Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aportnoy, Apr 26, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Bergdorf does not carry the U last. Bergdorf only has two or three models of Vass, a pebblegrain loafer with a Vibram sole for about $950 or so, a cordovan loafer in black and brown for $1250 or so, the hearty budapest wingtip for $1490 or so and a perforated captoe in what seems to be the P2 last for $1490. So that would lead to the question that if BG or anyone in the US does not carry the U last, are you really undercutting anyone by ordering overseas?

I am pretty sure that they have one shoe in stock in the U-last right now.

I have no problem with the German resource. I just question the idea that AHarris is claiming that we should only buy through Vass dealers and then selling brand new Vass on EBAY.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am pretty sure that they have one shoe in stock in the U-last right now..

I was there last night but I could be mistaking the P2 last for the U last.

[/quote]I have no problem with the German resource. I just question the idea that AHarris is claiming that we should only buy through Vass dealers and then selling brand new Vass on EBAY.[/quote]

You are preaching to the converted but those are probably samples or they might be Ugolini which is not technically the same as Vass from a Vass dealers perspective.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

The U last shoes can be ordered through BG.

I know. I just don't want to pay an extra $700-800 just to have BG pick up the phone and call the North America Vass rep who will then pick up the phone and call Vass in Hungary. I'll galdly save them the trouble and the long distance charges and just make the call myself [​IMG]

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am quite free to dispose of my samples as I see fit.

Are you guys going to argue now that the sample sales I've held here on the Style Forum are a bad thing? I have been giving everyone here first chance to buy our samples, perhaps I should reconsider.

Then why this thread?

5. Roger

Roger Senior member

Are you guys going to argue now that the sample sales I've held here on the Style Forum are a bad thing? I have been giving everyone first chance to buy our samples, perhaps I should reconsider.
    I think that the point of this thread was the observation that your selling of the Vass shoes was undercutting the one retail store that you sell to. And since you have established here and on the AAAC forum that the motivation behind shutting down the German seller was to protect your retailers in North America from what they would consider unfair competition, your own selling of the same product is inconsistent with this motivation. It is in the best interests of forumers for you to sell Vass shoes directly to them, and I suspect that they would wish you'd do more of it. However, it seems from all you've said that your first obligation is to those to whom you sell and who then attempt to sell at retail. I suspect that BG are OK with your doing this with your samples, but I'm sure you can see the apparent inconsistency between your official position and your eBay selling activity. This may be more apparent than real--I really don't know--but when as many people have been hacked-off as clearly have been over this action taken on the German seller, you can understand, I'm sure, how hypocrisy will be suspected.

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

While there is an American tendency to assume that they are the entire world (and I'm not directing this at Forumites, don't worry), I wonder how what's happened will affect...well, the rest of the world.

There is no Bergdorf in Australia, or in most of the world (hell, or in the vast majority of US locations). I cannot buy Vass shoes retail, whether I want to or not. If I can also not mail order them now, I get none, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Seeing that U-last got me thinking, actually. I'd not been hugely taken by a lot of the more trad Vass styles, but these are really nice. Yet, if I won't ever own a pair...

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Are you guys going to argue now that the sample sales I've held here on the Style Forum are a bad thing? I have been giving everyone here first chance to buy our samples, perhaps I should reconsider.

Threatening prospective customers, a novel approach.

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

When it is a special case with a boutique brand that has bent over backward to give both Forum's members first crack at stock sales and offered special- after special- price. Then several members who have already taken advantage of these sales have the unmitigated gall to call the reps "greedy". These reps make 10-20%, if that, on any of the sales they make to the Forum members.

I believe the member mentioned and I have made peace. Not that I care, but the remaining posts after mine have run about 50/50. Another moderstor has weighed in on the Vass side. You're a newly registered poster. What dog do you have in this hunt?

And if you don't like how the Forum is moderated, feel free to be on your way, Mr. Vandelay.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is no inconsistency. As stated, they're samples. Which means I can sell them however I'd like. Standard industry practice. Nobody in their right mind would question that, unless they are trying to start trouble.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

You are all crazy. Vass will sell directly to the US for $500-600 delivered, and there are other sellers willing to sell the shoes for the same price. I know of one in Austria. I do not think Vass is sophisticated enough to interfere in other people's selling practices. They might show an interest in making sure their own prices do not undercut regional sellers (the price from the factory is retail and very close to prices in Germany and Austria). And Bergdorf Goodman's prices are overpriced and inflated for everything, that is how department stores operate. This is why they have ridiculous sales. I am not sure what this has to do with Harris and Gabor, were they not around BG's prices would still be inflated.
    True, I know you got your special order direct from Vass.

11. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

There is no inconsistency. As stated, they're samples. Which means I can sell them however I'd like. Standard industry practice. Nobody in their right mind would question that, unless they are trying to start trouble.

Careful lads, or there will be trouble... over the internet, no less.

12. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

Would these shoes, EU 47, fit a American 13E? I have a pair of EG's on the 888 last 12.5/13E, and they fit fine, although a bit snug. Think the U-Last would offer a similar fit?

13. Roger

Roger Senior member

When it is a special case with a boutique brand that has bent over backward to give both Forum's members first crack at stock sales and offered special- after special- price. Then several members who have already taken advantage of these sales have the unmitigated gall to call the reps "greedy". These reps make 10-20%, if that, on any of the sales they make to the Forum members.
    Steve B., how about if we not try to deflect the issue. The point made by Mr. Vandelay was that your comment about excoriating the member who--in an attempt to be generous to fellow forumers--brought people's attention to an alternative, and less-expensive, source for Vass shoes seemed contrary to the goals of forums like this one. Let's not try to bury that fact by bringing up the "greed" issue, which is another issue completely. Are you now saying that, because the brand was Vass, whose NA rep has, on occasion, offered shoes at a markup of only 10%-20% at certain events and locations, this member should have kept his mouth shut? Was it, then, bad judgment on the member's part? As a moderator, can you provide those of us having perhaps insufficient information and experience to know what brands satisfy your criteria with a list of "most favored status"? I had thought that forums like this one were expected to provide uncensored information to their members, and, certainly pointing to an opportunity for members to better themselves sartorially falls into that category.

I believe the member mentioned and I have made peace. Not that I care, but the remaining posts after mine have run about 50/50. Another moderstor has weighed in on the Vass side. You're a newly registered poster. What dog do you have in this hunt?
    What is the probation period for members before they are free to post their opinions? If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Vandelay has been a member for about one year.

And if you don't like how the Forum is moderated, feel free to be on your way, Mr. Vandelay.
    Really. So if we object to your beating up a fellow forumer, we should just go away? Does this apply to our assessment of the actions of other moderators, or just Steve B?

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Vass will sell directly to the US for $500-600 delivered

Is this current and accurate information?

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I have been asked by J. to clarify that I have expressed my opinion, not the Forum's.

If you'd like me censured, take it up with him.

Mr. Vandelay has 2 posts, and could quite easily have joined as a troll simply to belabor this point, even an alternate identity to one of many that have been banned.

I stand by my statements.

I don't think the greed issue is separate because it was the primary reason cited against the Vass reps for eliminating the German source.

Again, this case is different because it is one of the forum's own.

It would be similar to someone selling Jay Allen merchandise in the same fashion.