• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

uniqlo heat tech for skiing?

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
going on a ski trip to Colorado in a week and was wondering if using uniqlo's heat tech as base layers would be good enough?

cumulative

Reaction score
I was at Keystone and A-basin over Christmas.

I think it would depend on what else you're wearing (like how warm your jacket is), and if you easily feel cold.

I felt really cold as the ski lifts took me to the tops of runs. Not moving felt cold. Tops of mountains felt cold. Night skiing felt cold.

I was in Columbia mid-weight baselayers, a North Face shell pant, and a pretty substantial Burton thinsulate jacket. I wouldn't have worn less. But I feel cold pretty easily.

jt10000

Reaction score
going on a ski trip to Colorado in a week and was wondering if using uniqlo's heat tech as base layers would be good enough?
Heat Tech is pretty thin for really cold weather base layers. That said, it seems comparable to other more outdoorsy brand's products of comparable weight in terms of warmth. So for standing around in the cold, pretty good stuff.

BUT I don't know how well they perform when slightly damp from sweat. If you try the stuff and find out, I'd love to know.

Last edited:

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
I am doing nightskiing at keystone as well, Ill buy a pair of thermals and long sleeves just to test, I am not easily cold but I hate not being warmly dressed enough, its either that or the academy Magellan/seirus stuff, anyone ever try those ?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been snowboarding in Furano with heat-tech (then a cashmere zip up and a Cappel jacket) and it's been fine.

jt10000

Reaction score
I am doing nightskiing at keystone as well, Ill buy a pair of thermals and long sleeves just to test, I am not easily cold but I hate not being warmly dressed enough, its either that or the academy Magellan/seirus stuff, anyone ever try those ?
Seirus makes quality stuff.

My perspective is cross country skiing, cycling and running.

cumulative

Reaction score
I forgot; I wore a fleece in addition to my insulating shell jacket.

Have something that covers your head, your face, a shell on top and bottom, at least a good insulating layer on top (like fleece or wool), and your uniqlo base layers, good gloves and socks, and you should be fine. (I'd do a thicker base layer on the bottom, or add an insulating layer to a thin base layer. But, I'm really sensitive to cold.) Keystone has a gondola that takes you to the top of a number of runs, so if you only ski there, you won't feel the cold or wind from sitting in a lift. It's a really nice feature. Have fun!

Last edited:

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
will cashmere wick away water relatively fast? Saw a lot of recs for merino wool. How come no one has suggested down material?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you currently have so that we can give you more specific advice?
Forecast for Summit County next week is highs in 30s. Night skiing at Keystone will probably be in 20s.

Ideally, I'd suggest an outer water resistant layer--either a shell or soft-shell, a mid-layer (e.g. fleece jacket or wool sweater), and an insulating base layer. Uniqlo heat-tech should be fine for the top. I usually like something thicker for my bottoms--my legs are usually warm when I ski, so I usually just ski in mid- or heavy-weight underwear bottoms or running tights under shell pants.

Nothing wrong with down as a mid-layer (though it could be too warm) but as an outer layer, if it gets wet it won't insulate. Cashmere will work as well, but I wouldn't wear my nice cashmere skiing.

If you ski with a helmet (strongly advised), your head will be warm.

A common misconception is to ski with overly thick socks or two pairs of socks. This can cut off the circulation to your feet and make them cold. I ski with thin liner socks in a close-fitting boot and my feet stay warm above 15F.

Last edited:

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
This is what I have so far, by the way i am mostly snowboarding

Jacket - 1. westbeach sub79 10k mm waterproof/10k gm breathability snowboard jacket
2. North End excursion soft shell jacket 8000mm waterproof/ 800g breathability
Pants - 1. Smarty 686 detacheable lining waterproof snowboard pants
2. Skigear pants waterproof coated
Midlayers - 1. Columbia omni therm stretch turtleneck fleech
2. a couple of polyester dry-fit long sleeves
3. a made in scotland cashmere sweater that i dont mind getting dirty
4. a couple of other uniqlo fleece zip up jackets,
5. a columbia down vest
Goggles - spy + dcp goggles
Gloves - Celtek Clan leather gloves

i have no socks for skiing, anything else i should consider buying?

thanks in advance

hu2838.jpg

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, for some reason I just assumed you were skiing. Snowboarding boots are much more forgiving on the feet so you have more leeway on the socks. A midweight pair of wool socks should be fine.

Looks like you have plenty of gear. The lined pants plus a base layer should be fine for the legs. Don't know the gloves but should be easy to get a pair at the resort if for some reason they're not warm enough.

road100

Reaction score
So I am actually checking the Uniqlo heattech as an under layer, was it good for skiing? Also does anyone recommend wearing the Uniqlo ultra light down jacket to skiing? I am going to Lake Tahoe. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads