• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Passes France In Wine Consumption

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I learned slightly different, not that i have my notes available

I think

viti = growing any grape

vini = growing grapes for vinification.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c'mon piob, give it a rest. this nonsense started with me commenting that i liked to taste the grape in chardonnay and it has now spun into CE "how many angels" "what do you mean by 'is'?" territory.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't think so but whatever. I think every choice impacts the wine but readily see that some are more artificial, for lack of a better word, than others. I agree, using the word "manipulation" connotes certain things while not connoting others. I'm trying to acknowledge that while also keeping in mind that all choices impact the final product. /shrug

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
nm, I'm thinking vinification

So we could split it up to viniculture, its choices and impacts and vinification, its choices and impacts? "Manipulation" would be a subset of vinification choices, like soaking oak chips?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Can I go back to enjoying my wine now? Or at least in four hours.

Will you be stopping for wood chips to soak in it on the way home?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Will you be stopping for wood chips to soak in it on the way home?

Matt doesn't strike me as one who would enjoy a good teabagging.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winedrinking
Actually, Kendall-Jackson and it's family doesn't use oak chips. In essence, they don't "teabag" any of their wines. Everything made is done in oak. Now whether or not that fits your palate is a different story altogether.

It's also worth noting that just because something is mass produced doesn't mean it's made in bulk, if you follow my distinction. KJ uses small lots, and artisan techniques.

Originally Posted by Manton
I'm shocked that it's possible to age a million case production in oak, not using chips, and still be able to charge what they charge.

I'm shocked that despite using "small lots" and "artisan techniques" they've still managed to produce such a vile product.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can I go back to enjoying my wine now? Or at least in four hours.

I think I shall have that bottle of white, the one I ordered special, on Sunday with some scallops.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
there are so many wine books out there. kwilky cited two very good references for looking things up. but trying to learn about wine through a reference is like trying to learn about history through an encyclopedia ... it can be done, but you're going to miss a lot of context. if you really want to learn about wine ... not just be able to rattle off place names and obscure production techniques ... i think the best writer around is my old friend Matt Kramer. His "Making Sense of Wine" is absolutely terrific. he followed that up with "Making Sense of Burgundy", which is more specific but even better (history of why burgundy is the way it is). He's also done books on italy and california. the vital difference with matt's books is a) he's a REALLY graceful writer, a pleasure to read, not just a collector of facts; and b) you really get the context in which these wines exist. they're not just free-floating brand names.

This is my favorite wine book. It sets you up to enjoy, not be an expert, which is exactly what I want. Good to hear he is a nice guy as well. Certainly comes off as one.

Never heard of him, but I'll see what the library can do for me based on your recs.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Never heard of him, but I'll see what the library can do for me based on your recs.
He is a good writer, and he has a great, IMO, perspective on what wine drinking ought to be about. Now, the latter probably doesn't apply to you as your job is to have more technical info, but I think it would still be useful, as educating your customers to take his perspective, or at least understand it, would be good for them, and eventually good for the wine world.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define world class.
That which is not Toronto.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by Manton
There is a longstanding prejudice against Zin in the CA wine country going back to Prohibition days. It was always most grown by the Italians who dominated the Valley. It was considered very cheap and strong but not elegant. During Prohibition, crushing one's own wine was legal in certain quantities. The Italians survived by selling Zin (and other cheap grapes) to Italians throughout the country who crushed and fermented basement wine. This was considered very immigrant and downmarket.

Zin never really recovered from that. It's always been considered a cheap grape for mass consumption by lowbrows.

I enjoy plonk, myself -- mostly Italian or South American. I confine anything approximating pretense to my whiskey.
oregonian_winesmiley.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I enjoy plonk, myself -- mostly Italian or South American. I confine anything approximating pretense to my whiskey.

You sir, have lost the right to refer to yourself as "Canadian."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads