• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
775
Vast and mysterious powers have conspired to put the kabash on our friends in Germany exporting Vass shoes to our shores for 1/2 the cost of what we pay. Hmmm. Anyone else see any resemblence to Hungary circa 1956? Coincidence, I think not.

Viva la Vass.

 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,134
Reaction score
1,211
How long did you think that was going to last? You know the folks from BG read the forum. How long did you think Gabor was going to let us buy shoes for half price? The lesson learned? Next time keep your source to your self.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
775
Originally Posted by mr monty
How long did you think that was going to last? You know the folks from BG read the forum. How long did you think Gabor was going to let us buy shoes for half price? The lesson learned? Next time keep your source to your self.


I hear you but it sort of defeats what makes this Forum rock. Greed will out.
 

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,078
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by mr monty
The lesson learned? Next time keep your source to your self.

I think that aportnoy should be commended for his generosity.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
At least you'll still get your shoes right?

I wonder if they'll export them to other countries.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
775
Thanks for the kind words Tomasso. I think this is incredibly short sighted business practice for all the parties trying to block it.

Whoppee...I'm in good shape re: my order but I it certainly tempers my overall joy over this find.
 

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
1,803
Reaction score
51
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Vast and mysterious powers have conspired to put the kabash on our friends in Germany exporting Vass shoes to our shores for 1/2 the cost of what we pay. Hmmm. Anyone else see any resemblence to Hungary circa 1956? Coincidence, I think not.

Viva la Vass.



I'll repeat what I have written on Ask Andy:

It seems to me that the ability of a manufacturer (say, Mr. Vass) to exchange his product with someone else (say, a shoe dealer in Germany) in exchange for whatever consideration both monetary and non-monetary (say, an agreement not to resell those shoes in the United States) they freely agree upon is the very essence of a free market.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,969
Reaction score
3,573
Andrew,

I figured as much would happen when you first posted, that is why I PM'd you asking for the source. I was surprised you mentioned the source publicly on AskAndy. Anyway, you are a good egg for sharing the info and BG is very, very mistaken if they think that they will now have droves of people going in to pay $1400 for the Vass shoes. This is not the end of this story, where there is a will, there is a way!
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,969
Reaction score
3,573
Originally Posted by jcusey
I'll repeat what I have written on Ask Andy:

It seems to me that the ability of a manufacturer (say, Mr. Vass) to exchange his product with someone else (say, a shoe dealer in Germany) in exchange for whatever consideration both monetary and non-monetary (say, an agreement not to resell those shoes in the United States) they freely agree upon is the very essence of a free market.


You could also call that collusion or an illegal monopoly. Free market means Vass sells the shoes to whichever dealers want to buy them. The dealers in turn sell the shoes for whatever price and to whoever they can sell them. By not allowing the german dealer to ship to the US and compete freely, Vass is helping BG maintain their outlandish margin as there is no where else to go for the shoes. I know that the world works differently, but in theory we should be able to buy what we want, where we want.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
775
Originally Posted by jcusey
I'll repeat what I have written on Ask Andy:

It seems to me that the ability of a manufacturer (say, Mr. Vass) to exchange his product with someone else (say, a shoe dealer in Germany) in exchange for whatever consideration both monetary and non-monetary (say, an agreement not to resell those shoes in the United States) they freely agree upon is the very essence of a free market.


So, the German store made this agreement without any coercion on anyone else's part. Laughable.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
775
Originally Posted by edmorel
Andrew,

I figured as much would happen when you first posted, that is why I PM'd you asking for the source. I was surprised you mentioned the source publicly on AskAndy. Anyway, you are a good egg for sharing the info and BG is very, very mistaken if they think that they will now have droves of people going in to pay $1400 for the Vass shoes. This is not the end of this story, where there is a will, there is a way!


Like trying to stop salmon from spawning Ed. Like in Jurassic Park, life always finds a way.
 

demeis

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2004
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
2
What was the german retailer? I remeber this discussion earlier but sadly at that time i was not able to afford them.
 

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
9,464
Reaction score
21
Originally Posted by edmorel
Andrew,

I figured as much would happen when you first posted, that is why I PM'd you asking for the source. I was surprised you mentioned the source publicly on AskAndy. Anyway, you are a good egg for sharing the info and BG is very, very mistaken if they think that they will now have droves of people going in to pay $1400 for the Vass shoes. This is not the end of this story, where there is a will, there is a way!

No kidding. What percentage of people on this forum regularly pay full retail for RTW shoes? Very few. What percentage of the people on this forum would pay $1400 for Vass shoes at BG? Even fewer to none. We are not their target audience. If Vass's choice is 1) sell the shoes to us through Germany; or 2) not sell us any of their shoes at all - then you'd think they'd pick the first option. Oh well.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,327
Messages
9,443,700
Members
197,873
Latest member
gla158gx
Top