• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass vs. Alfred Sargent "Handgrade"

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
C One significant difference that I believe makes EG & AS superior is the bed lasting. I believe there is a video floating around which shows this being done and where EG claims they are the only ones doing it. My understanding is that AS does it as well.

Here's the only reference I could find to "bed lasting."

img0859pr6.jpg

Could you explain what "bed lasting" is and why it is superior?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Pliny - thanks for comparing the two! I find the calf leathers used by Vass and the English makers to be quite different as Forex mentioned. The Vass seems smoother while the English seems a bit more grainy. Tough to say which is better although the grains of the English leather definitely seems to lend itself for more antiquing.

I'd say this pair of AS Handgrade is the best example of their calf leather I've seen in pictures. It looks very refined. I think they've only gotten better in this regard which is good to see they are constantly looking to improve.

I too am not a construction expert although I'm sure they're both on a very high level.

cheers Slew, I'm a bit confused about who uses what leather. Some say Vass uses Aniline, English makers use crust. But according to Manton in an earlier post some English makers use crust or semi-crust and some use aniline. In any case I wonder if there really is any relationship between treatment (aniline or crust) and thickness, as forex sugests. Chay told me my HGs are semi-crust.
Manton: 'One of the reasons for that, John Lobb does not like to work with crust leather (as far as I know, they do not use at all. Actually, apart from EG, nobody in England likes to work with the stuff, not even bespoke makers. Unless you know exactly what you'r doing and do it day-in, day-out like EG or Berluti, it is extremely unpredictable. You can make an entire shoe and when you start dying the finished shoe, some fault in the leather, which you had not seen beforehand, suddenly jumps out and your shoe becomes a reject. At G&G they developed a method to pre-dye or pre-wax (can't remember) the uncut skins, hoping that it will show up the irregularities; but, according to Tony: "It's not perfect".
Perhaps Chay and co have been slowly perfecting their work with semi-crust.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
is this the only proof we have? then we can move on. no worries.

i like the look and i doubt, it's a disadvantage... ...but i'll do a research.

There are valid reasons to prefer a seamed heel counter. It allows 2 curved seams to be mated together and sewn with less stretching (i.e. stress) on the leather to deform to that shape.

I'm not saying this is the reason. But it's possible.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
emptym - Interesting points. I feel like there are so many differing opinions out there that I'm not going to think too hard about who is doing what. The truth is always in the final product and what one's preference is when feeling it in their hand (or foot!).

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best thing is to own both AS and Vass. I don't understand why this comparison was even started. As I mentioned elsewhere, AS is twice the price of Vass and thus is a better finished and possibly even a better shoe but Vass probably offers a better value.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burton that medallion in your pic is sweet. and the leather is immaculate. Speaking for themselves. I think the AS HG are an evolving thing, which is exciting - just getting better and better. BTW something else I forgot to mention about the AS is the trees. They have the concave 'instep' and breather hole to allow air circulation - bonus

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
This image below shows the thickness of the AS leather (on the left).
AS380.jpg

i prefer the definitely nicer interior of the VASS. the AS seems not even close to the VASS. fwiw, it looks primitive and rugged.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
The truth is always in the final product and what one's preference is when feeling it in their hand (or foot!).

+1

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the brands mentioned in this thread I own C&J, EG & AS and having dealt many times with each firm I can say that the customer service of AS is second to none.

Having said that, the current price asked is more than fair for the amount of product and personalised customer service you get.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
i prefer the definitely nicer interior of the VASS. the AS seems not even close to the VASS. fwiw, it looks primitive and rugged.

?????? what can i say Fritzl? it just aint. robust rather than rugged.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
?????? what can i say Fritzl? it just aint. robust rather than rugged.

nothing. you like them. that's the only thing which is important.

Col.Sanders

Reaction score
I would really like to buy Sargents but as the company is curently up for sale I am really concerned! Is it worth a gamble??

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Col.Sanders
I would really like to buy Sargents but as the company is curently up for sale I am really concerned! Is it worth a gamble??

Col. Sanders - please explain how you heard that the company is for sale. Any insights are appreciated as no one else on this forum seems to have heard that and your only two posts have now mentioned this.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Col.Sanders

Why? Were you afraid you wouldn't be able to get a replacement fuel pump?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads