• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuesday Face-off!: Anden v. An Acute Style

FIGHT!

• Anden

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 29 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted for the black watch fetishist.
Did someone say black watch?
drool.gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anden should be automatically disqualified for presenting such a sloppy-looking tie in public.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a beautiful (beautiful to me, even if every woman and half the men I ever meet will call it an eyesore) blackwatch tartan sport coat. It is a fine wool weave, like a blazer not chunky like a field weight one (apologies for lay terms, I really need to learn more about textiles).
Of course I will wear it with jeans, and I think it would look great with a dark charcoal trouser around the holidays but I am really struggling to visualize many shirt/tie/trouser combinations.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

J

First of all, get the idea of charcoal trousers out of your head. Jeans would be OK, but you still have to watch how dark they are. Black watch is a very dark pattern, so you are going to need some contrast in your trousers. Charcoal wont provide that. In fact, I don't think there are many things at all that you can do with charcoal trousers. To me they are near useless as odd trousers. A lot of folks here will recommend mid gray or something of the like, and I think that's a good place to start. If you are daring, you might pair it with light brown trousers. As for the shirt and tie...

J011yroger

Reaction score
Ok, I figured this wouldn't be easy, but I loved the jacket so much I had to buy it. (I really want a blackwatch shawl collar DJ too!)

Put my navy grenadine tie up against it, and my eyes bled a little.

I'll scavenge the closets, put some looks together, and post pictures.

I am determined to not have this jacket relegated to light jeans and white OCBD duty.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

J

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I figured this wouldn't be easy, but I loved the jacket so much I had to buy it. (I really want a blackwatch shawl collar DJ too!)

Put my navy grenadine tie up against it, and my eyes bled a little.

I'll scavenge the closets, put some looks together, and post pictures.

I am determined to not have this jacket relegated to light jeans and white OCBD duty.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

J

Listen, this is a jacket you can really do a lot with. Just understand the principles and use some imagination. It is not at all and ugly pattern for a jacket.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Would navy or hunter pants be disqualified for being matchy? Yellow would be unseasonal. I don't think I could bring myself to wear any shade of brown or tan.

Meh, I'll figure something out, I'm a resourceful SOB.

J

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Would navy or hunter pants be disqualified for being matchy? Yellow would be unseasonal. I don't think I could bring myself to wear any shade of brown or tan.

Meh, I'll figure something out, I'm a resourceful SOB.

J

Remember, you are looking for contrast here. Navy would be too dark here, hunter green is just way too much green. It would start to look costumey. If you don't like brown then stick with mid gray. You can't go wrong.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like AAS ran away with this one. What do you say AAS? Would you like to choose the next two contestants for next week, or would you like to defer back to me?
I can do it, but I'm not sure what my time frame will be.

Hats of to you AAS!
cheers.gif

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No worries. This is a pretty informal thing anyway. I think we would prefer, however, if it was as close to Tuesday as possible, so that it wont divide people's attentions from the Friday Challenge. Anyway, have fun! Can't wait to see who you pick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads