Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Urban ripping off designers

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by plooftin, Apr 14, 2009.

1. robin

robin Senior member

It's because people on the forum need to try to hate on whatever they think a hipster is so they feel more stylish and put together
    I see criticism for those other brands frequently. [​IMG]

2. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

I see criticism for those other brands frequently. [​IMG]

and I see people saying they don't like BoO, that doesn't mean it doesn't get a handjob with lovingly tickled balls by and large.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I agree, but people act like it's a new thing.

I'm not gonna lie, the UO koto stuff is actually pretty nice looking at the sale price. The cotton/canvas (i forget) peacoat fit pretty well and looked nice. All the stuff is a EG/WWM/workweary guy's dream at the prices. Like $30 for a denim shirt and $40 for the peacoat right now. I bought a denim shirt to wear as a light jacket over a white tee and bathing suit for the beach nights

4. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

There are a lot of examples of direct rips by Urban.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Rye's brand is stocked there?

Maybe not the most objective observer.

5. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I really think Urban Outfitters attracts a lot of hate because they decided to name themselves fucking Urban Outfitters. I've hated on them in the past and now I don't really give a shit.

I've also said before that you could put together a goth ninja outfit from Hot Topic that almost no one on the planet would be able to tell apart from Rick. If you still feel the need to cop Rick because you are in awe of his genius, you are NEXTLVLLOL and I am PREVIOUSLVLLOL.

Avant-garde fashion (or whatever) in general is sort of retarded. If you're a real artiste, you can't afford that shit. If you can afford that shit, chance are your money came from something that is the opposite of what a lot of those gloomy old fucks pretend to stand for. SoCal holla one time!

[​IMG]

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Also, I find it hilarious when people assume not a single person working for UO's creative dept (or wtf they call it) knows anything about design, etc. Where do you think a lot of these geniuses the supersheep jock got their start?

7. robin

robin Senior member

I'm not gonna lie, the UO koto stuff is actually pretty nice looking at the sale price. The cotton/canvas (i forget) peacoat fit pretty well and looked nice. All the stuff is a EG/WWM/workweary guy's dream at the prices. Like $30 for a denim shirt and $40 for the peacoat right now. I bought a denim shirt to wear as a light jacket over a white tee and bathing suit for the beach nights
    Workwear is not a good example for ripping off designs as most of the ideas used have been around for 50+ years (unless you're talking about specific signature details that these smaller brands developed by themselves, or the brand name itself).

8. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Avant-garde fashion (or whatever) in general is sort of retarded. If you're a real artiste, you can't afford that shit. If you can afford that shit, chance are your money came from something that is the opposite of what a lot of those gloomy old fucks pretend to stand for. SoCal holla one time!
    Come on man. I know you have to be at least part way trolling - but have you ever looked at a single fucking Rick Owens collection?

9. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I can only get through a few pics and then I have to rub one out...

10. robin

robin Senior member

Also, I find it hilarious when people assume not a single person working for UO's creative dept (or wtf they call it) knows anything about design, etc. Where do you think a lot of these geniuses the supersheep jock got their start?
    I think I got banned from posting comments on ACL when I posted a question about this topic in Michael's post on his visit to UO's design offices.

11. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Using Socal as the obvious joke that he is winds up being totally unfair to the designers who he represents by making their shit look like total abortions.

Socal is the 13 year old Avril Lavigne fan wearing the forever 21 Minor Threat t-shirt disguised in Rick Owens.

12. chronoaug

Workwear is not a good example for ripping off designs as most of the ideas used have been around for 50+ years (unless you're talking about specific signature details that these smaller brands developed by themselves, or the brand name itself).
    I'm aware of that, but the way they are marketed, some of the detailing/designs, and the way they're put together on the models at the store make it seem a lot like the brands i mentioned. I don't care at all. If anything it was a PSA for people who like that style. mazda- socal actually wears most of that rick/damir stuff pretty well. He's the perfect tall/lanky build for that kinda stuff too. I'm guessing you're not really sure what you're talking about but going for the safe joke? There was some company that had even Bson ripoffs which was kinda funny to me. A hoodie and one of their cowl tshirts. Looked almost exactly like it. Can't think of the brand. Think it was a house brand of some place like topshop or asos

13. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I think I got banned from posting comments on ACL when I posted a question about this topic in Michael's post on his visit to UO's design offices.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there shit, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic. EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there shit for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look fucking stupid.

14. chronoaug

I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there shit, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic. EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there shit for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look fucking stupid.
    Rick doesn't have that many "crazy" pieces. Usually various pants (some drop crotch but most either slim/skinny or loose), tanks/tees and then different jackets. Rick does a similar collection every season too. Some of the sufu guys have that bomber jacket from a few seasons ago and it looks badass. Also, a lot of the weird crazy stuff you see from runway collections don't actually make production or like 2-3 worldwide stores pick it up so that's not really fair of your to claim in your argument

15. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there shit, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic.

EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there shit for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look fucking stupid.

Stop saying random shit you don't know anything about. [​IMG]

Isn't this what all fast fashion places (topshop, h&m, UO, uniqlo, zara, club monaco, etc...) do? Also, same with low-mid end brands discussed on the forums or carried at lesser boutiques. I don't get it

This/my first post. I know, it's tough to swallow.