• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turning Corners

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had palpable disgust for the "security guard" uniform: blue blazer, grey pants, red tie, black shoes. Since I only saw it done horrible by security guards everywhere I couldn't see it as an acceptable combination. That is, until I started seeing SF members wear that combination with style and aplomb. Now I'm coming around.

Related, I never cared for the traditional blue blazer either. Again, I rarely saw them being worn tastefully in real life I developed an aversion to them. Thanks to DocHolliday's "world's best blue blazer" I'm fast reconsidering...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I gave up ridiculous big tie knots in favor of a nice, small four in hand. It was an easy switch, once I saw how tacky the former looked.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never see myself wearing chisel toe shoes, a just thought they looked extreme without some rounding to them. One pair of AE Sohos later and I am looking at chisel toe lasts in everything.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I gave up ridiculous big tie knots in favor of a nice, small four in hand. It was an easy switch, once I saw how tacky the former looked.

You have a pretty broad definition of "ridiculous big knot." I.e., anything bigger than a Pachinko ball.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Me coming to love the Budapester would be more like jumping the center divide and doing a U-turn in oncoming traffic.

I would normally be with you there, but the plain-toed variety from Koronya (second up from the bottom) has got me thinking. Medium brown, light grain, wide-wale cords...

http://www.koronya.com/page1.php

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have a pretty broad definition of "ridiculous big knot." I.e., anything bigger than a Pachinko ball.
My brother used to have a Pachinko game. I loved that thing. FWIW, I would not consider your knots ridiculously large, they are in proportion with the tie. I am talking more about half windsors or full windsors, or really any knot that is used to make the tie knot larger than it would be with a regular four in hand. Sometimes an extra wrap is ok, sometimes knot
wink.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I used to wear big knots--actually, thats probably a more significant 'corner' for me than the colors issue. Once you switch, everything seems big.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I do hate the full and half Windsor, and always have. It's not so much the size, but the shape. Even with a thin tie that could tie a smallish half windsor, I just hate the symetricallity of it.

A few of my cashmere ties are so fluffy that they tie big knots with a FIH. I pull them tight, but still. I don't mind it so much, but they are a little bigger than I like. I like the patterns, so I keep them.

Then I have a few that tie knots so small they would look ridiculous on me. Those get the Prince Albert treatment. The vast, vast majority of my ties tie a decent FIH. The knot sizes are not uniform, but within respectable parameters.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the wool ties, I think you've taken a wrong turning, I agree with your original instincts.

I think I'm set in my ways though suppose in time anything can happen.

I was recently shocked to see my father in slip on shoes, and he says he now prefers them to lace ups. I'm sure its from him my original dislike of slip on shoes comes from, so who knoes....

TKDKid

Reaction score
I've gone from not liking any brogueing on my shoes to wanting more and more brogueing.

Currently looking for a nice pair of semi-brogues...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
& women like complications, such as colour & texture..

My wife despises my knit ties.
frown.gif

My girlfriend hates mine too. She doesn't like anything too busy, or with too small a pattern. She says it gives her a headache.
laugh.gif

That seems pointless to me. A knit tie is what it is and has a certain integrity. Giving it a pointy end is just a cheap cheat, and makes it look bad. It's not a regular folded tie and should not preten to be.

I like all knits in all their variety, and have my first pointy one coming now. Almost never wear the ones with narrow horizontal stripes, though. Have a bunch of them, too -- came to the realization only after it was too late.

Binge, glad to hear I'm bringing you around to the wonders of the versatile blazer. I'm a convert myself. There are just so many terrible ones out there. That's why finding the right one was such an epiphany for me.

Turning points ... I used to dislike buttondown shirts, now wear them frequently. Wearing one today, actually. And I used to wear strictly lace ups, but now live in chelseas and, to a lesser degree, monks. Still don't dig most loafers, though.

In general, I've become much less uptight about clothing, and hopefully my stuff reflects this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Almost never wear the ones with narrow horizontal stripes, though. Have a bunch of them, too -- came to the realization only after it was too late.

Yeah, solids only for me so far. Or ties that are "functionally solid."

L1020281.jpg

There are two colors in that tie, but they blend together so well that the tie works as a solid for all practical purposes. The latest two I got were like that, but not that color. I would get this one in heartbeat if I knew where to get it.

I doubt I will ever come around in the horizontal stripe. I've learned to never say never, but ...

I saw some knits with woven dots at Rubinacci, and they looked nice, but I need my fill of solids before I branch out. I really need a navy, and will get one in the city next week.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are two colors in that tie, but they blend together so well that the tie works as a solid for all practical purposes. The latest two I got were like that, but not that color. I would get this one in heartbeat if I knew where to get it.

I doubt I will ever come around in the horizontal stripe. I've learned to never say never, but ...

I saw some knits with woven dots at Rubinacci, and they looked nice, but I need my fill of solids before I branch out. I really need a navy, and will get one in the city next week.

Smart to get the navy, I think. It's one of my most worn ties, up there with solid grenadines. I still dig the knits with fat horizontal stripes -- very '60s -- even if I don't wear them much. But my latest craze is the dotted version. They're so rare I always find them striking. I really like this one with a pointed end from Kilgour:

http://www.kilgour.eu/product_info.p...id/71/cPath/23

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
75 quid! Knits at Rubinacci are 40.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads