• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upcoming Trip to London -- Suggestions?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

I will be in London this next week for business and wanted to see if you all might suggest some of your Favorites? I've compiled a Google Map of some of the places I'm planning on visiting (see here). However, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to visit some of the more traditional retail establishments of London and, time permitting, any historical hotels / bars -- I always find a lot of character in these places.

Thanks!

Kirby

gopherblue

Reaction score
In Mayfair/West End, I'd recommend adding Crockett & Jones to your list--great value. Also, if you are a scotch drinker, stop by Berry Bros & Rudd on St James's Place. For lunch in that neighborhood, there is a great traditional English pub called the Audley, at 41 Mount Street (post code W1K 2RX). I had my rehearsal dinner in their upstairs room the night before my wedding--have a pint of bitter and a fish & chips for me.

If you fancy a true English umbrella (and with the current exchange rate, who wouldn't?), get yourself to James Smith and Sons on New Oxford Street. Trust me, buy one. Black, of course, with an applewood shaft (or whatever wood strikes you). And make sure it is the larger of the two standard men's umbrellas...you'll appreciate having the extra coverage when your sweetheart is with you.

Further afield: Go to Ottolenghi in Nottinghill or Islington (Islington for dinner). Amazing small dishes. Google them.

For the best pub in London (in my humble opinion), get thee to Hampstead and pay a visit to the Holly Bush. Outstanding old-school pub with spectacular food (try the fish pie or the beef pie and MAKE SURE YOU SAVE ROOM FOR A STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING FOR DESSERT).

If there on a day that the market is open (google it), go to the Borough Market near London Bridge station, and seek out the toasted cheese sandwich stand (ask anyone there to point it out). Best grilled cheese on G-d's green earth. The rest of the food market itself is pretty damn impressive too. While you're there, head over to the Whisky Exchange around the corner for even more scotch bargains.

Finally, don't forget to ask for VAT receipts for everything (scotch included). Can save you a bundle on top of the favorable exchange rate.

Enjoy!
Gopherblue

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
Well if you're there on Monday night you could go meet TTO et al - http://www.styleforum.net/t/271903/monday-madness-impromptu-style-forum-shoe-circle#post_4909969.

I second the suggestion of the Holly Bush - I always recommend visitors to London to get out of the centre and up to Hampstead and Highgate if they have the time. If you make it to the Bush for lunch you can walk off the sticky toffee pud with a stroll across the Heath, checking out Kenwood House (Rembrandt's self portrait is worth the effort alone if you like that sort of thing), and on to Highgate cemetery - a tour of the West side is one of the least known but most interesting things you can do in London I think. Then you can have dinner at The Bull and Last just down the hill on Highgate Rd - excellent food and you'll deserve it by then.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
As an old Hampstead resident, I have to say the Holly Bush is great, but I think the food is better at the Wrestler's Arms in Highgate. Go on Sunday and get the pork roast. Great Yorkshire puddings and try to sit by the fireplace.

Definitely go to the heath, though, and pass by my old place on Parliament Hill on the way. Wish I could be back there sooner.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads