• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban ripping off designers

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Cunfuzun

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Stop saying random **** you don't know anything about.
musicboohoo[1].gif

See, I was nice enough not to say that the Lindqvist monstrosity you posted looked like the drug rug I used to wear back in sixth grade, and then you have to go and...

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
mazda- socal actually wears most of that rick/damir stuff pretty well. He's the perfect tall/lanky build for that kinda stuff too. I'm guessing you're not really sure what you're talking about but going for the safe joke?

No, the fact that he will clearly wear anything, needs to get responses on each and every nuance and thinks his closet is some sort of repository of avante garde style yet has no direction or statement is my point.

I find some of it fairly cool on Socal and I like similar pieces on Kunk despite his stupid cellphone photos and running joke pose. I like it the same way I like the idea of a Minor Threat t shirt. context is what ruins things.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I mean, the brands sz guys jerk it to (ann d, damir doma, rick owens, ccp, etc...) aren't crazy avant garde to where it's unwearable. Even the runway pieces really aren't that hard to wear. I mean, even if you want to take a guy like Gareth Pugh whose first mens collection debuted a few months ago. Sure he had a lot of crazy pieces but the stuff that will actually go into production will be some of the tamer ones, and also they'll be changed a bit during production to be a bit tamer for selling in boutiques. Will his jackets, pants be for everyone? Probably not, but some people will pick them up and not look crazy. I think fuuma was already planning on getting something. The same thing was discussed about Patrick Ervell. Either it's what goes into production or what the stores pick up but you rarely see anything but air jackets, pants, plain sweaters, and club collar button ups. mazda- Is wanting to get attention for clothes really that different than what a lot of posters do on here who post fits? Also, the same for posters who need to spit vitriol to get responses from other online forum members or people in CE feeling the need to spout their opinion to get people riled up, or whatever. Everyone likes recognition, attention, and people to talk with. Not all that weird. As far as pieces having direction, what are you talking about? One thing about socal wearing that stuff that is nice compared to other SZ people is that he's not as pretentious about it and can throw on what some consider really super cool avant garde pieces as daily beaters and be comfortable. Then again, most can't afford that. I just think people get up in arms over weird things but not others. Then again, like with farts, everyone likes their own brand (haha. pun. get it?)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, even if you want to take a guy like Gareth Pugh

donotwant.jpg

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There was some company that had even Bson ripoffs which was kinda funny to me. A hoodie and one of their cowl tshirts. Looked almost exactly like it. Can't think of the brand. Think it was a house brand of some place like topshop or asos

Someone was accusing Perse of being a Bson ripoff a while back. I lulzed.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
Someone was accusing Perse of being a Bson ripoff a while back. I lulzed.

If you can track it down, that's my new sig.

Crazy

Reaction score
These look pretty similar to Quoddy. They've got the tonal stitching/laces, and the midsole is the same. All thats missing is the third eyelet and tonal rivets. Not a total copy, but definitely a rip off.

15585110_41_d.jpg

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
There are a lot of examples of direct rips by Urban.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Rye's brand is stocked there?

Maybe not the most objective observer.

I was only refering to F21.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't rep

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just looked up gareth pugh. Is he really replacing KVA at dior homme? ............................

hopefully he starts designing more wearable pieces.

they should get him to do the wardrobe in tim burton movies.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urban Outfitters is worse because they have an unfortunate legacy of ripping off small artists and brands. The corporate ownership also has supported conservative politicians and movements (including explicitly anti-gay rights) that seem at odds with their intended customer base.

When H&M knocks off CdG, they appeal to very different customer bases and while this may not be 100% kosher it is much more palpable.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crazy
These look pretty similar to Quoddy. They've got the tonal stitching/laces, and the midsole is the same. All thats missing is the third eyelet and tonal rivets. Not a total copy, but definitely a rip off.
lol wut

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads