• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventless jacket streotype

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Flusser Fail.
Luck at poker make for a recent addition to my wardrobe ... a ventless bespoke coat ... by Flusser. Obviously he will make -- or have made -- what the customer wants.

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Way to start a thread about stereotypes...
laugh.gif

Well, that was not my point
smile.gif
) I was pointing out that I'm closer to Italy than the other countries(US and UK).
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
Well, I'm from the most central of Continental Europe and I certainly don't get a lot of ventless jackets here. Do you live in some kind of time warp?

Well, mind you, I'm from East Europe. Maybe we have more italian influence here(it sounds kinda weird tho), I don't know, it just so happens that it's full of ventless jackets here

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Way to start a thread about stereotypes...
laugh.gif

In his defense, the thread explicitly addresses a "streotype [sic]," so he really has no particular duty to defy stereotypes.
wink.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do we get from "leaner, sexier" to "feminine"?

Girlish jackets are short (ass exposing) and tightly fitted at the waist.

Look at the women's jackets on Brooks Brothers. BB provides the rear view for some products. The lady jackets often have center vents. Nothing masculine or feminine about vents of any kind.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Please explain. I'm no Flusser follower but when I searched this excerpt hit's the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by Dewey

^^This. You said "feminine" whereas Flusser is complimenting the look as leaner, sexier etc. He cites that it may not be as convenient but that's up to the wearer.

The coat I'm having made now will be ventless. I'm really starting to hate the dbl vent on me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double vents look particularly bad with a "teacup booty." This is not to suggest that anyone in this thread has one.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

Girlish jackets are short (ass exposing) and tightly fitted at the waist.

Look at the women's jackets on Brooks Brothers. BB provides the rear view for some products. The lady jackets often have center vents. Nothing masculine or feminine about vents of any kind.

+1

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that all jackets should have vents, or at the very least all the jackets that I own should. Here is a great example: A beautiful Giorgio Armani jacket in my size, in a pattern I have sort of been looking for, at a great price, and ventless
htz8r8.jpg
It's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

It's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately

+1. To me it connotes a certain '80s vibe that I don't want to project -- like heavily padded shoulders and plunging gorges. I view it as only appropriate in a dinner jacket. Otherwise, it just seems, somehow, less evolved from a functional perspective.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I prefer double to single because single always tends to flare out and stay that way, giving a bad line to the look. I recently bought a single, because I liked the jacket and have planned to sew it down enuff to look like a vent but not to open. Otherwise I would sew it half way down so it doesn't have as much fabric to flare up. I also prefer the look of double. Pre SF I thought no vent was the best, but now I think it looks like it's missing something. I'd prefer single vent sewn to look and feel like like no vent, but to keep the detail, over no vent at all.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What we, whether it is Flusser himself, Rykken, or the other clothiers here at AF Custom tell our customers is that simply the double vented jackets gives the best shape to the customers body, ventless jackets have the benefit of having a more dramatic drape (ie: Armani and A&S...think of Fred Astaire in The Band Wagon dance scene). A single vent takes away from the body shape and drape of a jacket, especially soft tailored ones. If you want to dig into society and class, single vented jackets are frowned upon, I'd go as far as to say a "commoner" style or "unsophisticated," a word I've heard it described as many times.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Dual vents only here. I don't want to look like a woman from behind and like to have easy access to my pockets.

What makes you think you don't look like a woman from the front?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
If you want to dig into society and class, single vented jackets are frowned upon, I'd go as far as to say a "commoner" style or "unsophisticated," a word I've heard it described as many times.

This is sickening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads