Undershirts - Pima worth the extra money

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by csc67, Apr 16, 2011.

1. csc67

csc67 Senior member

I know I can pick up undershirts for ~3.00 each at Walmart / Target, but there are also some very nice ones manufactured out of 100% pima cotton that run ~$20.00. Do the benefits of the 100% pima undershirts outweigh the additional cost of them?

Any specific 100% pima undershirts manufacturers that you can recommend?

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Why buy undershirts?

3. gort

gort Senior member

For those ridiculously hot days you don't want to have embarrassing sweat spots on your shirt.

On those types of days I like to wear an under armour undershirt. They work ridiculously well.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I know I can pick up undershirts for ~3.00 each at Walmart / Target, but there are also some very nice ones manufactured out of 100% pima cotton that run ~$20.00. Do the benefits of the 100% pima undershirts outweigh the additional cost of them?

Any specific 100% pima undershirts manufacturers that you can recommend?

Pima is not worth it.

Now if you step all the way UP and buy Swiss cotton undershirt like the ones made by Zimmerli, than you can definitely notice the difference.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Pima is a very nice cotton and you can tell the difference. But is it worth the price? Probably not.

6. csc67

csc67 Senior member

Anyone else have thoughts on Pima cotton?

7. Patek

Patek Senior member

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

For those ridiculously hot days you don't want to have embarrassing sweat spots on your shirt.

On those types of days I like to wear an under armour undershirt. They work ridiculously well.

They even make a V-Neck! [​IMG]

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just like most materials there are various grades of Pima. (I happen to be helping a fashion designer right now research Pima resources in Peru, they vary a lot). Great Pima is, well great.

10. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

There are many aspects of my wardrobe that I will spend amounts much greater than average on. Underwear (and socks) are not one of them. I have purchased both Zimmerli underwear and Pantherella socks. Neither came close to justifying the cost long term over the TJ Maxx/Century 21 brands.

11. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

they don´t cost extra money! you can find pima cotton tees in New York, just check them out at uniqlo

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

+1 on uniqlo prices but they are not quite long enough IMO.

13. Tug

Tug Member

Anyone else have thoughts on Pima cotton?

hey there csc,

you can definitely feel the difference between some regular cotton undershirts and pima cotton undershirts. If you are starting on the low end ($3-$4) per undershirt and compare it to say a $20 pima cotton undershirt, you should notice that the fabric will feel much softer and somewhat silkier. This is because pima is a long staple cotton like egyptian cotton.

the reality is though, the key to finding a nice undershirt is equal parts fabric and overall fit. I have some really nice pima cotton undershirts, but some just don't fit right.

the frank truth is that you can find some really nice feeling and fitting undershirts in the $10-$15 range, and if you find one that fits well, you will be able to feel the difference immediately.

some good options are the cotton spandex blend undershirts like the alfani stretch from macys or the pima cotton undershirts from nordstrom. you might also want to try out the 1x1 rib pima cotton undershirts from 2xist.

there's a bunch more info on my site, but you might also want to check out sites like freshpair.com or barenecessities.com.

hope the info above helps!!
    best,
    tug
    undershirtguy.com

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I bought a Zimmerli undershirt but I don't like it as much as regular cheap undershirts, regardless of cost.

15. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

they don´t cost extra money! you can find pima cotton tees in New York, just check them out at uniqlo

to be exact they are made of www.supima.com cotton