• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanity plates

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
One of my favorites in the "Now what did he mean by that" category of vanity plates hangs in a bar on Ocracoke Island (North Carolina Outer Banks) and reads "LVDWIF" "Love da wife" or "Leave da wife"?
"Loved wife"? It should be BLVDWIF then. But then it is Boulevard wife. And that means something else entirely.

CoryB

Reaction score
One of my neighbours has a Porshe with the license plate "UWANKER". It always gets me when I see it. It would look ridiculous on a lesser car, but on his Porshe it fits nicely.

Memphis

Reaction score
I drive a VW R32 and have the plate 4MOTION because its a Golf with AWD and the plate confuses people.

I have even had people argue with me about my car not having 4motion when it does. The only place VW put a 4motion logo was on the shift knob.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Memphis
I drive a VW R32 and have the plate 4MOTION because its a Golf with AWD and the plate confuses people.

I have even had people argue with me about my car not having 4motion when it does. The only place VW put a 4motion logo was on the shift knob.

You mean unlike Audi, which puts the damn Quattro badge everywhere?

Jon.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
One of my neighbours has a Porshe with the license plate "UWANKER". It always gets me when I see it. It would look ridiculous on a lesser car, but on his Porshe it fits nicely.
There's a Jaguar I see locally every once in a while, with plates reading "JAGOFF".

Also, saw this one the other day, had to take a picture:

21050608564sw.jpg

Based on the music coming out of the window before he parked, I'm guessing he paid a couple of hundred bucks to tell people he really likes Nickelback.

Pink22m

Reaction score

I know I have seen some Passat's with the 4motion badge on the right rear of the vehicle.

I recall once seeing a vanity plate on Mercedes CLK 430 that said, "HIM8NTZ"

I also recall a vanity plate on a red Mazda Miata that said, "DO ME"

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
By the way, how much do these vanity plates typically cost?

i think in california they're about $100, but you also have to pay extra to renew them. i'm not sure though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
By the way, how much do these vanity plates typically cost?

It completely depends on the state (in the US). I remember growing up in Washington and they were very expensive. Here in Maryland they are only $50/year or something (total). Virginia was even cheaper (35?).

bob

vc2000

Reaction score
My key man policy restricts me from having vanity plates. The insurer (a Berkshire Hathaway company) feels accidents happen with high profile activities like vanity plates. Not sure that I would have vanity plate anyway but I find this highly ironic as Warren Buffet sports vanity plates on his (used) Lincoln Town Car that pronounce "Thrifty." His daughter gave him the plates apparently for a Dad that had everything.

http://business.missouri.edu/1249/default.aspx

No I haven't tried the Buffett angle with my insurer. I hope they forget about me and stop raising my rates. My pilots and license and scuba certification give them fits.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000
My key man policy restricts me from having vanity plates. The insurer (a Berkshire Hathaway company) feels accidents happen with high profile activities like vanity plates. Not sure that I would have vanity plate anyway but I find this highly ironic as Warren Buffet sports vanity plates on his (used) Lincoln Town Car that pronounce "Thrifty." His daughter gave him the plates apparently for a Dad that had everything.

http://business.missouri.edu/1249/default.aspx

No I haven't tried the Buffett angle with my insurer. I hope they forget about me and stop raising my rates. My pilots and license and scuba certification give them fits.

That seems odd, better that than a membership to the Homemade Aircraft Club and Rube Goldberg Memorial Ramshackle Diving Equipment Society...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe it's possible to get very subtle vanity plates. My friend's father who was running for (and won) office had W02-DNC for Warner 2002 Democrat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics