• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Advice for European Model / Actor Wedding [Pictures Included]

slappy

Reaction score
I'm going to Europe in a bit to attend a wedding between a model and an actor. Believe me, I don't have any connections to either profession and do not want to stick out at this black tie affair. Can anyone please advise if any of these would fit the bill?

Please assume that all of these are available for between $1000-$1300. I am ok spending this amount, as I think I can use the tuxedo for other affairs later on. If not, that's ok also. Additionally, I wear a 42R (maybe on the fatter side of that currently but have begun a diet / exercise program for this wedding and so should be comfortably 42R).

These are in roughly my order of preference. SuitSupply is of course less than the price above, but I honestly don't love how their Shawl tuxedo looks.

• Polo Ralph Lauren
This is sort of the classic per my understanding, straight down the middle. I looked for a while but could not find a Ralph Lauren Black Label 42R available, I used to really like that brand. I was initially thinking I wanted a shawl tuxedo, but they do not appear to make one.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.45.41 AM.png

• Brunello Cucinelli Navy Blue Peak-Lapel Tuxedo
I like this one, but I'm concerned it may be too blue. It's a Navy I believe, and not a midnight navy. The first image is clearly from a professional shoot, and the second is a very low quality image of the actual tuxedo. Note that the label is crossed off, Im not entirely sure what that means.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.34.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.34.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.34.50 AM.png

• BRUNELLO CUCINELLI Charcoal Gray Wool Blend Satin Tuxedo

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.33.52 AM.png

• MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA SUIT BLACK WOOL 2BTN SHAWL
I liked this one a lot, until I noticed the pants lack a satin stripe down the sides. Instead, the satin is on the waist which I believe would be covered.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.44.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 10.03.33 AM.png

• Dior Homme Tuxedo
This is the kind of thing I picture myself looking amazing in, but in all reality I doubt it would look good. The front rise is 9.75 inches, and I picture it being aggressively skinny (though I do not know for sure).
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.35.30 AM.png

• Suit Supply
I know people like this brand, but the shawl looks off to me.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.46.44 AM.png

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of those look fine to me except the Margiela and the Dior. They are just too fashiony for me but you'll have to make your own decision. I wouldn't worry too much about standing out. The beauty of black tie is that you already know exactly what everyone else will (or should) be wearing. It should be the simplest dress code you'll ever dress for.

slappy

Reaction score
All of those look fine to me except the Margiela and the Dior. They are just too fashiony for me but you'll have to make your own decision. I wouldn't worry too much about standing out. The beauty of black tie is that you already know exactly what everyone else will (or should) be wearing. It should be the simplest dress code you'll ever dress for.

Thanks. Note that the bowtie doesn't come with the Margiela, my concern was with the lack of stripe on the pants (in case thats why you think its too fashiony). Do you think the Navy tuxedo is appropriate? I'm just concerned with looking too blue I guess ha

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The super skinny lapels, satin waistband, short looking length, no pant stripe, all of it goes toward making it a fashion item that will look dated in five years. In fact, I think it already looks dated. A navy tuxedo is a little different but it is infinitely better looking than the Margiela and Dior. If you are uncomfortable with the color then you have answered your own question.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

slappy

Reaction score
The super skinny lapels, satin waistband, short looking length, no pant stripe, all of it goes toward making it a fashion item that will look dated in five years. In fact, I think it already looks dated. A navy tuxedo is a little different but it is infinitely better looking than the Margiela and Dior. If you are uncomfortable with the color then you have answered your own question.

Yes, you are quite correct. I like the blue color, maybe I'll walk over the Brunello store to see what their navy looks like - assuming they have a suit or tuxedo in that color. Ralph Lauren is still maybe on top for me

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stray away from the 2 button or flap pocket tuxedos, and personally would look for a fabric covered 1-button. I love the SS wide-shawl look, but SS also has a peak option (although it is rather bold as well). As noted recently in the State of Black Tie thread, models and actors generally don't adhere strictly to the rules of black tie so I doubt you'll stand out any which way. If anything you'd want to adhere to the rules so that you new tux will be applicable to any and all future black tie events.

I recently ordered a Kent Wang MTM tux w/ a peak lapel (it would definitely be in your range)and am hoping it'll arrive sometime next week!

edit: www.ehaberdasher.com has a few affordible classic tux options as well

slappy

Reaction score
I'd stray away from the 2 button or flap pocket tuxedos, and personally would look for a fabric covered 1-button. I love the SS wide-shawl look, but SS also has a peak option (although it is rather bold as well). As noted recently in the State of Black Tie thread, models and actors generally don't adhere strictly to the rules of black tie so I doubt you'll stand out any which way. If anything you'd want to adhere to the rules so that you new tux will be applicable to any and all future black tie events.

I recently ordered a Kent Wang MTM tux w/ a peak lapel (it would definitely be in your range)and am hoping it'll arrive sometime next week!

edit: www.ehaberdasher.com has a few affordible classic tux options as well

I actually kind of like the 2 button look on certain tuxedos, but yea the classic is one. Yea i mean, I've seen the list of groomsmen / bridesmaids and they could wear literally anything and it would look great on them. I dont expect to match a 6 foot 7 male model in appearance, but I just want to 'fit' in as I cant imagine rubbing elbows with a similar crowd again in my lifetime (sort of petty I know).

Thats awesome about the MTM, hope it turns out great.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Polo Ralph Lauren

The best of the bunch

• Brunello Cucinelli Navy Blue Peak-Lapel Tuxedo
  • BRUNELLO CUCINELLI Charcoal Gray Wool Blend Satin Tuxedo

Both are the wrong color.
  • MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA SUIT BLACK WOOL 2BTN SHAWL
  • Dior Homme Tuxedo

Both utterly horrible. Will indeed look dated very quickly.
  • Suit Supply

Respectable.

Some of the other options offered you, above, will also serve you very well.

slappy

Reaction score
The best of the bunch

Both are the wrong color.
Both utterly horrible. Will indeed look dated very quickly.
Respectable.

Some of the other options offered you, above, will also serve you very well.

Brutally honest, love it. Alright I'm going to try on the Ralph today. There is a 42s RLBL on eBay for pretty cheap, but at 5 9.5 that may look awkward

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads