• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks similar to the 1035 last whis from a looks standpoint is probably my least favorite though one of the most comfortable

It sure does, definitely has that blobby profile from above. VB definitely has drawn some imitators lately, with Truman, these and a few other models/collabs from established makers like Wesco that have a distinct Viberg Vibe, as it were. As they move away from stitchdown construction I think there's a definite niche to fill.

The tonal stitching is a nice touch.

Engineer05

Reaction score
It sure does, definitely has that blobby profile from above. VB definitely has drawn some imitators lately, with Truman, these and a few other models/collabs from established makers like Wesco that have a distinct Viberg Vibe, as it were. As they move away from stitchdown construction I think there's a definite niche to fill.

The tonal stitching is a nice touch.

Some competition can be good for the consumer, though, right?
smile.gif
Personally, I like my Wesco Foot Patrols (Iron Heart collabs) and Packers better than any of my Viberg Service Boots. The redwood leather isn't very interesting, but I think the construction is as good as or better than Viberg. The nice thing about Wesco (and Truman) is they still do MTO.

ALBUM

melquiad

Reaction score
http://newenglandouterwear.com/shoes/pershing-boot-natural-chromexcel-rough-out

Very nice. Undercuts VB on price by a fair amount, though it looks MAYBE a touch less sturdy.

If I'm not mistaken, those are made by Nicks Boots.
Notice that those are a preorder, and they indicate production time is 8-12 weeks.
If you visit the Nicks Boots thread right here on SF, you will hear of several stories, recently, of wait times exceeding 20 weeks.
Having said that, I've seen Nicks' boots in person, and construction is very sturdy and hefty.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
I don't know if those are made by Nick's, but I agree with your other two points about Nicks.
1. I've read of some very extended wait times for MTO. More than double quoted times at sale time.
2. Because of the wait time I purchased Zuriick by Nick's. They were in stock, full and half sizes. They were on my feet less than five days from payment.
They are incredibly well made. They took time to break in, but are true work boots, minus a protective toe, and clean up nice enough to wear in almost any situation.

My Viberg Iron Heart collab boots suit a more casual purpose, and I like them equally.

I'm about to take my Context Viberg Horsebutt on their first serious test. Long days, lotsa miles, in casual and work settings. I imagine they'll do great. Fingers crossed.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, those are made by Nicks Boots.
Notice that those are a preorder, and they indicate production time is 8-12 weeks.
If you visit the Nicks Boots thread right here on SF, you will hear of several stories, recently, of wait times exceeding 20 weeks.
Having said that, I've seen Nicks' boots in person, and construction is very sturdy and hefty.

That makes sense -- like a lot of boots it's hard to tell where they're actually made. For instance I believe Wolverine or Red Wing or Chippeway makes boots for Allen Edmonds.

Nick's certainly has a great quality reputation, but the wait times have made me wary, after being burned by ToJ. The price is very nice...sorry for derail.

FENWAY

Reaction score

I'm about to take my Context Viberg Horsebutt on their first serious test. Long days, lotsa miles, in casual and work settings. I imagine they'll do great. Fingers crossed.

The Horsebutt's were the heaviest casual work boot I've handled. I'd be interested how your legs feel after 'lotsa miles'. Thanks in advance!

melquiad

Reaction score
That makes sense -- like a lot of boots it's hard to tell where they're actually made. For instance I believe Wolverine or Red Wing or Chippeway makes boots for Allen Edmonds.

Nick's certainly has a great quality reputation, but the wait times have made me wary, after being burned by ToJ. The price is very nice...sorry for derail.

I still cannot say, with 100% certainty, that those are made by Nicks. But the construction similarities, especially to the Nicks Hawk Americana (a 5" boot with a one-piece heel stay), and the look of the stitchdown, are very telling:
http://www.instagram.com/p/3Ky8uPgf9L/
http://www.instagram.com/p/0rKOHTgf51/

Interestingly, Nicks doesn't appear to be offering the Hawk Americana for sale any more. They were just a few months ago, but were removed from their site. I wonder if it had to do with the very obvious similarities to Viberg semidress service boot patterns?

Lt Dongle

Reaction score
What do you guys make of Truman v. Viberg? At what point does design cross the line of infringement? Especially with such a classic style

Lt Dongle

Reaction score
You guys see the drama unfolding on Instagram?

haha yeah, thats kinda what prompted the question. Brett is getting roasted it seems like. It does seem shady even for a MTO to copy a design though. If I owned a screen printing company and someone asked me to do the exact some design from another company, I just don't think that is really ethical. But just my opinion, seems like most err on the side of the paying customer

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha yeah, thats kinda what prompted the question. Brett is getting roasted it seems like. It does seem shady even for a MTO to copy a design though. If I owned a screen printing company and someone asked me to do the exact some design from another company, I just don't think that is really ethical. But just my opinion, seems like most err on the side of the paying customer
I wouldnt call it shady, this kind of thing happens all the time in the shoe world as well as many other industries. Lots of companies that offer MTO or Bespoke will try to create a design that the customer asks for, and in many cases there is no one company that can claim the "rights" to any design as most of these designs have been around for over a hundred years and been worked through by hundreds of companies if not thousands. Yes, there are certain iconic designs and people will always be attracted to the originator.

That design strikes me as a little unoriginal but in this day and age, it is hard to create something entirely new plus if it was a customer request and not some full run, I dont see how or why they would say no. The differentiation should be in the last, build quality, customer service and leather. Viberg started making tons of GYW models that to me look nothing like "Vibergs" should they have to pay homage to all the other bootmakers that use GYW? Clearly not.

The market is a viscous competitive place, and companies are forced to adapt or die. Any product that is successful with a high price point is going to attract competition who can either produce high volume at lower margins or a competitor that isnt looking for the same margin at all (who may eventually fail). It also speaks to a demand that isnt being met in one way or another. My first Viberg was a cordovan boot when you could actually just purchase them without the need for a T3 line and a hair trigger to your paypal account, and I first learned of the company because I was frustrated by the inability to by Alden models without a secret handshake. I suspect many others had a similar experience, I stayed because I was impressed by the product, and Ill leave if that is no longer the case particular if I cant purchase the things that I would like to or had in the past, which is actually happening and has been for some time.

To me this is more of an interesting lesson in the power of social media and difficulty in controlling public perception or managing reaction.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't that the premise of half the random brands people talk about on here? Get an approximation of such and such for cheap! Cut out the middleman! It's the same quality! It's built in the same factory! etc.

Epaulet does it too and people eat it up for whatever reason.

:teach:

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys make of Truman v. Viberg? At what point does design cross the line of infringement? Especially with such a classic style
From Vibergs Site
"A similar pattern was used by multiple nations as a standard issue military boot during WWII. " so for a service boot seems rather standard

In regards to the 3Sixteen thing...I had not seen that before from Truman. Rancourt does that sole/midsole combo also.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the premise of half the random brands people talk about on here? Get an approximation of such and such for cheap! Cut out the middleman! It's the same quality! It's built in the same factory! etc.

Epaulet does it too and people eat it up for whatever reason.

teacha.gif
Totally agree and in some cases the original is not as good, but people pay through the nose for the prestige of the label. I think that often happens in RTW clothing, because those companies put so much emphasis on design rather than construction and the marketing dollars have to be paid for.

Viberg created a niche for themselves with an iconic look that literally would standout in a crowd and if I saw a guy wearing "trumans" or whatever Co that copied that look, I would think that is a Viberg boot, that is a hell of an accomplishment and brand power, there are very few products that are that instantly recognizable and identifiable. The thing that surprises me more is that rather than cultivating that iconic look they are churning all of these GYW models, its opening the door for the Trumans of the world just when things are getting interesting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bettyefts