• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uglier Than Crocs.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I'm guessing LK did not expect this threak to turn out this way. It has probably made him an alcoholic for sure.

LK must be actually very happy with the way the thread turned out...
devil.gif

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I spent a year in California training with some of the top distance runners in the world, many from Ethiopia and Kenya. Sure, these guys grew up running barefoot. Their bodies are also VERY different from most of ours. Lets not forget they ran on DIRT roads and DIRT tracks, not pavement. If you are 5'6" and weigh 85 pounds, you can probably pull these things off. If you are 5'9" and weight 196, you are asking for injuries, even if you do stick to the grass.

It is true that our bodies are meant to run barefoot, that is a no brainer. But, it is also true that we are not meant to be overweight, we are not meant to run on hard surfaces and we are not ALL meant to have the bodies capable of running long distances (survival of the fittest). We are all different...

Thanks for this and your other posts.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got no particular interest in either side of this shoe debate, but as someone who takes forensics (as in, argument) seriously, I do have to say that the people arguing for the barefoot trend in this thread have been far more compelling. Being the only posters citing peer-reviewed research certainly helps.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
These are what I saw a woman wearing with black leggings and a floral print sun dress:
img1-large.jpg

The black leggings puts it all in perspective. There is a phenomenon known in some quarters as "REI ugly." REI, for those who don't know, is a sporting goods "co-op" -- it's really just a regular store -- that specializes in outdoor sporting goods. It also offers a line of clothes that are both intentionally hideous and surprisingly expensive and which are designed for members of the granola crowd who wish to demonstrate their contempt for crass materialism by buying really ugly clothes produced in China for large corporations. Your lady friend is a perfect example of this aesthetic. Perhaps she had been posing for a catalog.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
These are what I saw a woman wearing with black leggings and a floral print sun dress:

img1-large.jpg

Remind walking the Opera years ago and watching American tourists walking around in trainers with a cocktail dress...

I know they must have swapped them a little bit later but these vivid metaphors of the triumph of comfort over elegance are still stuck in my mind...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D3pNV.jpg
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW! i

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since this thread has been zombified I'll address a few things, 'cuz why not.

Originally Posted by gladhands
In terms of increasing turnover (sprinting), the forefoot strike is preferable, however it places an inordinate amount of stress on the calf muscles because they have the bear the brunt of the impact and generate more of the rebound force. Prolonged (distance) running with a forefoot strike leads to accelerated muscle fatigue.

Your leg is still absorbing that energy with a heel strike. It's just going into your joints instead. And increased muscle fatigue means that those muscles will strengthen, which will mean that the effect will diminish over time. Just like lifting weights or whatnot- if you use the muscles more, they'll grow and become capable of more.

Originally Posted by Bounder
I will go against my normal inclinations and ask a serious question.

Why were running shoes with a high cushioned heel invented in the first place? There seem to be only two possibilities,

a) An unholy alliance between the Nike and orthopedic surgeons, sort of like Microsoft and Intel,

b) They were trying to make a shoe that mimicked proper running posture.

I pick b) because that is exactly what these shoes do, when you are standing still.

What happens when people run in Earth Shoes, i.e. shoes that have a low heel and a higher cushioned toe/foot ball?

Option b is correct. They originally put the heel on there to help runners get into position for starts by putting them on their toes and forcing their center of mass forward. Radically altering the way we run was not something they intended, and almost certainly not something they would have predicted.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This HAS to be photoshopped... Please tell me this is the work of Mr. Sam.
uhoh.gif

No according to the article these were painted on the human foot. There were also images of althletic shoe and high heel. Amazing.

By the way. I own Vibran five fingers and they are great. I have been buying Injinji socks lately too.

PS. Do not worry guys I do onw high end shoes too. The world is not going to end.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads