• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet Collars on Suits

Reaction score
About to go and get a suit done up and have worked out just about everything I'm after (thanks everyone who posts regularly here, especially all the guys who are good enough to put up pics of what they're wearing - really good stuff). I however have one question:

I am really keen on getting a suit with a velvet collar. Now I know that heavy tweed suits with velvet collars are perfectly passable (stuff like Keepers Tweed etc...) but what is 1. The general view on velvet collars on regular suits; and 2. What do people think about a velvet collar on a suit?

It's a 3 piece but apart from that fairly unremarkable as a suit done in black mohair.

Any thoughts/opinions would be brilliant. I mentioned it to my tailor and he shook his head (he's always doing that whenever I ask him to take stuff up too much - I like v.v.short trousers/sleeves).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
On a Chesterfield coat, classic. On a suit coat, gimmicky.

I think there are stills from The Avengers which show this, and while it looks cool on Steed, that is after all a costume.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Velvet with mohair seems like mixing oil and water.

I f you do talk your tailor into the velvet collar, have him save the mohair cloth for the top collar for when you change your mind later.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
On a Chesterfield coat, classic. On a suit coat, gimmicky.

I think there are stills from The Avengers which show this, and while it looks cool on Steed, that is after all a costume.

Hmmm... yeah Steed is definately partially to blame for all this...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a velvet collar added to a sportcoat:
waywblacksuit.jpg
I like it, and would do it again. A velvet collar isn't the type of thing I'd want on my only suit, but for a guy with a large wardrobe who doesn't need Conservative Business Dress, I see no harm. I think most folks find it less noticeable/objectionable than the extremely short and tight suits we see so often these days. Saving the material for a replacement collar is a good idea, I think, just in case the novelty gets old. For me it hasn't -- I might have another one done -- but YMMV.

DandySF

Reaction score
This might possibly work if you're an aficionado of vintage looks and are keenly conscious of what you're proposing. Otherwise, it's an extreme touch that would not play well in everyday settings. I suspect this affectation resides somewhere in the ground between pompous and ridiculous, if I may be so blunt.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't wear it for business, but I own a grey 3 piece suit with a contrasting velvet collar in claret-red.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am not expecting much love for that one around here, but i like it. Maybe I will post pics anytime.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Well, I wouldn't wear it for business, but I own a grey 3 piece suit with a contrasting velvet collar in claret-red.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am not expecting much love for that one around here, but i like it. Maybe I will post pics anytime.

Please do, as I'd like to see it. Maybe we can get some momentum going -- velvet collars could be the next knit ties.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the 70's it was popular to make Tartan dinner jackets with velvet shawl collars.

The next trend?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Do post I'd love to see it. I work in Soho and there's a couple of tailors there who do quite heavily stylised stuff that's a bit leftfield. As a result I very occassionally walk past someone wearing a suit with a velvet collar.

I was thinking of a black velvet collar, although red/grey sounds rather lovely.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I will try to post as soon as possible. But I fear it can take me about two weeks, cause unfortunately the mentioned suit is at my second home right now.

Also I have to blame Steed and the Avengers for wanting a suit styled like that. So I first tried a velvet collar in a sleight darker grey than the suits color. But I didn't like the low contrast, so the claret red came up. I thinks it works out quite well.

Boulevard06

Reaction score
A splendid notion! Obviously, not for business, but so what? I am thinking of doing the same myself. Big thumbs up.
Please send pictures.

LeonM

Reaction score
I have velvet collars on my covert coat, and on a dinner jacket. I wouldn't put one on a lounge suit or odd tweed jacket...

Leon

thepataphysician

Reaction score
I had my doubts about it, but i think it looks pretty nice on Doc's coat. For some reason though, I still can't decide if it makes it more formal or casual. There is a sort of cool eccentric millionaire or european royalty quality to it.

Doc- you said that you had it added, did they replace that section or just add it over top of the fabric? is it an easily reversible alteration?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads