• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not care about Canelo anymore. Too much diva behaviour even before they caught him being a drugs cheat.

He should not and hopefully will not be the cash cow any longer now that we have guys like Usyk, Crawford, Spence, Lomachenko and hell even Anthony Joshua who have shown a greater proclivity to put things on the line.

There are too many good boxers around to put up with the crap that he and others have been pulling for years.

Even Garcia and Porter are fighting each other - that wouldn't have happened a few years ago, too risky a fight to take when you can just wait for your shot at the belt. Now that the talent pool has increased we're seeing guys have to take those types of fights. So I no longer have time for people who aren't going to put it all on the line.

None of those guys expect Joshua and Lomachenko will be cash cows. Joshua has the look, charm and has KO power etc.

Crawford, while skilled is ugly and hasn't beaten anyone of note. He maybe P4P #1 but he hasn't gotten a signature win over anyone good. He friggin Jeff Horn.

I read that article by Dan Rafael on ESPN and I would have to agree with him that as of right now other than Canelo, boxing has no other super star. That's why as bad as it is, they need Mayweather again.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To a boxing fan, it doesn't matter about who's the cash cow. It's getting those matchups. I'm excited about the welterweight division. You've got Errol spence, keith thurman, Crawford. On a lower level, Shawn porter, danny garcia, kell brook. Even Mikey Garcia wants to get in on that action. Maybe Loma one day. Any fights between those guys above will be a sure "must watch" for me.

Those guys that are fed up with Canelo have to remember that he's being represented by Oscar De la hoya. De la hoya never ducked ANYBODY and learned some lessons. He fought and lost to Mosely (twice), Trinidad, Pacquio, all fighters in their primes. Delahoya even fought (and lost) to B Hopkins at middleweight or maybe light heavy. So, maybe Canelo is cherry picking a little bit like waiting to fight a fading GGG.

But it's nothing compared to one of the greatest cherry picker in history: Mayweather. He ducked the prime Cotto, Pacquio, Delahoya, Mosely, Margarito and a few others I can't remember. Mayweather deserves credit as a good boxer, but not one of the all time greats IMO.

Phrost

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that besides Canelo and Joshua, boxing doesn't have a superstar. It's no coincidence that those fighters come from countries where the sport is popular.

It sucks but boxing isn't a mainstream sport like MMA/UFC is in the US. Wilder, who speaks his mind and is in the media, should be more popular than he is. Mayweather had to really put on a spectacle outside of the ring to be a crossover star in the US.

Mayweather is up there skill wise. He might've fought some guys out of their prime, but his skills speak for itself. He'd still win all of those fights convincingly.

davidmichaels

Reaction score
McGregor has to prove his dominance in UFC arena in his great comeback, but for that he has to beat the unbeaten Khabib, who claimed the title previously belonging to Conor, when the meet at UFC 229. McGregor vs Khabib is gonna be an amazing and brutal fight of this year. Because the build up to this match has been great with non stop talking of Mcgregor on ervery platform whereas less talking by Khabib. Lets see how it turns out.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To a boxing fan, it doesn't matter about who's the cash cow. It's getting those matchups. I'm excited about the welterweight division. You've got Errol spence, keith thurman, Crawford. On a lower level, Shawn porter, danny garcia, kell brook. Even Mikey Garcia wants to get in on that action. Maybe Loma one day. Any fights between those guys above will be a sure "must watch" for me.

Those guys that are fed up with Canelo have to remember that he's being represented by Oscar De la hoya. De la hoya never ducked ANYBODY and learned some lessons. He fought and lost to Mosely (twice), Trinidad, Pacquio, all fighters in their primes. Delahoya even fought (and lost) to B Hopkins at middleweight or maybe light heavy. So, maybe Canelo is cherry picking a little bit like waiting to fight a fading GGG.

But it's nothing compared to one of the greatest cherry picker in history: Mayweather. He ducked the prime Cotto, Pacquio, Delahoya, Mosely, Margarito and a few others I can't remember. Mayweather deserves credit as a good boxer, but not one of the all time greats IMO.

Totally disagree with this.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very well done. Watch 'till the end even after the credits start rolling!
Truly the ends of an era!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with HBO gone, the new DAZN project didn't get off to good start either. That Canelo-Fielding fight was a joke. Sure, Canelo is very good, but all I can say is that the Super Middleweight division doesn't have much depth if Fielding was in the world top ten. He didn't look like much more than a decent club fighter - he would have been embarassed just sparring with Canelo. He didn't look anything like as 'big' either, despite being taller and rangier. Okay, this was a fight to pass the time for Canelo and keep him from getting rusty, but as the headline for the debut of what is supposed to be the future of boxing broadcasting, it was a rip-off.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with HBO gone, the new DAZN project didn't get off to good start either. That Canelo-Fielding fight was a joke. Sure, Canelo is very good, but all I can say is that the Super Middleweight division doesn't have much depth if Fielding was in the world top ten. He didn't look like much more than a decent club fighter - he would have been embarassed just sparring with Canelo. He didn't look anything like as 'big' either, despite being taller and rangier. Okay, this was a fight to pass the time for Canelo and keep him from getting rusty, but as the headline for the debut of what is supposed to be the future of boxing broadcasting, it was a rip-off.

Totally agree.

I didn't subscribe to DAZN. I actually watched the fight on Periscope as a few people were streaming it. Glad I didn't bother. That was a sparring session for Canelo. Nothing more.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Former champion Whitaker hit by car, dies

ccdd89a1bd3a495487d421a72b09bf35_md.jpg

(As a huge boxing fan, PW was one of my 3 favorite fighters!)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ex-boxing champ jailed for sexually abusing his daughter
World champion Carlos Baldomir was sentenced to 18 years in jail for the repeated sexual abuse of his seven-year-old daughter.

7c8ee7b95dfaa3b4000ba9d30ce176c5

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ruiz vs Joshua 2....

Joshua by unanimous decision.

This fight was not close. Joshua went to school after the last fight and realized that Ruiz 2 could be a cakewalk.

He boxed, used his reach and didn’t brawl/trade. He said that he got hit by a few good shots, but nothing like J v R 1.

Ruiz had no answer, and by the middle of the fight, you could see that he was frustrated.

Ruiz came in at 283lbs and said after the fight that he TRAINED HIMSELF for a portion of this camp. What an idiot! He had no energy. He could not chase AJ and seemed to almost give up late in the fight.

Buster Douglas syndrome. Wins the championship and parties and gains weight and forgets what got him there.

He was pushing for a third fight...which isn’t necessary. AJ has the blueprint. If the fight was close.....yes. It wasn’t.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe that Ruiz came in even heavier than his last fight. There were multiple stories of how Ruiz trimmed down and lost weight but then ballooned up again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads