• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile shoe appropriate with tuxedo

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need a black shoe for wear with a tux, but want one that can be worn with other outfits, so no patent leather or opera pumps. I imagine something minimal like a plaintoe or captoe would be best. I've also read that wholecut may be preferable to either of those for a tux, but is a wholecut with a medallion appropriate, such as the C&J Weymouth? Do all wholecuts have medallions?

I also posted this in WTB if you have a 8.5 pair to sell me.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to find wholecuts with a plain toe: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=61223 - I don't think Allen Edmonds makes the Westgate anymore though. I'll let others weigh in on if the medallion or a captoe would or wouldn't work. By the way, I just received my pocket square from you today...thanks for the quick turn around and the great square
smile.gif

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoes are "wrong" although plenty of people wear them and no one is likely to object to your wearing them. I have been looking for a plaintoed black oxford for just this reason. I think they are probably the best choice - the proper patent lace ups are essentially just patent versions of these. I haven't really looked that hard yet, just browsed a few of the usual sites, haven't had much luck so far.
I don't know about whole cuts, I would think they would be fine, but I should think a medallion would not.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its a shawl lapel a slim loafer (such as Lobb Ashley or G&G Antibes) well polished in black.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got black calf plaintoe oxfords for this purpose, although ironically I have yet to wear them with a tuxedo or otherwise.
TrickersPT2.jpg
I have seen wholecuts made with the seam at one side, just like an Oxford seam. Those would work for me. The ones I saw were an Italian brand, maybe Ferragamo. I don't think I would like normal wholecuts (with the seam at the back) as well. In any case, I would not want anything with a medallion.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah, but that is proving rather hard to find. If anyone does know of one that doesn't cost the earth I would like to know where I can get it.

kannoos

Reaction score
Well, the only thing I have been able to find is this. However, that costs £550. It would probably be easier to just get some dedicated evening shoes if you don't think captoes are appropriate, as affordable wholecut calfskin shoes seem to be hard to find, whereas you can get pumps for about £90 from Broadland slippers.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kannoos
Well, the only thing I have been able to find is this. However, that costs £550. It would probably be easier to just get some dedicated evening shoes if you don't think captoes are appropriate, as affordable wholecut calfskin shoes seem to be hard to find, whereas you can get pumps for about £90 from Broadland slippers.

That lodger shoe is actually pretty cool, but costs too much for me at this stage, maybe not for Kent Wang though.

I am pretty much reconciled to getting dedicated evening shoes, I wear black tie frequently enough that it makes sense. I have seen some patent lace ups on sale for not very much, I like the idea of slippers and pumps but they wouldn't be suitable; most of the black tie events I go to involve walking on grass to some extent, which in England usually means wet grass, and I wouldn't feel comfortable in slippers. I also appreciate the protection of a pair of lace ups against stray high heels on the dance floor.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Why not wear the Park Avenue's that I got for you?
Those are brown. I do wear them.

Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
^ Now that is a sexy shoe.
Quite. But I'm looking for under $400.

Interestingly the C&J patent that Pediwear has, the Chatham, is actually a captoe, suggesting that this style is quite acceptable.

The closest thing I can find to a plaintoe I can find is the C&J Aintree but this is a blucher so I imagine not as acceptable as a captoe balmoral.

1009handgraaintree.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would a very refined punch cap really be so bad? That's what I'm doing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads