• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vest without jacket?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
BS

What can I say? It is not necessarily 120F every day, but it is hot, and even at 100+ (which is almost every day) wearing a jacket is not an option. For it to be 120F on a summer day isn't unheard of, unexpected, or uncommon.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
What can I say? It is not necessarily 120F every day, but it is hot, and even at 100+ (which is almost every day) wearing a jacket is not an option. For it to be 120F on a summer day isn't unheard of, unexpected, or uncommon.
Record high in Texas was 120'F in... 1936
eh.gif
Also, you should wear more clothes when outside temperature is higher than body temperature.

Rada

Reaction score
I guess it just depends on the kind of business you do... I'm a huge fan of the vest without a jacket, but I wouldn't step out of my office without the jacket on.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I live in Texas, and when it gets to ~120F during the summer, this look is fine as business casual. Personally, I think without the jacket, the sleeves should be rolled up. Just make sure the vest fits you and isn't big like on that model. The main thing about this look is having the additude/confidence/swagger to pull off a vest. Here is an example of me:

30kghu8.jpg

What sort of business are you conducting in this picture? I don't think this is a typical business casual environment.

Montauk

Reaction score
No. Vests without jackets are only appropriate for balding baby boomers with ponytails at rock reunion concerts with plush upholstery and "laser" shows.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratvoleur
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if a vest without a jacket, like this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vim5J2IolK...suckervest.bmp

was business formal or business casual.

It's strange, it's seem too formal to a casual day (like Friday or hot days of summer) and not enough for a formal day (for meeting days I know you should put the jacket)

Anyway, I think it's a look great. Thank to Mr.Timberlake

What do you thing?

Bye
smile.gif
!

I consider it business casual. I like the look and enjoy 3-piece suits partially because of the vest/no jacket look. It works fine. Of course, you may look a little out of place if your office allows jeans and t-shirts for casual days, but who cares?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It can be okay if you're indoors and have taken your jacket off. But make sure you don't wear a belt with it like the guy in the picture, the waistcoat should be long enough to cover the top of your trousers. And make sure your shirt fits well too, there's nothing worse than a fitted waistcoat with big blousy shirtsleeves flowering from either side.
Low-rise trousers and belts are both mistakes with a vest. A close-cut vest with blousy sleeves, however, has a certain charm--one looks like a mid-19th century poet or young aristocrat.
Originally Posted by Todd6060
What sort of business are you conducting in this picture? I don't think this is a typical business casual environment.
The degree to which you failed to make a prostitution joke here is staggering.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
don't wear a belt with a vest?

madness! It's an ideal time to display beautiful leather!

A vest without a jacket is a great look, but I don't like the vest in the picture. The cut is too unflattering. The waist needs to be suppressed pretty heavily, IMO.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Record high in Texas was 120'F in... 1936
eh.gif

Also, you should wear more clothes when outside temperature is higher than body temperature.

Okay, so then at 110F or even just 100F you aren't going to be wearing a jacket. My apologies for the confusion on Texas' weather extremes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads