• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like A Harris said, they're samples. Not like selling retail stock.

It's pretty clear by now where we stand. The vitriol spans several threads. Please stop. Everyone is just getting uglier.

drake

Reaction score
I don't know whoopee, the amount of people that would have ordered though a German retailer sight-unseen seems to be about the same amount of people that would buy from eBay, sight-unseen.

While technically the German retailer would be undercutting the US outlets, in reality the amount of people that would go that route is about as significant as A Harris is "undercutting" via selling Vass shoes on eBay.

The situation is quite amusing though.

Originally Posted by whoopee
Like A Harris said, they're samples. Not like selling retail stock.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of members buy seconds sight unseen, too. Also not the same as buying retail stock from overseas.

Even if you consider this "undercutting", it cannot be compared to the German retailer. Sample sales are controlled unloading of products that are not meant to be sold at standard locations for retail price. Here the shoes available are of limited number (one pair), whereas at the German source they were not. So no, the amount of people going this route is hardly significant at all.

drake

Reaction score
You are correct, a lot of members here do buy seconds sight-unseen, but that's the same demographic that would buy samples from eBay, a very small number of people. I also agree that sample sales are very different from retail outlets and basically all of your points. I'm just saything that people that would be buying these shoes from Germany is pretty insignificant and Harris/Gabor seem to be blowing it way out of proportion talking about retailers like Bergdorf's feeling threatened by this and whatnot and in the process are making themselves look rather like amateurs. Like I said before, it's all been interesting to read, very amusing.
Originally Posted by whoopee
A lot of members buy seconds sight unseen, too. Also not the same as buying retail stock from overseas. Even if you consider this "undercutting", it cannot be compared to the German retailer. Sample sales are controlled unloading of products that are not meant to be sold at standard locations for retail price. Here the shoes available are of limited number (one pair), whereas at the German source they were not. So no, the amount of people going this route is hardly significant at all.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
First, we did not "shut down' the German seller.
Well then, Harris, why don't you be honest with us about how it is that we were told by your partner that the German seller wouldn't be able to sell to the US market any more? One might say, "Asked but never answered (by you)."

Second, by protecting our retailers, we assured that there would continue to be a retail market for Vass shoes in the United States.
Or not. Time will tell.

Asked and answered. What's the deal, do you just like to hear yourself talk?
So far, Harris, I have stuck to the specifics of this issue and have refrained from juvenile--and irrelevant--comments. I'd suggest you try to be adult too. In fact, you have answered very little about what's been asked. In the passage to which you responded with your putdown, I asked you to explain an obvious inconsistency in your actions and between these and your comments. Responding with a putdown, rather than an authentic explanation, probably provides the answer.

Perhaps the time has come to drop this, as it seems as though you don't wish to address the quite understandable questions and complaints that have been raised--or to demonstrate that you understand the completely natural concerns that many forumers have about their chances to own Vass shoes. I don't recall anyone saying that "it's just business" to indicate that you're probably a nice person outside the business context (although I could have missed that), but you sure haven't done yourself any favors with many forum members via this and other threads on this subject.

I'm done with this issue, Harris. You can have the last word.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree: the number of forum members who would buy Vass shoes from BG is probably miniscule. I think it is a bad business decision on the reps and Vass's part, but they are free to make it, and I certainly don't begrudge them for it.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no inconsistency. As stated, they're samples. Which means I can sell them however I'd like. Standard industry practice. Nobody in their right mind would question that, unless they are trying to start trouble.

So, If that German guy calls his shoes samples,
There would be no problem selling them to US customers?

Or what?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
You're right, Drake.

I've been a bad boy and I fixed it. Yours too. Aimed that cannon straight.

Yes, it appears that J has identified you as being a loose canon{sic} and wishes to distance himself from you. But, J should be advised that his interests are not well served by your belligerent rhetoric.
How long have you been around here? I've been a loose cannon since day 1. Since when is it belligerent rhetoric to defend someone who is worthy of defense as a matter of personal choice? I haven't called you or anyone else greedy or questioned your ethics.

And I'm glad you're both here to let J. know what a lousy bunch of moderators he has:

LA GUY Dudes, anyone who is accusing Halmos Gabor and Andrew about "monopolies" and "greed" apparently don't realize how distributorships work. I mean, I ***** and complain about Stateside Nudie prices, (and can't afford them) so I get my brother to bring me the occasional pair when he is visiting from the UK, but the distributor is just trying to make a living too. I'm not even going to get into different marketing strategies in different markets.
Yeah, so I called somebody a blabbermouth. I could have used a less connotative word. And I have made peace with the gentleman I described in that fashion, even though I didn't know who it was at the time I made it.

You can give it a rest or keep flinging ****...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nevermind, your argument is to inane to challenge.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
So, If that German guy calls his shoes samples,
There would be no problem selling them to US customers?

Or what?
Do you have any idea what samples are, or why they differ with first quality shoes, or why EVERY major clothing brand on the planet sells them for significantly less than the goods that go into the stores and to the end consumer???

Ever bought a floor model appliance at Sears???

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could we just lock both these threads and have done?

Thanks.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Could we just lock both these threads and have done?

Thanks.

Seconded. Everyone's put in their two cents. Minds are not going to meet on this issue. Let's just carry on.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to agree. I didn't start these threads, but hopefully I can end them.

There are plenty of things remaining that I'm tempted to respond to. But I think I've covered the essentials. To those who supported us, thank you very much. To those who did not, I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't start these threads, but hopefully I can end them.

There are plenty of things remaining that I'm tempted to respond to. But I think I've covered the essentials. To those who supported us, thank you very much. To those who did not, I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Or bragging about undercutting the current Forum specials from Engineered Garments and Michael J. Krell. Or bragging about scooping Chris' source on the Grensons. IMO just not done...
While I'm not too familiar with those two companies - EG does belts, right? - if either one of them sells those products abroad for considerably less than they offer it in the US, and somebody opens up an enterprise to offer people willing to suffer some inconvenience (or not, considering that either way it's mail order) a better price, as long as said enterprise obtains its merchandise legally what could possibly be wrong with that? I'm of the belief that corporations should not be the only entities to benefit from the massive improvements in communications, global finance, and and logistics in the globalization age. Individuals should, too. Are you opposed to the importation of Canadian medicine and sharing of sources on that front, too? It's the exact same principle, after all, only arguably even more grey than the idea of importing shoes. Shoes are a product that (assuming they're not made from animals covered under the Endangered Species Act and aren't filled with blow or something) are basically unregulated, while there is considerable Federal regulation on medicine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads