• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turning Corners

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
I've gone from not liking any brogueing on my shoes to wanting more and more brogueing.

+1.

Just a year ago I thought brogued shoes looked ridiculous, but the turning process was swift and painless.

Biscione

Reaction score
I used to love jeans, but I haven't worn any for well over a year. I've thrown out all but a few pairs, and I don't intend to wear them any time soon.

This is probably my biggest turn. While my preferences are constantly changing, it's unusual for me that something that was a staple to my wardrobe to a near daily status has completely vanished (and I live a life where I could still wear jeans every day if I wanted to).

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, solids only for me so far. Or ties that are "functionally solid."

There are two colors in that tie, but they blend together so well that the tie works as a solid for all practical purposes. The latest two I got were like that, but not that color. I would get this one in heartbeat if I knew where to get it.

I doubt I will ever come around in the horizontal stripe. I've learned to never say never, but ...

I saw some knits with woven dots at Rubinacci, and they looked nice, but I need my fill of solids before I branch out. I really need a navy, and will get one in the city next week.

@ Manton

- Just for you, the tie you are referring to is by Gallo.
- Here's another variation though by Zegna (the narrow end is woven silk navy - I originally thought it was a version of a reversible tie, but not so.
L1020276.jpg

L1020272.jpg

- & as for horizontal stripes
L1000715.jpg

L1000707.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I used to write off windowpanes, and now I wear stuff like this:

yfyf20080321rekl5.jpg

yfyf20080226rewn0.jpg

Also, I used to wear just odd jackets all the time and saved the suit for "occasions". Now, I wear a full suit whenever I want. My mindset has become "suits are not formal or special, they are just another garment". I like suits because I think they are a beautiful type of clothing, just like some folks favour two door convertibles or the colour red.

migo

Reaction score
Coz I'm short, I used to be a bit scared of patterns in general...I've slowly started to turn though, that and cuffs on my pants! speaking of horizontal, knit stripes:
IMG_0120-1.jpg
IMG_0117-2.jpg
not so noticeable, but yea

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
- Here's another variation though by Zegna (the narrow end is woven silk navy - I originally thought it was a version of a reversible tie, but not so.
L1020276.jpg

I bought that Zegna in solid burgundy (they were sold out of the navy) and I love it. It ties the best knot of any knit tie I've seen and yours is a fine specimen indeed. Zegna have had an excellent selection of knits the last couple of seasons.

And the other thing I've turned the corner on lately is printed ties. I used to hate them and can't seem to get enough of them now - especially the 50oz silk used by H&B.

Bsquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
@ Manton

- Just for you, the tie you are referring to is by Gallo.
L1020276.jpg

L1020272.jpg

- & as for horizontal stripes
L1000715.jpg

L1000707.jpg

Love that striped tie!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
75 quid! Knits at Rubinacci are 40.

45 before VAT rebate and FWIW R's knit are the best
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
These forums are responsible for my adoption of a number of things I used to abhor:

1. high-waisted trousers w/ braces. I always thought both were for octogenarians. Seeing how they actually looked in forum members' pictures changed my mind.
2. pocket squares. I considered these the province of fops--except white or cream silk with a dinner jacket. Reading the constant refrain that one isn't dressed without a pocket square convinced me to try them--though still only linen and cotton so far.
3. brown shoes with blue suits. I always found this annoyingly Ivy League but I've gotten over my hatred.
4. patterned shirts. I've always had an irrational dislike of stripes, the bold British type, but had never considered fine stripes or checks. I'm not sure why I tried them but now I'm enamored of them.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the two tone silk knit. Hermes has similar stuff laying about in their backrooms if you inquire. I recently snagged a four tone from them, though it was like pulling teeth.
L1020272.jpg

flatfront

Reaction score
For me the biggest turning point has been brown shoes in a work setting.
Being based in England it had always been black for me at work. Now I cannot remember the last time I wore black shoes. I do remember my bank manager being a lot happier though
blush.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sharpest corner for me probably relates to spending limits on any particular piece
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I have no idea why but I could not stand monkstrap loafers. They just didn't make sense to me. I hated them.

And again, I have no idea why, or how, or when but somewhere along the line monkstraps became my favorite type of shoe. I think I've got 5 or 6 pairs but there is one pair (pictured below) that I just love. I've really gotten away from black shoes in general (another corner for me) and used to abhor the "dress shoe with jeans look" but there's something bad-motherfucker-cool about the ever-so-slightly-distressed dark wash of my Levi's Skinners juxtaposing with spit-shined English craftsmanship.

Granted that that particular look might be considered "fashionable" or "trendy" right now, but the shoes themselves are classics. If there was ever an "ideal travel shoe" or one ultimate in diversity and flexibility I would say this might be it. I would not hesitate to wear these with a suit but also have "a vestigial sense that this is ... not done!". Now if I could just get over my loathing of the OCBD
lookaround.gif

85-82-photo3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads