• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventless jacket streotype

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Fred Astaire, Cary Grant, and pretty much all of the golden age Hollywood stores wore ventless almost exclusively.

Side vents for a business suit did not exist until the early 60s.

I believe, it was "˜Bunny' Roger who was one of the first to wear side-vented coats in town,
as they would give him the hourglass figure he was after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Roger

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Side vents for a business suit did not exist until the early 60s.
I'm not sure that is correct. I have pictures of my father and both grandfathers which pre-date the 60's and their suit coats clearly had side vents and they certainly weren't what I would call innovators.

treydog999

Reaction score
I have most of my jackets have double vents due to my big buttocks. However even with tailoring there is still some sticking out of the vents. I think ventless covers it up much better but i only have 2 jackets that are ventless. I dont put anything in my trouser pockets except a hankie and my keys. So difficulty reaching the front or rear pockets or pulling up the jacket is not a big problem.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by treydog999
I have most of my jackets have double vents due to my big buttocks. However even with tailoring there is still some sticking out of the vents. I think ventless covers it up much better but i only have 2 jackets that are ventless. I dont put anything in my trouser pockets except a hankie and my keys. So difficulty reaching the front or rear pockets or pulling up the jacket is not a big problem.
ffffuuuu.gif

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
Hello,
I just got a nice double breasted jacket as a gift, however it dosent have a vent. The jacket is in fact one size larger than what I tend to wear so there is excess fabric to work with. Could a single vent be added? In any case does a ventless jacket produce too many wrinkles when you sit or is the effect negligible? I have never worn a ventless jacket before since they are extremly rare to find were I live.

thanks in advance

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got a nice double breasted jacket as a gift, however it dosent have a vent. The jacket is in fact one size larger than what I tend to wear so there is excess fabric to work with. Could a single vent be added? In any case does a ventless jacket produce too many wrinkles when you sit or is the effect negligible? I have never worn a ventless jacket before since they are extremly rare to find were I live.

thanks in advance
Leave it alone. There is no difference between a ventless jacket and any other type of jacket when sitting. And, finally, a double breasted jacket with a single vent is just wrong. Don't do it.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got a nice double breasted jacket as a gift, however it dosent have a vent. The jacket is in fact one size larger than what I tend to wear so there is excess fabric to work with. Could a single vent be added?
No, it takes more than just some excess fabric to properly vent a jacket. A vent isn't just a ****, there's overlap that has to be accounted for initally.

In any case does a ventless jacket produce too many wrinkles when you sit or is the effect negligible?
Leave it alone. There is no difference between a ventless jacket and any other type of jacket when sitting.

I'm going to quibble with Andy here; if someone's only seeing you from the front, then there shouldn't be any difference. However, I've seen ventless look rumpled when viewed from the side or rear while sitting. Maybe some fit and ride better than others, but I've definitely seen some that look bad.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to quibble with Andy here; if someone's only seeing you from the front, then there shouldn't be any difference. However, I've seen ventless look rumpled when viewed from the side or rear while sitting. Maybe some fit and ride better than others, but I've definitely seen some that look bad.
I don't think this phenomenon is unique to ventless jackets.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

thanks in advance

I have nothin to contribute about the actual topic but I just gotta say I’m impressed that you revived a nearly 8 year old thread to post your question. Incredible forum etiquette.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think this phenomenon is unique to ventless jackets.
It isn't unique, however I've noted a propensity for ventless jackets to present poorly when sitting from the side and the rear. Generally speaking and from just my own observations, side vents tend to sit better than single vents and those sit better than non vented.

Of course if you sit on the tail of the jacket in any of those configurations it's going to look, and probably feel, bad as a result.

Why, oh why would I be observant and opinionated about something like this? Because being almost tall at 6'3" I am convinced that ventless jackets just don't look good on me from the rear; that long drape of unbroken material tends to look like a cloth condom. However, I've noticed on less tall people that it can look good in a modern style sort of way. While observing, I've seen more than one person sit down and it ends up piling into a garbage bag look around their waist and noted to self "there's a real reason why I wouldn't want one..." I've never seen the same effect on someone with a vented jacket, YMMV.

edit: I'll also add that my observations and opinion were baked during a time when proper length jackets - ones that covered the seat - were the norm. I suspect with today's more common "cropped" versions it might be different, but having convinced myself out of them as an option, I'm not really paying attention to them anymore.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics