• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique Suit Styles

Sazerac

Reaction score
A very good and succinct guide. If 99% of men followed the above advice the world would be 99% moar betterer.

Ihab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
To get the ideal fit, buy the suit size that best off the rack. Make sure it fits through the shoulders, correct jacket length etc. Then have it tailored (in house if its a reputable retailer) to get the bits that don't fit perfect OTR looking good (sleeve length, trouser hem, waist suppression if any)

A pair of well polished captoes, something like this http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

A classic tie such as a navy polka, navy knit, or a repp stripe.

A crisp white shirt with french cuffs and a white linen pocket square in a tv fold.

I guarantee you will look better than 99% of the guests there.

I really appreciate the advice.
What about a gray sharkskin fabric?
Something similar to this:
http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/..._10051_?cm_vc=

guyver00

Reaction score
I would have to disagree on the view to NOT stand out. I don't mean showing up in a gangsta suit with loud contrasting pinstripes, double breasted and peak lapels (Jay Z for example), but show up with individual flair. Maybe wear a suit with gray glen check, white shirt and a blue tie, or pink shirt with bow tie. This is just my opinion, since I'm also going to a wedding this March and I don't want to show up in a charcoal or navy blue suit like the next Joe Blow.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ihab
I really appreciate the advice. What about a gray sharkskin fabric? Something similar to this: http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/..._10051_?cm_vc=
This grey is too shiny. The charcoal suit from that link is a much better look imo. Just dont go with any of the shirt/tie combos suggested on that link
uhoh.gif
This is more the look I had in mind (from TM Lewin) minus the cardigan http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaex...ng_slide_0.jpg
Originally Posted by guyver00
I don't want to show up in a charcoal or navy blue suit like the next Joe Blow.
Joe Blows suit will be made from polyester and won't fit

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AncientSoul
Where do you find such a woman? I thought getting a woman's input in the matters of men's clothing was not SF approved.
confused.gif

Is it SF approved for a woman ask you for your input in the matters of women's clothing?
Although my response has always been "Not short enough." for pretty much everything.

Also allow me to reintroduce my favourite suit: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=215845
deadhorse-a.gif

pnin22

Reaction score
I don't know why you're fixed on getting the suit from men's warehouse. Even their models don't look good wearing them. For the $500 that they're charging, you can easily pick up a jacket and pants from a retailer like Banana Republic that will be much better in quality, fit and resale value.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ihab
Hello All

Needing some advice on finding a suit.

Going to a cousin's wedding and I want to go in looking very sharp and unique. I want to stand out and not just look like another guy wearing a suit off the rack.

I was thinking of a very bold pinstripe, similar to what was worn by Nucky on Boardwalk Empire, If anyone watches that show.
I know I want to wear a vest for sure, but am unsure of patterns colors etc. (maybe a brown pinstripe?, but that may be very lame..)

Weddding will be in Dubai, so weather will be cool, but not cold at all.

Biggest obstacle I face is the budget, which is around $4-500. I know it's hard to find anything really nice for that price range, but I'm a fresh graduate still on my first job and cash is limited.

I'm 6' tall with a stalky bodystyle, living in the Houston area if that helps.

Thanks in advance
Ihab

a bold stripe will make you look even more stalky. but thats ok if thats what you want.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AncientSoul
Where do you find such a woman? I thought getting a woman's input in the matters of men's clothing was not SF approved.
confused.gif

truth is that most fashion wise women are very good at mating garment color to skin color.
or you can go to a paint store. they can use their color chips to pick a good color for you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest checking out e-haberdasher's benjamin suits. well made and well priced. go for navy or charcoal 2 button notch lapels. Then wear a white french cuff shirt, white tv fold pocket square and a colorful tie like pink or purple or something. black shoes and belt, please buy some nice (by our standards) shoes and shine them. If it all fits, you're good to go.

Ihab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
a bold stripe will make you look even more stalky. but thats ok if thats what you want.

That makes sense, and no that's not really what I want.

Ihab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnin22
I don't know why you're fixed on getting the suit from men's warehouse. Even their models don't look good wearing them. For the $500 that they're charging, you can easily pick up a jacket and pants from a retailer like Banana Republic that will be much better in quality, fit and resale value.
I'm not really fixed on mien's warehouse. What off the rack suit retailers do you guys recommend? And I need a brick and mortar store, not an online store, because I'm in a bit of a time constraint. What's the general opinion on suit vests?

Ihab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
This grey is too shiny. The charcoal suit from that link is a much better look imo. Just dont go with any of the shirt/tie combos suggested on that link
uhoh.gif

This is more the look I had in mind (from TM Lewin) minus the cardigan

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaex...ng_slide_0.jpg

Joe Blows suit will be made from polyester and won't fit

Ok, I see what you had in mind.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of a time constraint are you in? I mean, you could always pick up a suit from forum affiliate Howard Yount [www.howardyount.com] if you have a limited amount of time but are still looking for a slim fit suit. His suits are a little bit 'edgier' if that is what you are looking for, without being over the top in the least. Also, shipping is going to take only a couple days, if that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics