• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turning Corners

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This thread on LL got me thinking:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=7731

Toward the end there, the discussion turned to what is the most versatile shoe for travel. One very elegant gentleman opined that a high quality slip-on may be the perfect travel shoe, wearable even with suits. I can't go that far. But I felt none of the old revulsion, just a vestigial sense that this is ... not done! For the first time, ever, I could imagine one day wearing a nice loafer with a suit -- a casual suit, but still.

It got me thinking. Is there any garment or practice that you once despised or foreswore for any reason, that you have since come around on? And if so, why? What led you there?

One example: I used to hate square end knit ties. Just hate them. Very recently, I turned. I'm not sure how it happened. I think it started with this pic:

L1020281.jpg

Then I saw some knit ties in a store; I had not gone in to buy anything, just to browse. One was a lovely, unique color I call Sea Foam. I bought it on the spot.

p1020316aq0.jpg

Since then, I have bought two more knits, and wear them every chance I get.

Strange.

One more example. I have always despised bluchers with a suit (except monks, not sure why the exception, but there we are).

This picture began to change my mind:

duke3rq.jpg

I saw it many times, over many years, before it had any effect on me. Then about two years ago, suddently it started to creep into my head. I still didn't change my habits, but I started thinking about it.

About a year after that, I saw Mariano Rubinacci in London wearing a very sleek sharkskin suit, with tan scotch grained double-soled longwings. I was shocked to find that I thought it looked great.

But it still took another year before I actually did it myself:

p1020620zg1.jpg

p1020623tk7.jpg

Anyone have similar stories?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The big one for me would be silk instead of linen pocket squares. I was sort of brow beaten into trying it, but since then have not looked back.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was ecumenical about pocket squares from the beginning and still am.

Who did the browbeating?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I was ecumenical about pocket squares from the beginning and still am.

Who did the browbeating?

Mariano, in his not quite perfect English, told me that he didn't like people who wore white linen pocket squares. His daughter corrected him saying that he disliked white linen squares and not the people, to which he agreed. Still, between that and him shoving silk square after silk square into my pocket, I finally gave in. I still like cotton and linen, but more patterns than plains.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW - I had some minor influence! I need to sit down & light up a cigar (& it is 0615 AEST)..

FYI - In the last 5 years I try to wear strictly knit ties (even to a cocktail event) & have always received compliments (negative from mass males, positive from females - something about the texture..)

Back to topic:

I used to only wear Italian tailored classics by the likes of Brioni, Carusso & Corneliani.. But now wear a LOT of Giorgio Armani. What changed? My tailor retired & there really is not much choice in Australia so I spent a day trying on OTR suits & found that the relaxed style GA fitted me physically & my life style. Though I do not subscribe to wearing any designer head-to-toe or trying to look like their "look books", I now wear a lot of GA for professional settings (though have made it my look - I hope & judging from WAYWT, I only get positive feedback) & wear a mix for my travel & w/end attire such as:

Helmut Lang denim
APL jeans
Etro shirts
Brunello Cucinelli jackets & sweaters
RM Williams MTM boots
EVEN Banana Republic or Club Monaco!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Mariano, in his not quite perfect English, told me that he didn't like people who wore white linen pocket squares. His daughter corrected him saying that he disliked white linen squares and not the people, to which he agreed. Still, between that and him shoving silk square after silk square into my pocket, I finally gave in. I still like cotton and linen, but more patterns than plains.

Sometimes white linen is the only choice.

Funny, I wear a lot of different squares, colors, patterns, fabrics, etc. But to me white linen always looks good. It's a staple on a par with stitch caps, blue shirts, grenadine ties, and gray suits.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have aversion to slightly more pointy-toed shoes (i.e., extended toe box), until I bought a pair of Helmut Lang's a few years ago that had very subtle broguing. Ever since, I've had an appreciation for slightly more pointy-toed shoes, even though I know they don't get a lot of love from the more trad set here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I started out prefering chisel to round, and have slowly moved toward round. I don't count that as turning a corner, because I never hated round, and never thought it was "inappropriate" with X, Y, or Z or anything.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My 'corner' would be cutting back on crazy colors. I'm sure if you go back to my oldest posts on AAAC you'd find some utterly ridiculous recommendations.

I admit, I don't like linen squares. I can see picking up a nice white one, just because, but they always look so harsh to me--like folded up paper, crinkly at the edges. I understand you don't always want a shiny silk square, but I wonder how much one really needs linen when you can get silk in so many different finishes. I guess to make matters worse, I don't like it when points are flying all over the place, like an evil jester is hiding in your pocket.

Then, of course, there are the elusive cashmere squares I can't find anywhere.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I started out intensely hating the Budapester style of shoe. But I've done a 180 ever since I bought my first pair of Dinkelackers.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
One example: I used to hate square end knit ties. Just hate them. Very recently, I turned. I'm not sure how it happened. I think it started with this pic:
L1020281.jpg

It's easy to be seduced by the very beautiful. What amazing colors. Do you recall where it's from?
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
WOW - I had some minor influence! I need to sit down & light up a cigar (& it is 0615 AEST).. FYI - In the last 5 years I try to wear strictly knit ties (even to a cocktail event) & have always received compliments (negative from mass males, positive from females - something about the texture..)
The first rule of clothing I learned - and for a long time, it was the only one - was 'Always wear something a woman would like to touch.' Knits, woolens and grenadines all fall into that category, as does (did?) microsuede
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I started out intensely hating the Budapester style of shoe. But I've done a 180 ever since I bought my first pair of Dinkelackers.

Me coming to love the Budapester would be more like jumping the center divide and doing a U-turn in oncoming traffic.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
It's easy to be seduced by the very beautiful. What amazing colors. Do you recall where it's from?

The first rule of clothing I learned - and for a long time, it was the only one - was 'Always wear something a woman would like to touch.' Knits, woolens and grenadines all fall into that category, as does (did?) microsuede
smile.gif

@ letmebefel
- the tie is from Gallo & I chose it whilst thinking about my girl..
- The rule is very important, one of the marked increase of feedback I noticed when wearing GA suits to my classic suits that females (that I know & that I don't know) were always complimenting whether about the shape, the movement or the fabric (& to think that the GA suits were on average 1/2 the price I used to pay for a Brioni)
- & women like complications, such as colour & texture..

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My wife despises my knit ties.
frown.gif

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The big one for me would be silk instead of linen pocket squares. I was sort of brow beaten into trying it, but since then have not looked back.

Funny, I switched the other way - used to wear silk but ditched them all and now only wear white linen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads