1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vanity plates

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do you think they are tacky? I think the really boastful ones like I RULE, QUEEN, HOTTIE, etc. are.

My next car, I will get a vanity plate that says 1CHINA. It's rather subtle as few are familiar with the One China policy; most would just assume that I am pro-China.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

3. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

I've seen a '11SEPT' on a Prius in SF last summer.

Otherwise I think one has to be careful for them not to come off as tacky.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

ahh wang. king of the three inch license plate

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

Always tacky. So tacky.

6. King Salmon

King Salmon Senior member

7. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Do you think they are tacky? I think the really boastful ones like I RULE, QUEEN, HOTTIE, etc. are.

It must be something about black cars at the Lotus dealership.

The shuttle wasn't available and La Jolla Taxi told me it would be an hour until they could get a cab to me. So, I bribed the lot boy to give me a ride the three miles to my office. When he pulled up to the waiting area and pushed open his car's passenger door, I just hopped in and sat back. As soon as we pulled onto the road, catcalls and horn honking from other cars began. Five minutes later when he dropped me off, I watched him pull away. His black Chevelle was outfitted with chrome wheels, wide white wall tires, big Playboy Bunny insignias in the back window, and. . . the license plate said: BLK-BTCH.

An insurance broker who was also a client at the Lotus dealership regularly prospected me. I eventually gave him an opportunity to provide a plan and quote. For his proposal, he took me to lunch in a black Lotus Esprit. [​IMG]jà vu set in immediately. Horn honking and derisive catcalls began. He blamed the situation on the personalized license plate on the Esprit. Originally, he bought the car for his wife and she ordered the plate. She didn't like the car. So, her husband drove it. The plate said: FOXY ME.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I like them when they are clever and inspired. I think they are lame when they are lame. When mine comes in I'll tell you and you can judge.

The best one I ever saw was on a late '80s Vette (yes I know it's not the prettiest car). It was being driven by a rather statuesque blonde with long hair that was, at the time, flying in the slipstream and looking very, very good. The license plate: STUNNING.

Was she ever.

Regards,
    Huntsman

9. j

j Senior member Admin

The best one I ever saw was on a 90s 300ZX TT with extreme modifications that read "H8SR520" - S.R. (State Route) 520 is the highway that runs from Seattle to Redmond and is notorious for horrendous traffic at certain times and places. With a car like that, stop-and-go traffic would be absolute torture.

10. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

Driving home from work tonight.... PEPSI4J

i guess j really likes pepsi. [​IMG]

11. King Salmon

King Salmon Senior member

The license plate: STUNNING.
    What state permits eight characters on the plate?

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

A6MTYPE0 on a Mitsubishi.

Best. Vanity. Plate. Ever.

13. ATM

ATM Senior member

I once saw a Cadillac with the plate WIGGERS. I assumed it was the surname of the elderly people in the car.

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

A6MTYPE0 on a Mitsubishi.

Sorry, but I can't figure this one out. What does it say?

I have plates that read DR BOB. As a friend said to me: "Kinda arrogant, kinda funny. Like you."

bob

15. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

One of my favorites in the "Now what did he mean by that" category of vanity plates hangs in a bar on Ocracoke Island (North Carolina Outer Banks) and reads "LVDWIF" "Love da wife" or "Leave da wife"?

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My favorite was when Tobias Funke had a whole set made up with things like DR HOUSE, etc.

17. j

j Senior member Admin

One of my favorites in the "Now what did he mean by that" category of vanity plates hangs in a bar on Ocracoke Island (North Carolina Outer Banks) and reads "LVDWIF" "Love da wife" or "Leave da wife"?
    "Loved wife"? It should be BLVDWIF then. But then it is Boulevard wife. And that means something else entirely.

18. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

One of my neighbours has a Porshe with the license plate "UWANKER". It always gets me when I see it. It would look ridiculous on a lesser car, but on his Porshe it fits nicely.

19. Memphis

Memphis Senior member

I drive a VW R32 and have the plate 4MOTION because its a Golf with AWD and the plate confuses people.

I have even had people argue with me about my car not having 4motion when it does. The only place VW put a 4motion logo was on the shift knob.

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I drive a VW R32 and have the plate 4MOTION because its a Golf with AWD and the plate confuses people.

I have even had people argue with me about my car not having 4motion when it does. The only place VW put a 4motion logo was on the shift knob.

You mean unlike Audi, which puts the damn Quattro badge everywhere?

Jon.