• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understanding why half-canvassed suits are better than fully fused jackets

Kimistry

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading a lot about canvassed, half-canvassed, and fused suits. I understand the generally differences between them now. But there is one point that I'm still unclear about: for a half-canvassed suit, is the fusible still glued to the wool shell even though there is a half canvas stitched to it also? I was reading this page, and it states: "In a half-canvassed garment, fusible extends the entire length of the coat. However, the garment is stitched to the canvas material, assisting in the proper shaping and providing life to the coat." It also shows the red fusible running the entire length of the jacket. So how is the fusible attached to the wool shell? The following statement on the page seems to imply that it is not glued: "And because the top half of the jacket is not fused you’ll not run into any bubbling problems as you might in a fused jacket. This adds to the lifespan of the garment." Can anyone confirm that only the bottom half is glued to the fusible?

Thanks everyone and happy new year!

Last edited:

Kimistry

Reaction score
The main reason I asked this question was because if a half-canvassed jacket has fusible glued throughout the front of the jacket except the lapel, it would seem to not have any benefits over just a fused jacket (except for the lapel roll).

In doing more research, I found that the reason a fusible has to be glued to the entire length of the half-canvassed jacket is to prevent a line from showing where the fusible starts and stops. But the reason why a half-canvassed jacket is still better than a fused jacket is because a lighter fusible can be used thereby making the drape closer to that of a non-fused jacket:

Quote:
Really interesting stuff and finally helped to clarify why a half-canvassed with fusible along the full length of the jacket still is better than a fused jacket.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Anyone?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick to fully canvassed and avoid this salesman's shoddy tale.

Kimistry

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure what you mean? Obviously, fully canvassed is best, but for those that are not looking to spend so much, it is better to understand why a half-canvassed suit (from say suit supply) is still better than a fused (from like a designer).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads