understand feeling like another boot maker is riding your coat tails, but would you also have consumers be denied because you can't meet their needs? Unfortunately, your current business model supports this behavior more than it deters it.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Viberg created a niche for themselves with an iconic look that literally would standout in a crowd and if I saw a guy wearing "trumans" or whatever Co that copied that look, I would think that is a Viberg boot, that is a hell of an accomplishment and brand power, there are very few products that are that instantly recognizable and identifiable.  The thing that surprises me more is that rather than cultivating that iconic look they are churning all of these GYW models, its opening the door for the Trumans of the world just when things are getting interesting.

Which is why I haven't purchased any Vibergs yet. The stitch down is part of the 'look' for me, but it's seemingly impossible to even get a basic cxl model in regular stock. I don't see myself owning too many pairs as it is cause work boots are pure casual wear to me and I tend to stick to dressier shoes/wardrobe, but it'd be nice to get a simple stock service boot with stitch down construction in a basic leather.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I prefer stitch down, it makes perfect sense to me why they are doing all the GYW makeups. They are trying to offer shoes and boots more in the dress realm - at least a lot of them seem that way - and thereby appealing to customers who might like their stuff but find it too casual for work or dress settings. Though the fact that stitch down models seem to be decreasing is a bummer. I bet it is a cyclical thing - Notre Shop and such places have plenty of stitch down for those looking.
I see what you are saying, and agree re: dress boots, although personally if I wanted a dress boot I'm not looking for one from Viberg regardless of welt, but I understand certain work environments vary.

Time will tell, but I hope the stitchdown to GYW ratio swings back the other way sooner than later.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is why I haven't purchased any Vibergs yet. The stitch down is part of the 'look' for me, but it's seemingly impossible to even get a basic cxl model in regular stock. I don't see myself owning too many pairs as it is cause work boots are pure casual wear to me and I tend to stick to dressier shoes/wardrobe, but it'd be nice to get a simple stock service boot with stitch down construction in a basic leather.
Hope you find a pair soon. I think they make a great product of high quality, and Ive had good customer service experiences. And I do love the fact that they experiment with some unique leather offerings, the Bison is pretty bad ass as well as the moose, even though Im trying to sell my 1035s because I bought the hiker in the exact same leather and cant justify having both.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Brett Viberg is saying I can get an identical pair of boots - in stitchdown construction, no less - as a limited Viberg x 3sixteen release for a few hundred dollars less?

Tell me more about Truman...

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brett was calling out Truman for copying a specific makeup... basically a gentleman's agreement not to just copy all the elements of specific makeups. There are lines you don't cross if you're playing nice. This is a little different than the general idea of stitchdown construction with an unstructured toe, or a legal interpretation of trademark (like Levi's famously went after Japanese makers for riffing on 501s).

Epaulet does it too and people eat it up for whatever reason.

Oh someone had to go there! :nest:

stickydonk

Reaction score

You guys see the drama unfolding on Instagram?

Brett Viberg sounds like he's on his period

Last edited:

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
If you ask Truman to replicate a viberg boot in a MTO he will not do it. There are plenty of communications that prove this. Unfortunately someone came forward with a make up that was very similar to the 3sixteen boot and he went ahead with it. I'm certain at no point did he think, this is the Viberg x 3sixteen boot. Brett comes off like a complete jerk and as someone who owns multiple pairs of Viberg, it's extremely disappointing to see. I will be happy to support Truman in the future instead.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I prefer stitch down, it makes perfect sense to me why they are doing all the GYW makeups. They are trying to offer shoes and boots more in the dress realm - at least a lot of them seem that way - and thereby appealing to customers who might like their stuff but find it too casual for work or dress settings. Though the fact that stitch down models seem to be decreasing is a bummer. I bet it is a cyclical thing - Notre Shop and such places have plenty of stitch down for those looking

1f3af.png
Exactly!

What would I do if i was Mr. Viberg?
I'd keep pushing the new stuff. As for demands for the stitchdown, let the "stocklist" peeps take on & consolidate the orders & then we'll make them ... Why compete w/ shops that're selling my stuff?!

Don't know the overwhelming perception @forums like SF, that Viberg is illogically decreasing stitchdown production cuz they really aren't ... They're just not selling them directly ... & if there's ever any demand that the stocklist is not providing, then they'll probably produce & sell it themselves.

Last edited:

Aviv

Reaction score
Does what any of these people say on social media make a difference? Until I see something truly offensive nobody's social media output would make an iota of difference in whether I buy the products. They can complain about each other and intellectual property all they want; as long as the boots remain where they are I could not care less.

If this offends you enough to stop buying a brand's products,, I would want to know if you apply that logic to other things you consume. I bet you spend money daily on things made by much more offensive companies than this.

For the record, it's definitely a lame Instagram post (filled with embarrassing typos). I'm sure it will be deleted soon enough. They should really float above this bullshit and just keep their heads down. Also, the fact Brett Viberg tried to play it off like it was just his personal opinion and is somehow detached from the company is bogus. After all, doesn't he take the credit for Viberg's current "fashion" status? You either are or are not the king of the mountain. Just own it. Why beat around the bush at this point?

Mutombo

Reaction score

Hope you find a pair soon.  I think they make a great product of high quality, and Ive had good customer service experiences.  And I do love the fact that they experiment with some unique leather offerings, the Bison is pretty bad ass as well as the moose, even though Im trying to sell my 1035s because I bought the hiker in the exact same leather and cant justify having both.

Did you buy the natural bison hikers? How'd you size them relative to other lasts? I've been eyeing the natural bison hikers for a while.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know the overwhelming perception @forums like SF, that Viberg is illogically decreasing stitchdown production cuz they really aren't ... They're just not selling them directly ... & if there's ever any demand that the stocklist is not providing, then they'll probably produce & sell it themselves.
I'm not keeping a spreadsheet but my perception is that it is happening. Aside from them specifically saying they were switching "more difficult" to work leathers like Shell, the new camel offering, alot of the horsehide etc to GYW, some old stockists have disappeared, the new ones like Mr. Porter are almost exclusively GYW, so if most of the new stuff is GYW on their own website and the aforementioned changes above, my conclusion is its decreasing or at the very least GYW is increasing at a much larger rate.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tenrkysr