• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Advice

findingstyle

Reaction score
Hey Style Forum!
I am a long time reader and first time poster here on the forum. I have long had an interest in classic menswear yet I have never taken the time and money to bring the attention to detail necessary for a proper wardrobe. This is in part because I am a high school student with limited liberties for such things. With prom coming up I have decided that rather than rent a notch lapel atrocity from men's wearhouse or the like, I will put together a truly timeless tuxedo on a budget. My preference is personally for the shawl lapel yet it is difficult to find a proper one, the best I could find in my price range was an Ike Behar Evening. It has such concerns as a center vent, I would get this closed by my alterations tailor. Furthermore the lapels are on the narrow side at 1.75" or so by my estimate. The quality of construction on this tuxedo is questionable but would surely by adequate for wear on special occasions. My other option is to take a gamble on an eBay find. I would like to think that I have a decent knowledge base on style thanks to these forums amongst other things but shopping online comes with inherent difficulties. As such I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a vintage Brioni in my jacket size that is within my price range. My worry is that the jacket and or pants will not fit for some reason and this seller does not accept returns. My question to you is this; would you recommend that I buy the mediocre new suit or take the risk by buying the used brioni with no returns? I have already ordered evening pumps from broadband slipper, as well as a marcella shirt from TM Lewin. If anyone has input on putting the rest of the ensemble together it is more than welcome.
Many thanks!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a High School student, I really think buying a tuxedo is a bad idea. There's no guarantee you are done growing. As you said, you have limited funds. Buying a tux is a really poor use of those funds. Your money is much better spent updating your everyday wardrobe rather than buying a tux.

Besides all that, nothing says "pretentious douche" like a HS student buying a tux.

When building up your wardrobe as a 17 or 18 year old, you don't start with the most formal. Unless you're Bruce Wayne and regularly going to black tie events as a teenage Billionaire.

ThomGault

Reaction score
John, have you seen the prices for rentals? It may easily cost the same as a tux purchased on eBay. A cost-benefit analysis is surely needed, though, because as you said, the OP will probably grow a bit more.

findingstyle

Reaction score
John, my goal in buying a tuxedo is actually to come out below the cost of renting for two years. Tuxedo rentals are quite pricey when it comes down to it and I've found some fantastic deals online. Both tuxedos I mentioned come out to less than the price of renting for junior and senior prom. If I grow out of it then it'll be a thrift find for someone else with the added benefit of looking great at prom.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thom - $200 for a rental, including shoes, vest, tie etc. Which can be color coordinated to the date's dress. Trying to look like James Bond at a prom is not going to have a positive outcome. I stand by my statement - a 17 or 18 year old boy buying a tux will be perceived as a pretentious douche.

It's similar to a situation with my 10 year old son. While I wear pink shirts to work, it would be completely inappropriate and cause him all kinds of grief if HE wore them at 10 to his school.

Again, others have a different take and that's OK. We all don't have to look at things the same way.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw the OPs response - If thrift is a concern, as long as you're going to rent a tie/vest to match your date and not try to look like you're 30 years old, I can see saving money. Just don't try to be James Bond at 17

findingstyle

Reaction score
Yes renting is the easy option but for the price I walk away with nothing and I will likely not look my best, notch lapels and colored vests abound at the few rental places near me. As someone with an interest in style I'd rather take the extra time to put together something special, the cost really isn't an issue. It's not as if I'm purchasing new, I'm looking at tuxedos that do not even approach $500. So I return to my question, take the risk of buying vintage online or go with something I can return?

ThomGault

Reaction score
Do you have any jackets now that fit you well? If so, you could measure them and try to find a match online. If I was reasonably certain that I could get a jacket that had a reasonable chance to fit me from eBay, I'd choose that route. Some sellers offer returns if it doesn't fit (you'll likely will pay postage), otherwise, if the measurements are grossly wrong, you should be able to return it at the sellers expense. If the measurements are close, hopefully it can be tailored to fit well.

findingstyle

Reaction score
The Brioni I found is in my size and the price is very reasonable, the pictures and description are not the most informative but it looks to be in good condition. The jacket should fit with some alterations I believe but the pants are a bit short. If they have been tailored can they be brought back out a bit? I am only worried because this is a large purchase even though it is just the cost of renting and this seller does not accept returns.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Ask the seller if there is extra material for the trousers to be lengthened. If the seller doesn't respond clearly, or doesn't seem to know, avoid the purchase and move on. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble and regret

Last edited:

findingstyle

Reaction score
Many thanks! I'm new to the whole eBay thing so I was hesitant but I would rather purchase a quality used tuxedo than a poorly made new one. Does this appear to be in good condition? The picture isn't very good but I think I'm going to pull the trigger if the seller responds clearly. Thanks again for the advice.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a tux truly the dress code for your prom? Would you be turned away at the door for wearing a perfect navy suit that would be far more useful every day? Would your date be appalled by your rakishly sprezzy non-tux style statement?

These are the questions I would be asking myself.

findingstyle

Reaction score
That is a fantastic word of advice Maxalex! The dress code is officially black tie but that is quite obviously broken by the many in colored bow ties and often garish suits. I own 5 suits currently with one being navy but I cannot speak for their quality, they are OTR department store quality. My money would likely be better spent on a suit of higher quality so I will certainly consider that option. Thanks!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you planning on buying tie, vest, shoes separately?

findingstyle

Reaction score
Indeed I am. I plan on just purchasing a cheap tie and perhaps waistcoat if I can find one. It is very difficult to find a traditional waistcoat so I may opt for the cummerbund due to the relative abundance of cheap options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads